We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuwait Air bans Israeli passenger

W Yorkshire
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
Kuwait Air bans Israeli passenger

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42017874

Whether Kuwait recognises Israel or not is a moot point IMHO.

However, if Kuwait Air wishes to fly internationally then the airline should be expected to abide by internationally recognised standards.

The UN recognises Israel as a state, that's good enough for me.

Airlines would not be allowed to fly overseas if they failed to adhere to safety standards would they ?

I can see why the court could not act, however the airports and national governments can, and should.

I get the feeling that if PAX plummet this absurd and rather pathetic rule would sink into historical oblivion where it belongs.

Shame on Kuwait Air quite frankly.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,878 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kuwait Air bans Israeli passenger

"Shame on Kuwait Air quite frankly."

=========

There is nothing Kuwait Airways can do about it. They are abiding by Kuwaiti law which bans transporting of Israeli citizens to Kuwait.

Now, KU was forced to abandon its fifth freedom flight between JFK and LHR after the US DOT ruled their ban on Israeli citizens not flying to Kuwait (only flying between the US and United Kingdom) was discriminatory. And they have abandoned other infra-Europe fifth freedoms for the same reason.

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/4609…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,524 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kuwait Air bans Israeli passenger

Well thy chose to abandon the route...not sure I agree it was forced.

In any case, I have no interest in flying with them, ever.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,878 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kuwait Air bans Israeli passenger

Here is another article from The Times Of Israel that puts the actual event into perspective. Emphasis is mine.

"An Israeli citizen, who was identified in court papers as Adar M., a student living in Germany, sued Kuwait Airways after it canceled his booking for a flight from Frankfurt to Bangkok that included a stop-over in Kuwait City.

The cancellation came a few days before M.’s scheduled departure in August 2016 when he revealed he had an Israeli passport. ***The airline offered to book him on a nonstop flight to Bangkok with another carrier.***

The man refused the offer ..."

https:/…

So it's not as though KU just told him to go pound sand.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,878 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kuwait Air bans Israeli passenger

"Well thy chose to abandon the route...not sure I agree it was forced."

========

Presumably you mean the JFK-LHR 5th freedom. Well the US DOT ruled that banning Israelis (or anyone) on flights to a country they are perfectly eligible to enter is illegal. So if it happened again KU would likely have been banned from flying to the US. So they abandoned the 5th freedom. I'd say that was forced based on their being in violation of Kuwaiti or US law one way or the other (KU does still fly JFK-KWI non stop).

So the ban *has* affected KU's network and business.

Edited: 17 November 2017, 15:25
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,878 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kuwait Air bans Israeli passenger

And btw KU isn't the only airline that has this rule. Saudia has the same rule due to Saudi Arabian law. There may be others.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,535 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kuwait Air bans Israeli passenger

OTOH there are a number of Arab country airlines - countries that do not recognize Israel but have no trouble selling tickets and allowing Israeli citizens to fly with them and to transit through their countries.

It is not as if the passenger in question was trying to go to Kuwait, just fly through Kuwait.

There is something very wrong about the airline decision.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,878 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kuwait Air bans Israeli passenger

"There is something very wrong about the airline decision."

========

No, the airline has to abide by the law of Kuwait, its home country. Had they carried the passenger the airline **and the employees concerned** would have been subject to prosecution.

Other Arab countries (not all, I've already highlighted Saudi Arabia) don't have such stringent laws on carrying Israeli passengers, even if Israeli citizens can't enter their country.

It's the Kuwait law (or government that passed the law) that's to blame, not the airline.

My sister-in-law and youngest nephew both hold Israeli citizenship (nephew is dual with UK) and I personally abhor these laws. But there's nothing that the airline can do.

Edited: 17 November 2017, 17:23
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,841 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kuwait Air bans Israeli passenger

These suits are usually nuisance suits to force out a business they don't agree with. Take the one that attempted to fly from JFK-LHR on Kuwait air, knowing that she would be denied service, then suing. Of all the options to go from New York to London, why in the world would an Israeli choose Kuwait Air? This situation is the same. There are seemingly endless options to go to BKK from FRA. Why go on Kuwait Air knowing there will be a problem so he can be the victim? Just go on another carrier. Kuwait Air has to follow Kuwait law. If it means it cannot transport connecting passengers through KWI, (honestly, who the hell transfers through Kuwait?) so be it.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,878 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kuwait Air bans Israeli passenger

^^^^^ re #8.

I partially agree with that.

Where I disagree is that in both cases JFK-LHR and FRA-KWI-BKK could well have been booked simply because they were cheaper. Indeed the person that filed suit in Germany was a student. So it's quite logical for many to choose the cheapest flight.

In the JFK-LHR case the DOT (rightly IMO) made their judgement based on entry or transit clearance. The pax had entry clearance to the destination country (United Kingdom) so was discriminated against for being denied boarding.

In the Germany case, the pax had neither entry nor transit clearance at KWI. Even under the US ruling the airline would have been right.

But, in the Germany (FRA-KWI-BKK) case, once the passport was known KU did not just deny boarding. They offered him a rebooking on a non-stop FRA-BKK flight (that would have been on Lufthansa or Thai Airways) at no extra charge, aka a better and much more convenient flight. That's where I agree with you. If offered a much better flight (both directions) why refuse and sue, especially a student?

Edited: 17 November 2017, 18:45
W Yorkshire
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kuwait Air bans Israeli passenger

There is something we can all do about it.

Boycott those companies that enforce such rules, encourage ones employers to boycott these airlines.

Rules based on hatred and discrimination are unjust, immoral and belong back in the dark ages.

I was not aware about such rules, of course I knew certain countries in the Middle East do not get along. However, I would have hoped the international nature of air travel would have left such pettiness at the airport kerbside.