We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

50 mins connecting flight

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
50 mins connecting flight

Hi,

I've booked a flight from Manchester (MAN) to split (SPU)on Lufthansa this morning for January. The flight goes through Dusseldorf and doesn't take too long, only after booking did I see the layover is a mere 50 mins.

I'm very tense about this- I've never had a layover less than 90 mins, can anyone offer any advice on the fastst way between gates or reassurance that 50 isn't as awful as it sounds!?

Thanks,

Mark

16 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 50 mins connecting flight

All on one ticket? same airline?, or separate tickets / airlines?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,050 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 50 mins connecting flight

I take the view that the airline would not sell you this if it was not achievable. Also should you miss the conbection due to any delay, the airline is obliged to get you to your destination. Usually that just means rebooking on the next flight.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,545 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 50 mins connecting flight

Usually that just means rebooking on the next flight. - It will of course be the next flight with available seats.

I personally wouldn't book a 50 minute connection as it's too stressful for my liking but having booked you can only hope for the best.

UK
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 50 mins connecting flight

I've done 45 min connections before, but these were on booked through tickets with the same airline member, so booked through luggage etc.

It's very doable, but I certainly wouldn't want to do it on two tickets / different airlines.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,788 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 50 mins connecting flight

Whilst you may make the flight your luggage may not.

What time of year? Winter could bring delays and you’d miss your flight. Summer ATC delays and strikes.

Much depends on your attitude to risk, if it’s already booked just keep your fingers crossed.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,301 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 50 mins connecting flight

"can anyone offer any advice on the fastst way between gates"

A straight line. Seriously though, there isn't much advice anyone can give. For one thing, nobody will know which gate you arrive at and depart from. Just follow the signs and move quickly. I've done plenty of short connections over the years have only missed connections when my first flight was delayed. The airline will take care of you if your flights are on the same ticket.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 50 mins connecting flight

thank you for all the excellent replies, both flights are with Lufthansa(Lufthansa and then eurowings) and were presented to me as one of the options for my connection to SPU.

It's this coming January so hopefully the weather will behave.

Is Dusseldorf a small airport? I still have nightmares about Frankfurt.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,301 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 50 mins connecting flight

It's certainly much smaller than Frankfurt.

UK
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 50 mins connecting flight

If the airline sold you the tickets, they must think it's an appropriate connection, I assume your baggage is checked through to destination?, just fingers crossed the arriving flight is on time!

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
8,459 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 50 mins connecting flight

Don't worry too much. I, including my suitcase, just (once again) did a 50 minute transfer at Munich with time to spare and Duesseldorf is a much smaller airport.

Reply to: 50 mins connecting flight
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted