We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting non-Schengen side when flying within Schengen?

Helsinki, Finland
9 posts
Save Topic
Visiting non-Schengen side when flying within Schengen?

Is it allowed to visit non-Schengen side at the airport when my origin and destination are both inside the Schengen area? I've done it once (they didn't ask my boarding pass at the passport control) but the passport controller was a little angry when I came back. So the question is if there is some real rule that forbids doing like this.

16 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
20,250 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting non-Schengen side when flying within Schengen?

Will you be in transit, and at which airport?

Helsinki, Finland
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting non-Schengen side when flying within Schengen?

Not transit, just one direct flight. I'm wondering mainly about Helsinki Airport in Finland but are there different rules some elsewhere in Schengen area?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
258 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting non-Schengen side when flying within Schengen?

I've done it in AMS many times--but they run the airport as both an airport an a shopping mall.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,425 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting non-Schengen side when flying within Schengen?

In all the airports I've visited in Schengen countries there has only been access to the non Schengen area for those passengers leaving the Schengen area.

In these airports the main departure lounge with all the shops and restaurants is accessible to all passengers, then those leaving the Schengen area have to pass though border control and there is no way back to the main departure lounge. In the airports I've travelled through there are few facilities in the non Schengen area. I haven't been to Helsinki but would have though it would be a similar set up.

Why do you want to go? Maybe post on the Helsinki forum.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,914 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting non-Schengen side when flying within Schengen?

Schengen and non-Schengen areas are kept separate at HEL. In my experience, on arrival from a non-Schengen airport one could stay in that area of the airport, but for access to the rest of the facility and in order to leave the airport one must go through the Finnish border checkpoint.

It's the same for the reverse journey. There is a fair bit of airport to wander through on arrival from the city centre, but if your flight departs to a non-Schengen destination you won't reach the gate without going through the exit checkpoint.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,971 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting non-Schengen side when flying within Schengen?

As a general rule it's very very dependent on the airport but most of all very very dependent on your nationality and immigration status/entry clearance.

If you enter a non-Schengen part of an airport in a Schengen country you have to clear passport control, at which point you have exited the Schengen Area and you'd need to clear security to get to that concourse. To get back, you will have to clear immigration and Customs back into the Schengen Area and then you'd need security again to get to your departure gate.

If you have a Norwegian (EEA) passport you'll have the entry clearance back in, but you'll quite likely get frowned upon doing so as if everyone did that it would be (at best) wasting people's time, both Border/Customs/security staff AND passengers who'd have to queue up behind freeloaders like you.

Indeed at many security checkpoints you need to show your boarding pass and get it scanned. Again depending on the airport layout you may be stopped there as your boarding pass would indicate the wrong area of the airport.

Frankly I'd consider it irresponsible to even try getting to the "other" part of the airport terminal for the reasons mentioned above, unless that section were initially freely available to all pax.

Edited: 24 August 2017, 14:52
UK
Level Contributor
6,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting non-Schengen side when flying within Schengen?

"If you enter a non-Schengen part of an airport in a Schengen country you have to clear passport control, at which point you have exited the Schengen Area and you'd need to clear security to get to that concourse. To get back, you will have to clear immigration and Customs back into the Schengen Area and then you'd need security again to get to your departure gate. "

Why would one have to re-clear security?

If the two are connected (without having to go landside), and they're both sterile, then there should not be any security checks between them.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,971 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting non-Schengen side when flying within Schengen?

Why would one have to re-clear security?

If the two are connected (without having to go landside), and they're both sterile, then there should not be any security checks between them.

=========

Okay that maybe so but it would be airport dependent.

It doesn't negate the other issues, including wasting staff time processing pax in and out of Schengen and the inconvenience to regular pax having to line up behind these freeloaders.

There was a thread a couple of days ago from someone who tried this at (I think LIS), border control refused and the OP ranted.

Edited: 24 August 2017, 17:01
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,914 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting non-Schengen side when flying within Schengen?

On rereading the original post I don't think vaooav96 will be able to do what he proposes.

In order to reach the non-Schengen gates at HEL one must go through the passport check, and when flying from HEL I've had to show a boarding pass along with my passport when leaving the Schengen area of the airport

I'd expect close (but polite) questioning as to why one would want to go through to the non-Schengen gates without a boarding pass for a flight from that part of the airport, and without a BP I'd expect to be refused entrance to that area.

The reverse journey would mean going through passport control from non-Schengen through the baggage hall and to the Arrivals area. In order to reach the Schengen gates the OP would have to go back through Security.

It would be a great deal of faff if allowed, and again I suspect that vaooav96 wouldn't get past the passport check between Schengen and non-Schengen.

UK
Level Contributor
874 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting non-Schengen side when flying within Schengen?

There are automated gates at HEL to the right of the staffed desks if you are going from Schengen into non-Schengen. Now I'm not sure how they would respond to someone going in and out but in theory it would only kick out an error on the return trip where the OP would have a legitimate boarding pass for a Schengen flight. You might get a raised eyebrow at that point if your recent exit is highlighted.

My standard adivce at airports is to not test the system but each to their own.

Reply to: Visiting non-Schengen side when flying within Schengen?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted