We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this normal when booking a flight online?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is this normal when booking a flight online?

I'm trying to book a flight from Manchester to Tokyo next year using sites such as Sky Scanner. When going through the booking process the site prompts you for payment but does not give options to select seats or specify requirements for meals. Is this normal? I have booked flights this way before and have always selected seats etc before payment.

Can anyone help please?

19 replies to this topic
Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,846 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this normal when booking a flight online?

Don't book with on-line sites linked to Skyscanner

Identify the flight/airline you wish to book and the go direct to the airline site and book your flight there,seats/extras/luggage/etc

(However some like Emirates you book seats after payment)

Post again with the airline of choice and we will advise further

SS

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
3,362 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this normal when booking a flight online?

As above - you can find just as many deals on the airlines sites without the worry.

Next March/April/May is around £520 most dates with SAS or Turkish, as opposed to £880 with BA.

try searching here http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ and find flights you like for your dates, then visit the airlines site.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this normal when booking a flight online?

ANY third party site such as skyscanner, expedia, travelocity etc DO NOT allow you to choose seats or specify meals as they are brokers to the airlines. Because the airlines has to pay commissions to the sites, they sell restricted tickets which ultimately punish you the customer.

Unless you're booking a hotel, car and air package, you should never book through a third party site for airfare alone. Most airlines sell packages as well so it's almost always in your best interest to book directly with the airline.

But of course, not all airlines allow you to choose your seats without additional fees.

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this normal when booking a flight online?

Skyscanner is not an online travel agents - it is simply a website that finds flights for you and then you book direct with the airline.

Booking seats and special requirements for meals are usually done after payment in my experience, no matter which airline you're flying with.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this normal when booking a flight online?

>>> Booking seats and special requirements for meals are usually done after payment in my experience, no matter which airline you're flying with. <<<

I generally have the exact opposite experience. Almost all flights I have booked in recent years, I have been able to select seats before payment. That includes US and European airlines.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this normal when booking a flight online?

Thank you everyone for your help.

I can only go between 30th March and 13th April as I work in a school.

I looked on the Matrix website and Turkish airlines were coming up around £500 and SAS was £600 for those dates but when I went on to the airlines websites Turkish airlines were coming up at over £1000 per person during those dates.

SAS came up up at over £900 on their website.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this normal when booking a flight online?

CatoMoz - yes because matrix shows live pricing. Skyscanner does not and if you look through this forum, you'll see plenty of people who thought they were booking on skyscanner not realising that they went through to a shonky 3rd party who took their money and then screwed up the booking.

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
972 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this normal when booking a flight online?

@trektheusa - I rarely book via Expedia, but absolutely have been able to choose seats there as recently as two months ago. It really depends on the airline, but a reliable and legitimate third-party site like Expedia does often allow seat selection.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,462 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this normal when booking a flight online?

ITA Matrix live pricing is subject to individual airlines. It's not universal that all results you see are live pricing.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,663 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this normal when booking a flight online?

Bella, I too have the opposite experience to yours, in that extras are booked at the same time as the flights and one payment is made for the lot. Of course, it's always possible to book extras at a later date as well.

Reply to: Is this normal when booking a flight online?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted