We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help.. taking special presents in hand luggage

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Please help.. taking special presents in hand luggage

Hi

I'm not a frequent flier so am really unsure on how things work.

We're going to Orlando in a few weeks, it's my husbands 50th whilst we're there. I have bought him a really nice watch and some aftershave. I plan to take both in my bag as hand luggage without him knowing. My question is, will I have to put the watch ( Which will be in a gift box and possibly wrapped) on the belt, or can I just leave it in my bag?

The aftershave I assume I'll need to put in a clear bag, it's 100ml but will I need to put it in a different clearer bottle rather than what it comes in? I'm flying with BA..

Thanks in advance!!

25 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,404 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help.. taking special presents in hand luggage

You can leave the watch in the bag, and only take it out if you are asked to by security. As long as the aftershave is in a container of 100ml or less you can leave it in its original bottle, although as you've said you will need to have that in a separate clear plastic bag.

One way you can keep both gifts as a surprise is if you go through security separately by a couple of minutes, just agree to meet up somewhere after security check.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help.. taking special presents in hand luggage

You can leave the watch in your bag, but the aftershave will need to come out of your bag and be placed (in its original bottle is ok) in a plastic bag on the belt, as is the case for all liquids. There's nothing to say that security won't ask you to take the watch out for closer inspection but it's probably unlikely.

Edited: 19 September 2017, 07:52
3. Re: Please help.. taking special presents in hand luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 September 2017, 12:05

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,569 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help.. taking special presents in hand luggage

Don't forget it's ONE bag of liquids for EVERYTHING. The aftershave can not be in its own bag.

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help.. taking special presents in hand luggage

I would leave the watch unwrapped, and bring a gift bag and tissue paper with me to put it in later. Or, I suppose you could put it in the gift bag in your hand luggage, and it would be easy to remove if you are asked.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,201 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help.. taking special presents in hand luggage

I understand that birthdays are special.

IF it were my trip I'd leave the presents at home . I'd either give them 2 him before you leave or bring a card to give him on his b-day telling him there will be some surprises at home when you get back.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
244 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help.. taking special presents in hand luggage

Mathlady, sounds like your a bit over the top there with comparing a watch to an explosive device. Wow, just wow. Watching too many cowboy movies or maybe your hoping to join the TSA in their over dramatic search and seizure.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
244 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help.. taking special presents in hand luggage

Its safe to say you can leave the watch in your checked bag, no need to unwrap it but leave it in there. If however you decide to take it on your carryon then its a crap shoot of sorts on it being opened or even broken by the TSA if they decide on a whim to search your bag. They really don't give a hoot weather or not they break it as they've done to a gift I recently had in my carry on this past week. A bunch of loose cannons.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,404 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help.. taking special presents in hand luggage

"Its safe to say you can leave the watch in your checked bag"

---

I wouldn't recommend leaving a watch - especially if it is a valuable item in checked luggage.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,355 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help.. taking special presents in hand luggage

'Its safe to say you can leave the watch in your checked bag, no need to unwrap it but leave it in there.' Is it safe to say this? With respect to items one is not prepared to lose, most regular travellers would say it is unwise to place them in checked bags; I certainly would not put this type of item in a checked bag.

'If however you decide to take it on your carryon then its a crap shoot of sorts on it being opened or even broken by the TSA if they decide on a whim to search your bag.' It's unlikely that the watch will be opened (really?) or broken by the TSA.

As the OP is flying from the UK to Orlando, unless she and her husband need to change planes in the States they will not meet any TSA staff until their departure from that country, by which time her husband will be wearing the watch after it was given to him.

Security staff at Heathrow or Gatwick aren't likely to care about the watch, but I would leave it unwrapped and safely in my hand baggage. I'd also leave the aftershave in its original bottle and place it in the 1 L bag for the Security check. The packaging for the aftershave can go in the checked bag.

Reply to: Please help.. taking special presents in hand luggage
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted