We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London- Bangkok first time airline help

London, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
London- Bangkok first time airline help

Hi everyone, Me and my partner are looking to visit Thailand next year and was wondering what airline is best to travel with, We have heard good things about EVA air and also Thai but now are debating doing a stop over, Do the cons outweigh the pros on a a stop over or is just best to take the plunge and be sat down for 12hrs straight. I know BA do flights to Bangkok but from past experience they have gone down hill in my eyes. Hope this makes sense.

18 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London- Bangkok first time airline help

It's probably personal preference, but for me, as straight through as possible, everytime I've done long haul I always do it in one hit.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,517 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London- Bangkok first time airline help

There's no best or correct answer to whether you should add a stopover.

I've been travelling all my life and do not consider the 12 hour non stop flight between LON and BKK that arduous. Those flights are often night flights so you can sleep, if you can sleep on planes, so it may not feel as long.

Also, it rather depends how long you plan to spend in Thailand and what your plans are whether it's worth breaking up the journey or not, as that will eat into your time available to enjoy Thailand, a country with a lot of see and do.

As to airlines. If you plan to fly in economy, the differences of one airline to the next are not that huge. You'd be better picking the carrier on who offers the best price (with any extras costed in) or who flies at a time that suits you best. And, when you look at the deals, you may find upgrading to a comfier cabin can be small, and that might be better value than adding a stop over.

Plus, where will you stop over and for how long. Most flights that stop somewhere 'in the middle' means a stop in the Middle East, and those stops are often in the middle of the night.

Other contributors will have a different take, and you need to decide what you want and what works best for you in terms of time available, budget, dates of travel, etc, etc.

SWT

Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
5,991 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London- Bangkok first time airline help

I always set out with the intention of “travelling easy” and missing out on flights more than 6-7 hours by using stopovers. Then I think of the hassle to go in and out of the midway stop Airport, and how long do I get to sleep, and how many days do I have for the whole trip get eaten up in transit - and then book the direct flight....

As regards Airlines, well Economy is basically a small seat in a big tube, i’d look at cost and timings (I prefer to arrive in the local evening rather than the morning) rather than reputation

London, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London- Bangkok first time airline help

Thats all very true, We have 3 weeks in Thailand so I guess time is not really a factor, Its just the thought of the long haul flight that gets me but you are certainly right if flying economy it must be pretty much all the same, I would consider going PE for the right price I do believe only BA and EVA offer this tho. Only option I had in mind was a 4hr stop over in Dubai with Emirates but like you said im sure that was at around 3am.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: London- Bangkok first time airline help

That all makes perfect sense and the "be sat down" suggests you're looking at economy.

I think most would want to fly straight through, any stop of benefit would almost certainly have to be in the ME for a 7hr/6hr split. I would put BA well last on that list of options, Thai have an A350 (whisperliner) and an A380 on that route, so I'd opt for one of them. EVA get a great name and would probably be above Thai for most folks have a 777 with 9 across in economy (unlike many with 10 across)

However, if you can stretch to a stopover for comfort, how about EVA's premium cabin with 38" x 19.5" seating in the elite cabin is, on certain dates, only a little more than BA economy and almost certainly more cost effective than hotels at a stopover - which would have to be both ways ;-)

One of EVA's cabin layouts - https:/…Eva_Airways_Boeing_777-300ER_v3.php

Lastly, Turkish are offering business class from £1400, some with a stopover one way but pretty date restricted. That, whilst really pushing the boat out, might still actually be cheaper than 4 nights hotel in the Middle East ;-) :D :D :D

Good luck deciding - I'd pick EVA Elite before a stop, and Thai A380 if going in economy - FWIW

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London- Bangkok first time airline help

If you have a destination midway that you want to visit for a few days (ie Dubai is perfect if you fly Emirates) then it’s a great idea. This does reduce the amount of time you have at your real destination so it should be somewhere you actually want to see to make it worthwhile.

But if you are considering this because you think you need a break on a 12hour flight then you should realise that 12hours is not really that long. To me the concept of a stopover on a long haul flight is more about stopping over in Bangkok on your way from London to Australia or NZ so you can avoid traveling for over 24 hours straight.

UK
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London- Bangkok first time airline help

In my experience, a 12hr flight isn't really much of any issue, when you start getting to 16hrs it becomes more arduous, but even when I fly to Australia I do it in one hit.

As said above, the airline and the type of seat you choose plays a big part in it, premium economy can make it much more pleasurable.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: London- Bangkok first time airline help

Sheesht - I need night school - there were no answers at all when I started typing that (just in case I've repeated others)

:-((((((((((

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London- Bangkok first time airline help

I just read your reply in #4.

Stopping for 4 hours in Dubai just means you are travelling for 16 hours instead of 12!

If you want to stopover you need to stay for at least one night (preferably 2 or 3 so you can enjoy the break) in a hotel so you can have a shower, sleep in a real bed and eat food that wasn’t reheated in a plane.

Unless you are planning to do that then do not add 4 more hours to your journey.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,517 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London- Bangkok first time airline help

HarleyB's post 9 expanded on what I meant by a stopover. Make it worthwhile or don't bother is my own view. The only times I've added stopovers is when flying from UK to New Zealand and back, and they were added after a 12/13 hour flight leg.

Even flying to Australia, we've shunned the stopover in preference to getting to our destination, but the flight has always had a 2 to 3 hour stop somewhere.

Oh, and another point about the stop over issue. For ME destinations, when your flight lands in the wee hours of the morning, you then need to head into that chosen stop over city and twiddle your thumbs for a while before much opens up. Unless you've paid (which then adds more cost) for the night before, you cannot check into your hotel for hours, so no chance of a quick rest before heading out. This can upset the body clock with a short, disrupted night followed by a long day awake, so when you do reach Thailand after even a 2 night break, you might have worse jet lag than had you done the 12 hour non stop flight and got lots of rest, if not sleep, and dealt with jet lag just the once.

SWT

Reply to: London- Bangkok first time airline help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted