We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I wait or check in online ASAP

Michigan
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Should I wait or check in online ASAP

If i want to get bumped off of flight due to overbooking and get some $$ - i'm not in a hurry to get there - Should I wait?

8 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16,096 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Should I wait or check in online ASAP

You should wait to check in as long as possible.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
131 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Should I wait or check in online ASAP

If you do wait to check in, make sure that you meet their minimum requirement. If you check in too late, then they can say you're a no show and deny compensation.

I wouldn't bother with that game. If they are overbooked and ask for volunteers, then be the first up there and be nice. Bonus if you have no checked baggage.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,739 posts
118 reviews
3. Re: Should I wait or check in online ASAP

No, check in like normal. Then when you get to the gate go to the gate agent and offer to be bumped if they need volunteers. Not checking in can get you bumped involuntarily but they always ask for volunteers first. Involuntary bumping is pretty rare.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,236 posts
80 reviews
4. Re: Should I wait or check in online ASAP

I believe you can maximise the bucks if you actually get on the plane and take your seat. Then refuse to give up your seat and get dragged off bleeding by burly security guards whilst others film you on their smartphones.

:-)))

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: Should I wait or check in online ASAP

When you check in online some airlines are actually asking if you would be willing to take a later flight (for $xx) if it is oversold

Michigan
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
6. Re: Should I wait or check in online ASAP

thank you everyone for your advise. this is very cool to get your opinion - I will check in and wait at gate and hope - maybe i get lucky and get an extra $$ so i can travel in Christmas :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,739 posts
118 reviews
7. Re: Should I wait or check in online ASAP

I wish luck with this but don't expect a cash offer. Usually they give you a free flight plus credits towards a future ticket. You can negotiate and ask for cash but I think they'd only agree if they were having trouble finding volunteers.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,930 posts
476 reviews
8. Re: Should I wait or check in online ASAP

The offers can be pretty poor, at least to start off with. They do get better if there are no volunteers from what I've heard. It's a bit of a game of you ask me. If you want to wait to see how things go, that's fair enough, but there is a risk that others may jump in and then there's no need for further volunteers, so you get nothing.

Personally, I wouldn't plan anything or expect anything. I'd just wait and see what happens.

Reply to: Should I wait or check in online ASAP
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted