We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time between flights

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,490 posts
6 reviews
Time between flights

We are flying from SFO to Rome on Delta with a layover in Atlanta.

Arr. Atlanta at 3:33 pm. Terminal S-Terminal South.

Depart 6:00 pm. Terminal I-Maynard H. Jackson Jr. International Terminal

Is this enough time? Will we have to go through security again? We are traveling with a portable oxygen concentrator, which may need extra time in security.

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
164 reviews
1. Re: Time between flights

All one ticket? If so, just fine, and no need to clear security in ATL.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,676 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Time between flights

You should be OK with 2.5 hours. No need to clear security again - just take the (free) Plane Train from your arrival gate to your departure gate. I probably would have wanted closer to 3 hours leading into a long haul flight, but I think the time should be more than adequate if there are no delays with your flight from SFO (and even with a short delay you should be OK).

There are a couple of Top Questions in the Atlanta forum with some additional info:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60898…

If you are connecting through ATL on your return flight, then this might be useful:

-JimG

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52,800 posts
1,772 reviews
3. Re: Time between flights

One one ticket, I too would want a full 3 hrs, but I am risk averse, when traveling.

One question, please. Are there any mobility issues, as you mention an oxygen concentrator?

Though ATL is an efficient airport, in my experiences, it is a large airport. If there are mobility issues, I would contact the carrier (Delta?), and inquire what services might be available.

Also, JimG probably knows if DL offers such, and also contact info. Though such services are usually physically provided by airport contract workers, they are usually coordinated by the airlines.

Just a thought.

Good luck, and fly safely,

Hunt

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,676 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Time between flights

Can't speak for all airlines at ATL, but Delta definitely offers special services for passengers with mobility issues. We have used them before when traveling with relatives and been very happy with how they handled things.

-JImG

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,490 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Time between flights

Thank you Hunt and Jim. Yes, we will be using wheelchair services. DH gets too tired to walk in modern airports with the humongous distances to travel between gates (for that matter so do I, but...)

We are taking a Silversea Cruise from Rome to Dubai, and our cruise representative will help us make arrangements with the airlines.

On our last trip, when we used this in San Francisco, the wheelchair pusher took us on a route through hidden corridors and into elevators I never would have found and whisked us through security in a flash. I hope we have the same luck this time.

So glad I thought to post on this forum. You-all have been a tremendous help and a reducer of my anxiety :~)

Edited: 18 October 2017, 16:09
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52,800 posts
1,772 reviews
6. Re: Time between flights

Puter,

Sounds like you have solved all issues.

Best of luck, and travel safely,

Hunt

Edited: 19 October 2017, 01:26
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
1,074 reviews
7. Re: Time between flights

should be enough time yes

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,676 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Time between flights

"wheelchair pusher took us on a route through hidden corridors"

We have had the same experience (for example at LAX). These were all publicly accessible areas of the airport (that were located airside), just not areas that are commonly used by most passengers.

-JimG

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,731 posts
149 reviews
9. Re: Time between flights

you should be fine Puter. As has been said you will be airside and with wheelchair assistance, you can just blindly follow the person pushing the wheelchair. And since this is an early AM SFO flight, chances are that it will be on time

Have a wonderful flight and a great time abroad Enjoy the pastas and pizzas in Rome and the delicious mezzes and meats in Dubai

Dubai_Phil who is a regular on this forum will have great suggestions on what to do in Dubai as well

10. Re: Time between flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: yesterday, 16:17