We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta bait and switch, is it happening to others?

USA
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Delta bait and switch, is it happening to others?

I stopped using Travelocity because everytime I did I would get a flight selected and then it would instantly give me some oh the price changed and it would be 100 dollars more if I went on and booked it even though a new search would continue to list the same flights that at lower prices before again magically bumping up the price... Now I've seeing Delta's own online site doing me the same way. Are there any sites that will give me an honest upfront price without trying to screw me at the last minute with a higher price?

14 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,657 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delta bait and switch, is it happening to others?

The only time I have ever had that happen on the Delta website was when I as trying to book more seats than were left in that particular fare bucket. In that case it prices all the seats at the price for the next higher bucket. Are you maybe looking at the price for a single traveler but then trying to book for more than one person?

-JimG

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
3,496 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Delta bait and switch, is it happening to others?

Well, I've not heard of that complaint about Delta on here, ever. That's a curious one.

Can I ask the route please? The US airlines recently introduced a new basic economy fare on certain routes, not all, I'm wondering if the search returns the basic fare but then you are offered the standard fare.

It's hard to understand without having a look.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,963 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delta bait and switch, is it happening to others?

Usually when this happens, the last seat in the fare bucket in the lower price sold while you were looking. DL is not playing "bait and switch."

Head's up - if you use inappropriate language, people will report your post and it'll be removed.

Edited: 20 September 2017, 05:22
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,902 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delta bait and switch, is it happening to others?

What everyone says is true Delta is not bait and switching. I would say I do see this happen more often on Delta than AA or United though.

B.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
45,183 posts
1,414 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delta bait and switch, is it happening to others?

JimG (and others), have most likely defined the problem, you seem to be experiencing.

As for Websites, if the DL site is showing a live price, it is doubtful that any 3rd party site, without live prices, can save you $.

Good luck,

Hunt

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Delta bait and switch, is it happening to others?

I have seen it on third party websites and on airlines' own sites, though I think it was AA and not Delta in my case. I think it is the occasional computer glitch or fares not updated fast enough at sites. Just my deduction, and I don't think it's qualified as bait and switch.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,836 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delta bait and switch, is it happening to others?

300,000 people a day purchase tickets. There is bound to be a time or two in that bunch where fare buckets run out before somebody else can purchase.

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Delta bait and switch, is it happening to others?

geo

sometimes that happens (fare class just got bought out). But what OP and I experienced is the rejection of said fare, but yet when we came back to do the search again, the same lower fare was still offered, again and again..I think I tried 5 times and if still showed up. If fare was truly bought out, the next search would not list it again, right?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Delta bait and switch, is it happening to others?

I've never seen an airline directly do this. I wouldn't see the reason why. Like #1 I've only seen this happen as well when I've tried to book multiple seats in savers/low fare buckets.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Delta bait and switch, is it happening to others?

amatrip: this could possibly be the website itself not updating to reflect said prices as fast. Glitches can happen in the matrix and with thousands of people purchasing at the same time its bound to frizzle a little sometimes. I still doubt it's a bait and switch case, though. No point in a direct airline doing that.

Reply to: Delta bait and switch, is it happening to others?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted