We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United airlines - upgraded?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
United airlines - upgraded?

We go to America in November flying with united (sadly!). We are going for my 30th and we get married in Vegas then on to New York for a honeymoon. Has anyone ever been upgraded with united airlines? Just chancing my arm! Also what is included on the flight? we have meals on two of them but was wondering if drinks etc are provided

Thanks

35 replies to this topic
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,406 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United airlines - upgraded?

Are you wanting a free upgrade? If so the chances are next to nothing. Your wedding is important to you but the airline is not interested, reality check. There will be others who have equally as important celebrations.

If you are prepared to pay I'm sure someone who knows United will tell you how to do it. Details of service will be found on their web site.

Enjoy LV & NY.

Edited: 15 August 2017, 18:24
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,088 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United airlines - upgraded?

If there are any upgrades these will firstly go to those with status - yes there can be free upgrades from economy but only when it suits the airline to do so such as economy being oversold and it's extremely rare.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,908 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United airlines - upgraded?

"We go to America in November flying with united (sadly!)"

==>> Why sadly? United is fine in economy, no worse nor better than other transatlantic airlines.

"Has anyone ever been upgraded with united airlines?"

==>> Yes, me frequently. But I'm a top tier frequent flier with United so get preference. For non elites they do sometimes make offers for paid upgrades for several hundred pounds/dollars.If that happens it's a one time offer, meaning if you decline you won't get offered it again. So be prepared for this and think how much you're willing to pay. The upgrade is to business class,wich has lie flat beds on all long haul international flights.

Which route are you flying?

And whether the upgrade works out or not, congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

Edited: 15 August 2017, 18:34
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,322 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United airlines - upgraded?

Sadly ? That was my first reaction as well Coach is coach is coach. If you want to upgrade purchase the upgrade now. You won't get one from free sadly

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,255 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United airlines - upgraded?

If your honeymoon isn't a special enough occasion for you to warrant paying for an upgrade then why should the airline give it to you?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,399 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United airlines - upgraded?

Sadly? If you don't like UA, why'd you book with them? There's nothing wrong with UA. You get nonalcoholic drinks free, and free beer and wine.

You will never get a free upgrade. Look at your reservation on UA's webpage. There may be an option to upgrade now, but you'll have to pay for it.

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
500 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: United airlines - upgraded?

On the chance of an upgrade without using points or a certificate, even for someone like myself who flies 100,000 miles a year is zero. If you don't want to pay for business class consider economy plus seats. You will be feed on your flight to the US and a free drink is a possibility but not to be counted on in economy.

Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: United airlines - upgraded?

Yep - even as a global service member (invite status level only) I have nearly 0 chance of international upgrades without using miles or a certificate to upgrade. Have a great honeymoon and make the best of the economy flight. Also , at times they can offer day of departure upgrades. The price varies and only you can determine if it's worth the price.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
41,404 posts
1,251 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: United airlines - upgraded?

We have often gotten offers to upgrade from E+ to FC on UA Domestic flights.

Some are very good offers, such as $8/pax, per direction, for IAH - IAD - snatched that in seconds. Now, LAX - SFO was once offered at $400+/pax, for one leg. Just had a good laugh over that, as FC RT for PHX-LAX-SFO was $389.

As stated, I have never seen a second offer for upgrade on a UA flight - use it (at time of offer), or lose it.

Now, and for some years, UA puts all FF's onto the Complementary Upgrade list. These are headed out by an algorithm, predicated on Base Fare of ticket, FF Status, and ?.

For long-haul, I usually buy an upgrade able BC ticket, then pledge my Global Upgrade Certificates to move up to Global FC/Polaris FC. So far, and with very high FF Status, I have moved "up" maybe 30% of the time.

General observation indicates that flights are going out pretty full. At least Domestic flights have had quite a few stand-boys, not make flight.

Good luck, and congratulations on the upcoming nuptials,

Hunt

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,552 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: United airlines - upgraded?

Make sure to tell the agent how sad you are about having to fly with them before you ask for the upgrade. Should increase your chances.

Edited: 16 August 2017, 00:47
Reply to: United airlines - upgraded?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted