We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hand luggage and carry on? SINGAPORE AIRLINES rules

Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hand luggage and carry on? SINGAPORE AIRLINES rules

Hi! I'm going on a round trip to Japan from the USA using the airports LAX->Narita Airport flying on Singapore airlines.

I was really confused about Singapore Airlines because they said they allowed up to 7Kg~15.6 lbs and bags dimension must add up to 115cm~45in. My carry on bag fits under those dimensions but the thing thats killing me is the weight.. My bag alone is 12.6 lb~5.71 kg. That already eats up the majority of the weight limit. Would singapore be lenient with these restrictions from the lax or narita airport side or would it be a better option to check them in (obviously checked bags would be less hassle but I'm more of a travel quick type of person.)? I'm worried that the checked bags would be expensive.. Ironic for spending so much on tickets but I'm a starving student :)

I was planning on taking a backpack along with my carry on but is that allowed? My backpack fits under their additional items dimensions but would that be weighed in also? There isn't a limit on that.

If possible, would my plan to take one backpack and one carry on suitcase work out? What would you reccomend?

Honestly, this whole situation is really hard for me to wrap my mind around. I don't know if it's the current condition but I need help understand the policies and what i can bring and what i cant.

It's my first time traveling international and I'm concerned I might not be prepared enough. Thank you

24 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,921 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hand luggage and carry on? SINGAPORE AIRLINES rules

Best to get a new bag. Most new bags these days are a lot lighter than that. No one can say if the airline will be lenient on the day, best to stick to the limit.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
37,423 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hand luggage and carry on? SINGAPORE AIRLINES rules

Why would they be lenient just because you've got a tiny bag that weights a ridiculous amount? Their cabin luggage policies are clear on their website. I doubt a backpack would fit under their additional items, unless it's a very small one.

https:/…

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
61,212 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hand luggage and carry on? SINGAPORE AIRLINES rules

I agree that you should get a new, lighter bag. I would always recommend sticking within the rules. It eliminates any worry at all that you'll encounter difficulties, so that you can relax and enjoy the travelling as much as possible.

Edited: 17 October 2017, 18:04
Buxton, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hand luggage and carry on? SINGAPORE AIRLINES rules

"would it be a better option to check them in (obviously checked bags would be less hassle but I'm more of a travel quick type of person.)? I'm worried that the checked bags would be expensive."

Yes, it would be better to go with checked luggage

(a) The chances are that by the time you clear immigration in Japan, your bags will be waiting for you so time should not be an issue

(b) I would be extremely surprised if you did not have a free checked in limit with Singapore Airlines - if you are flying with them to the US from Europe you have a 2 bag limit of 23kg, even in economy.

(c) be nice to yourself and your fellow passengers by travelling light with your hand baggage, making boarding/stowing of luggage much easier!

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
11,111 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hand luggage and carry on? SINGAPORE AIRLINES rules

Check your bag in. You get a free checked bag allowance so use it. I’ve had a carry on weighed by Singapore Airlines and had to keep removing items until it got down to 7kg. Also consider getting a new lighter carry on bag.

Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
7,276 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hand luggage and carry on? SINGAPORE AIRLINES rules

I have to say that I thought Singapore Airlines luggage policies are particularly clear. Carry on is one piece, Up to 7kg each, Sum of length, width and height of each piece should not exceed 115cm. That’s it, nothing else.

If in business or first you get two pieces of cabin Luggage ..... but AFAIK checked luggage up to 23kg is included in the ticket, so you get that for nothing, free..... so check the first bag and carry the backpack, might cost you a few minutes waiting on arrival at baggage reclaim.

For any other readers it is worth restating the general advice here, assume Airlines will check the size and weight of your luggage, if they don’t plan to check why would they state a policy? (Ok often they don’t but all we can say here is, ‘assume they will check’)

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
37,423 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hand luggage and carry on? SINGAPORE AIRLINES rules

<<Carry on is one piece, Up to 7kg each, Sum of length, width and height of each piece should not exceed 115cm. That’s it, nothing else.>>

They also allow a personal item eg handbag, document bag, laptop, duty free etc.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,611 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hand luggage and carry on? SINGAPORE AIRLINES rules

<< Honestly, this whole situation is really hard for me to wrap my mind around. I don't know if it's the current condition but I need help understand the policies and what i can bring and what i cant. >>

You actually wrote down all the restrictions ... weight and size ... which bit is confusing you?

For your information it is very common is Asia for carry-on to be weighed at the gate.

And is your bag when empty 5kgs? You need a different bag.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,551 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hand luggage and carry on? SINGAPORE AIRLINES rules

What kind of bag do you have that weighs 5.6kg alone? Even a full size, check-in suitcase doesn't weigh that much when it's empty.

FWIW, I flew 4 flights on SQ recently. The carry-on was never weighed. On the other hand, we only had one backpack that was obviously not full, and one camera bag between the two of us. SQ normally has a generous amount of checked baggage so you should check-in your bags if possible. Remember enforcement is down to the ground personnel at the gate for your particular flight. If they deem your bag overweight or oversized, they have every right to ask you to check-in your bag according to airline policy.

Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hand luggage and carry on? SINGAPORE AIRLINES rules

It's late here.. I can't even process half the things I read so show me some mercy haha

A lot of you guys seem very annoyed and I'm sorry cause I just needed extra clarification- which I did receive and was told of the free checked.

As I have said, this is my first time going international, I only went on trips in the US, and ALWAYS had carry on, never checked, therefore, I do not know some of these things. I always took a carry on and the backpack I always had with me so the policies were completly different. So that's why the 7kg baffled me because I always took carry on on a US flight

My initial fear of checked luggage was that my family went to hawaii and we were waiting for our checked bags which never came and turns out some other family just grabbed ours and left without even checking the tags... Ridiculous especially when we had our tags on there too. They realized it wasn't their bag and they brought it back and the whole ordeal lasted for over 3 hours waiting for them to come back. We went to security and all that fun jazz. We got our stuff back and turns out, they went through our stuff for some reason and left the inside all messed up and dirty although nothing was taken.. But by then we were over it so we just went with it.. So since then it's not the fear of the airline losing it, it's the fear that someone will be careless and I know that could happen anywhere, anytime. Hope you enjoyed the story

Hm, I'm probably lying about the carry on weight being 5kg honestly haha.. My scale at home is whack. Looking up one on amazon pronto.

Thanks for your kind support and understanding

Edited: 17 October 2017, 18:48
Reply to: Hand luggage and carry on? SINGAPORE AIRLINES rules
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted