We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coffee maker on flight

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
Coffee maker on flight

I know it sounds crazy, but can I bring a small coffee maker on flight to make my own coffee (assuming there are power outlets on board)? I'm a stickler for my brand. Any regulations against that?

41 replies to this topic
Hampshire England
Level Contributor
5,978 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coffee maker on flight

Ha ha ha ha

I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to your Q with any certainty, but I'm laughing to think that you've arrived at the conclusion that the only solution to your problem is to bring your own coffee machine :-)

The power outlets on the plane answer will require you to state what flight/airline/destination you are taking. Short hop planes often don't have power outlets.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coffee maker on flight

Seriously doubt they'll let you make your own coffee on board... if smokers can survive sure you can too.

People do take coffee presses and maybe some espresso on holidays. Plug-in coffee maker? Well probably in your luggage the same as that person that flew with a wok recently. Places tend to have these things and yours are best left at home. Part of the joy of travel is trying new stuff.

Edited: 20 November 2017, 11:15
New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,424 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coffee maker on flight

If you are fussy about a particular brand of coffee, how about bringing along a drip filter and your coffee, and asking the cabin crew at a non-busy time for a cup and some hot water?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,779 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coffee maker on flight

Yes, it absolutely sounds crazy. No, you can't.

Edited: 20 November 2017, 11:31
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,843 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coffee maker on flight

A plastic French press (unbreakable) would work. Then you just ask for hot water.

Or take enough of your coffee for everyone on the flight and ask the flight attendants to serve that instead of the normal slop. :-)

Edited: 20 November 2017, 11:51
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,914 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coffee maker on flight

Or take enough of your coffee for everyone on the flight and ask the flight attendants to serve that instead of the normal slop. :-)

And the airline liability lawyers will have a collective heart attack.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,435 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coffee maker on flight

NO as it would be a fire hazard and NO because of the smell. Personally I love the smell of brewing coffee but not every one does.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coffee maker on flight

After I stopped laughing, I realized that your post is a joke, yes?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
43,668 posts
1,303 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coffee maker on flight

To combat potential issues with electrical incompatibilities, or such, wife takes little packets of a decaf coffee concentrate, and gets a cup of hot water.

I do not see one being able to use a coffeemaker aboard a flight, but then there WAS the wok...

Hunt

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
43,668 posts
1,303 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coffee maker on flight

Are you thinking something like this?

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/rocket-esp…

Cheers,

Hunt

Reply to: Coffee maker on flight
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted