We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

: Ryanair Flight Delay of 8 hours.

Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
: Ryanair Flight Delay of 8 hours.

My flight 8:20am flight (FR6593) is delayed until until 4pm. The delay is because the incoming flight could not land due to dog here in Mykonos. By 930am the fog had cleared but we were told the flight won't depart till 4pm. As the initial delay is due to weather but now the weather is all clear, I want to know what type of compensation I am entitled to. I already got a food and drink voucher. Thanks to anyone who replies!

17 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
3,887 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: : Ryanair Flight Delay of 8 hours.

Just duty of care which you have received.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
21,370 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: : Ryanair Flight Delay of 8 hours.

The fact that the fog has now cleared does not mean the flight can depart immediately - they also need a new departure slot and ATC clearance.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,506 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: : Ryanair Flight Delay of 8 hours.

As the initial delay is due to weather but now the weather is all clear, I want to know what type of compensation I am entitled to. I already got a food and drink voucher.

========

Maybe another drink or food voucher if the delay is longer? That's it. Weather and Air Traffic Control (ATC) delays are not eligible for EU261 flight delay compo.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
22,511 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: : Ryanair Flight Delay of 8 hours.

Just be thankful it isn't cancelled! You'd be having a hell of a job trying to find alternative flights to get you off Mykonos.

The fog may have cleared, but it may not have been possible to dispatch the plane from its airport of origin until there was confirmation that it could indeed land at Mykonos. The delay may also have put the crew "out of hours" meaning that a different crew would need to be deployed. Possibly even a different plane. These issues are still related to the original weather delay and are not attributable to the airline.

Edited: 23 October 2017, 21:06
South of England
Level Contributor
2,624 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: : Ryanair Flight Delay of 8 hours.

Looks like the flight left ATH as planned, circled Mykonos four times, then flew back to ATH. Presumably the weather/fog did not clear whilst the aircraft was in a hold.

I suspect they will need to find a new crew for the new later service.

A weather delay so duty of care in the form of food/drink (which you seem to have been given) - but no financial compensation is due.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,364 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: : Ryanair Flight Delay of 8 hours.

"As the initial delay is due to weather but now the weather is all clear, I want to know what type of compensation I am entitled to."

Depends on the reason or reasons why the flight is delayed a further 6+ hours after weather has improved. Keep in mind that knock-on effects of extraordinary circumstances are not themselves automatically extraordinary.

W Yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,917 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: : Ryanair Flight Delay of 8 hours.

If the aircraft is at the airport then 8 hrs does seem excessive.

If the flight still hasn’t arrived then it may be understandable.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
24,556 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: : Ryanair Flight Delay of 8 hours.

not necessarily. as the aircraft had to return to athens, the schedule would now be all out of kilter. atc now have the task of routing all delayed incoming flights and then accommodating all the new outgoings. there is no mention that the aircraft is actually in the airport

but i am a bit surprised (well real not!) that a person waiting for his flight to turn up, is already looking for compo. you are being watered and fed, so unless there is a new reason for delay, you are getting all that you are entitled to.

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: : Ryanair Flight Delay of 8 hours.

8 hours delay because of dog? Did he fall asleep on the runway? :)

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
3,596 posts
667 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: : Ryanair Flight Delay of 8 hours.

Sorry you had such a long delay but just because the fog lifted a hour plus after flight was scheduled does not mean only an hour plus delay. While eight hours is a long delay the incoming flight has to get a landing slot.

Reply to: : Ryanair Flight Delay of 8 hours.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted