We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memphis to New York flights

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
923 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Memphis to New York flights

For those who are familiar with this route, which airlines generally fly with larger planes? I have noticed that there are lots of regional airlines on this route and I am find that I am more likely to feel sick on the smaller planes they seem to use. Any thoughts?

9 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,541 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memphis to New York flights

As far as I'm aware most of the non stop flights operated by the likes of AA, UA and Delta on this route will be on the smaller commuter type planes.

You could try Southwest who operate a fleet of 737s but they do not offer non stop flights on this route so you'll need to make a connection somewhere.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
43,835 posts
1,307 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Memphis to New York flights

What TomC said.

We fly out of TYS often, and it is a market, similar to that out of MEM - mostly regional jets.

However, there can be an exception, or two. Just flew UA (our prime carrier), and were pleasantly surprised that we had an A-320 in recent TYS-EWR flight - so surprised, that I had not even checked the equipment (a “hobby” of mine), when I booked, and just assumed that it would be on an EMB-145. Now, that was the first UA flight, in years, that was only about 3/4 full - a rarity nowadays.

Other than researching the airlines from MEM to NYC, and looking at the scheduled equipment on the routes/schedules, I know of no simple answer.

Looking at carriers, like WN/SWA, with a fixed fleet, equipment can differ, based on projected loads, and for MEM, those will more likely be regional jets.

Best of luck,

Hunt

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,961 posts
915 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Memphis to New York flights

American and Delta go to Laguardia

United goes to Newark

4. Re: Memphis to New York flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 November 2017, 14:41

5. Re: Memphis to New York flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 November 2017, 05:46

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
923 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Memphis to New York flights

Thanks. I've looked up United and there are some flights where the second leg is in a bigger plane but the first legs are all E175s or similar. I might as well just get the direct flights if that is the case. Any tips for minimising motion sickness on these planes?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
923 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Memphis to New York flights

Any thoughts?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
455 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Memphis to New York flights

I had suggested over the counter motion sickness meds to a friend of mine. She took Bonine (meclizine) and she says she no longer dreads airplane sickness. But you have to take it before the sickness sets in or it's too late.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
923 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Memphis to New York flights

Thanks. Is there a particular part of the plane that's better to sit in? I have tried the over the counter travel sickness tablets once and I felt like I could barely stand due to extreme drowsiness (took it before a short cruise). I will see if I can get something better from my doctor

Reply to: Memphis to New York flights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted