We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seat Reservation Norwegian Air

6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Seat Reservation Norwegian Air

Hello! I recently booked a ticket for myself and my boyfriend with Norwegian Air from Dublin-NYC. We bought lowfare tickets, which come without seat reservation. tickets for both of us were around €280 and seat reservations were €60, which was an astronomical rate (in my opinion anyway). How can we make sure we sit next to eachother on our flight? Thank you!!!

18 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,471 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seat Reservation Norwegian Air

Have you tried logging into your booking on the airline website to select your seats?

6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Seat Reservation Norwegian Air

sure have! costs €30 per person, was also offered this option during booking i just think it’s too much to pay!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,366 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seat Reservation Norwegian Air

'i just think it's too much to pay!' I think it's a bit pricey too, to some extent.

The advertised low fares are tempting, but Norwegian has unbundled costs such that one pays extra (whether a higher base fare or with optional add ons) with that low fare unless one is willing to select seats at OLCI, have no need for a blanket or pillow and do a bit of self-catering.

If you want to ensure you can sit next to your boyfriend then you can pay for seat selection now or keep your fingers crossed that all will go well at OLCI. Whether the optional seat selection charge is right/wrong, too much/just right isn't at issue right now; the subject of unbundling of fares has been discussed here plenty of times in the past.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,619 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seat Reservation Norwegian Air

How can we make sure we sit next to each other on our flight?

================

The only guarantee way to achieve this is to pay for it.

I'm sure you won't, but some people don't pay and then expect others (who have paid for a specific seat) to move to accommodate them. That's a surefire way to annoy your fellow passengers.

I've heard it all before: I have a child, I can't sit alone, oh - you're travelling solo (i.e., you don't matter) - move for us ... Nope.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,502 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seat Reservation Norwegian Air

"How can we make sure we sit next to eachother on our flight?"

Pay the extra fee to reserve adjacent seats

-JimG

6. Re: Seat Reservation Norwegian Air

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 November 2017, 16:45

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
58,741 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seat Reservation Norwegian Air

If you think that it's too much to pay, take your chance sat OLCI, but please don't complain if you aren't sitting together. I wouldn't have high expectations of being allocated adjacent seats by Norwegian at that point, but you never know.

If it's important to you to sit together, then pay to choose your seats now.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seat Reservation Norwegian Air

Pay peanuts = sit separately.

I'd be paying the €30 myself.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
58,741 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seat Reservation Norwegian Air

I expect that the flights themselves were very cheap, which is why the seat selection fee seems high in comparison. The answer is to compare the full cost of flying with a carrier such as Norwegian against the total price with other airlines.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,508 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seat Reservation Norwegian Air

Whatever the cost of seat selection may be, you must have known what it was when you booked your seat. As I assume you also know what the other add on costs that Norwegian add to their very basic bargain fares, after all, it's all on their website and made clear as you go through the online booking process. If you want those benefits, you need to factor them into your bottom line travel costs, or go without.

Whether, if you opt not to pay, you have a good, likely, unlikely or no chance of getting to sit together, I cannot say, and probably nobody else can. It will depend on lots of things like how many seats get sold, and of those, how many other passengers to decide to pay to sit where they want on the aircraft, plus when you check in or arrive at the airport, etc. However, as said, if you find you are not allocated seats side by side by the computer, trying to negotiate a different outcome once you are onboard is likely to not go down well with other passengers and possibly the crew.

I have yet to read, though, that Norwegian is one of those airlines with a seat allocation algorithm that intentionally splits up passengers on the same booking, if they have not paid to select seats.

SWT

Reply to: Seat Reservation Norwegian Air
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted