We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways International

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
British Airways International

BA asking to pay for seats in spite if when the map of the plane is for "information purpose only", so ever if you pay for seat it does not mean that it is what you want. If somebody recently was so risky to use option choose see for free when check-in is open and was able to find not ugliest seats?

20 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: British Airways International

Your post is giving me a headache. It doesn't make any sense.

Edited: 16 August 2017, 06:34
Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: British Airways International

Yip, utter gibberish!!

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
734 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British Airways International

I am sorry I cant understand the question

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
851 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: British Airways International

I think he or she does not want to pay for preselected seats and wants to choose his/her seats at the airport and is telling people that is what he or she did (or will do ?) in order to show us how to save money ?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
6,307 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: British Airways International

Me neither.

Think it may translate to you have to,pay for your seats if you want to select in advance and they may be asking if they wait to online check in when selection is free, if they would only have undesirable ("ugly") seats.

Who knows though.

OP! Yes if you want to choose your seats in advance and don't have status, you pay to do so. If you wait until online check in opens yiu don't pay for seat selection. No idea what the choice would be like at OLVI as I always pay to select my seats.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: British Airways International

Need this translated

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,904 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: British Airways International

'BA asking to pay for seats in spite if when the map of the plane is for "information purpose only"' The seat selection charge is optional. The seat map *is* for information only as it's going to change between the day you buy your ticket and the day OLCI (online check in) opens. In the interim, some of the seats shown will be held for OLCI in any event.

'so ever if you pay for seat it does not mean that it is what you want.' If by this you mean that if you pay for a seat you will not retain that seat then no, you're wrong. Rarely seats are changed if there is an equipment change, but efforts are made to give comparable seats in that situation. If you pay for a seat and don't receive an equivalent seat in this case then you can apply for a refund of the seat selection charge.

'If somebody recently was so risky to use option choose see for free when check-in is open and was able to find not ugliest seats?' It's not risky to pay for seats in advance if you are very keen to sit in specific seats. No airline guarantees any seat, but it's not the norm to be shifted after having paid for seats.

In terms of waiting for OLCI to open, you are not likely to be limited to 'ugliest seats'. I chose bulkhead seats (not exit row seats therefore no charge) for my sister and brother in law for long haul flights in June and July after making the small effort of checking them in as soon as OLCI opened.

Pewsey, United...
Level Contributor
4,759 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: British Airways International

Also remember, you technically make a seat “request” not a “booking”, you will get a refund if you pay for a seat but don’t get it, but basically if you want to chose - you pay.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: British Airways International

I mean, what is sense to pay for seats if map of the plane as say on BA web site do not reflect actual plane, only for information?

Mean room for legs, more space - it could be in different row, not in which you pay?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,904 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: British Airways International

'I mean, what is sense to pay for seats if map of the plane as say on BA web site do not reflect actual plane, only for information?' Read my post seven. There are seat maps for all of their planes at the BA website so you can compare the cabin layouts for the 777s and 747s. In terms of available seats, that can and will change every day between the day you book and when OLCI opens.

Reply to: British Airways International
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted