We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Traveler In Need of Advice/experiences

10 posts
Save Topic
New Traveler In Need of Advice/experiences

I'm a new traveler, traveling from either ORF (Norfolk, VA), Dulles (D.C.), or BWI (Baltimore, MD) to London (hopefully STN).

I'm having the hardest time finding and deciding on an airline/the best airline. Any advice would truly be appreciated!

17 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,848 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Traveler In Need of Advice/experiences

Forget Stansted (STN) as you won't get direct flights there from the US. Also probably discount Norfolk. BWI or Dulles IAD are your best bets to either London Heathrow (LHR) or Gatwick (LGW).

>>I'm having the hardest time finding and deciding on an airline/the best airline. Any advice would truly be appreciated!<<

What criteria do you want for the "best airline"? low cost, best service, wil you fly coach or business? When are you planing this trip?

British Airways fly direct from BWI and also from IAD. United and Virgin Atlantic also from IAD.

Are you prepared to fly from PHL or Newark?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Traveler In Need of Advice/experiences

As a practical matter, if you live in Virginia ( I am guessing because you mention Norfolk) your closest transAtlantic flight will be from IAD or BWi. Would you be driving to one of them? That is a trip in itself...or would you take a connecting flight from Norfolk if you are near there?

Edited: 18 November 2017, 12:57
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,878 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Traveler In Need of Advice/experiences

Why are you looking to fly from the States to STN? As above you're not going to find a flight to that airport, and if you're thinking of doing so with the intention to fly on from STN then you may wish to reconsider.

Where is your destination in the UK, or if not there then where is your final destination? There are coaches from London Heathrow to Essex and STN or you could take the Underground from Heathrow to Tottenham Hale (with a very easy cross platform change at Finsbury Park) then a National Rail train to STN.

When do you plan to travel, and how long will you stay? In terms of the 'best' airline, those who like VS (Virgin Atlantic) will say it's worth booking; those who like AA and BA will say the same.

Let us know much more, please.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,609 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Traveler In Need of Advice/experiences

"Why are you looking to fly from the States to STN?"

=========

Possibly because WOW Air has announced KEF-STN and is heavily promoting one stop fares from the US via KEF.

You need to be very careful with these "long haul low cost carriers". The base fare looks fantastic but the airlines then fleece you with massive charges for checked bags, carry ons (in the case of WOW) and on board meals. Very often you end up paying more than had you booked a nonstop to Heathrow on BA, Virgin, United, Delta or American.

The other possibility is that Another O is seeing cheap itineraries to STN on Kiwi.com. If that's the case then STOP immediately. Kiwi cobbles together connections on separate tickets meaning you have no protection from the airlines if you miss a connection, and the so called protection from Kiwi is not worth the kilobytes on storage on their website. kiwi should not be touched with a bargepole.

So, let's start again from the basics. Where do you want to to travel to? And unless you have relatives living in Mountfitchet or Bishop's Stortford you do *not* want to travel to STN.

Edited: 18 November 2017, 13:41
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Traveler In Need of Advice/experiences

Let us help you but we need to know

(1) Where you are located--that is, how would you get to the departure airport. That matters because driving to BWI or IAD and parking may be more or less stressful and costly than flying there. But the layover matters if you fly.

(2) Where you want to GO. London?

Thanks.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,069 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Traveler In Need of Advice/experiences

Stansted is quite a way from London in comparison with Heathrow and Gatwick. It would be a good choice if you are ultimnately heading to somewhere in the vicinity of the airport, but maybe not so good if you want Central, South or West London.

10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New Traveler In Need of Advice/experiences

I'm willing to drive to either, it's not that much on gas for me and would save me hundreds of dollars usually :)

10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New Traveler In Need of Advice/experiences

Thank you :)

So I can get someone to drive me to any of those three, I'm not really worried about that I just chose which one is cheaper. And I'm meeting someone who said STN is easier for them to get to.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,824 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Traveler In Need of Advice/experiences

Still not enough info. Few if any long haul flights will go to STN which tends to serve mainly short haul/LCC routes. The only options seem to involve flights via another hub such as DUB from New York(on an unprotected connection).Your choices are likely to be Heathrow or Gatwick, even City (LCY) has more limited long haul options mainly serving the business market in Docklands/the City. Your choices from the airports you've mentioned are even more limited.

Meet your friend somewhere else esp if you intend spending some time in central London. Transport into London from any of the airports including STN is pretty easy. Unless you're going to spend time in Essex, there is little point meeting up there.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Traveler In Need of Advice/experiences

Flights to Stanstead from IAD or BWI appear to have connections and cost more than nonstops to Heathrow, based on a quick look via Google flight search.

Reply to: New Traveler In Need of Advice/experiences
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted