We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK to Miami flights

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
712 posts
30 reviews
UK to Miami flights

Hi there, we have 2 options when flying into Miami. One from Manchester with Thomas Cook, the other from London with BA. Does anyone have any experience of both to advise which is the better carrier. We will have to fly to either airport from the Isle of Man so that part is the same with either option.

24 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,953 posts
204 reviews
1. Re: UK to Miami flights

Aer Lingus are starting a direct flight from Dublin from September 2017. It will have the benefit of preclearance but not sure of getting to Dublin from IOM and you don;t say when you are traveling.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
22,965 posts
36 reviews
2. Re: UK to Miami flights

I've flown with BA numerous times and would choose them over Thomas Cook primarily because you have many other options of getting to MIA if there are operational issues on the day of your flight.

I would expect Thomas Cook to be a lot cheaper than BA and if prices are comparable it's a no brainer in my opinion.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,566 posts
258 reviews
3. Re: UK to Miami flights

Loads more options if you are prepared to pick up a connecting flight.

We did Manchester/ Washington/ Miami.

We always fly from Manchester and over the years have done quite a few different connections in USA and used various airlines.

Very familiar with flying Manchester- Atlanta and then onwards depending on where we are travelling to.

Usually wait until there are seat sales and prices are very favourable.

This year we are doing Manchester/Atlanta/ Dallas which was booked week before last Christmas when Virgin had a seat sale.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
23,768 posts
2,356 reviews
4. Re: UK to Miami flights

I have done Thomas Cook to Miami from Manchester. TC does have some regular special offer fares which makes flying with them worthwhile. BA offers a full service, with TC food and luggage has to be added. You even need to bring a tablet loaded with movies, as their range of films at the IFE are rather paltry.

TC flights depart after midday which should give you time to connect from the Isle of Man in the morning.

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
712 posts
30 reviews
5. Re: UK to Miami flights

Thanks all. Travelling dates are late July.

TC are working out quite a bit cheaper but my worry is the standard. Even with an upgrade to premium economy TC is cheaper then BA but not sure the upgrade offers much. The entertainment package is obviously more important on longer flights and I remember TC's being pretty poor years ago but hoped they may have improved.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,566 posts
258 reviews
6. Re: UK to Miami flights

It's only a flight and if it is significantly cheaper then why not choose Thomas Cook?

I would look at other flight options such as Virgin though and compare a few prices overall before deciding.

In flight entertainment I class as very low priority as you can take your own.

Last went long haul with Thomas Cook about 4 years ago so not very recent.

It was part of a Caribbean cruise package and to be fair it was very good.

Have friends who flew with them last year as they have increased their USA routes and they were very happy with the standard for what they paid (premium).

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
712 posts
30 reviews
7. Re: UK to Miami flights

Had a look with Virgin(they would be my preference) but they are expensive for the dates we need to take. We also don't really want to have a stopover as we already have to have one when coming from the IOM. Will check the TC again and factor in luggage and if they are still considerably cheaper think we might give them a go.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
557 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: UK to Miami flights

Done both to MIA and for the price Thomas Cook are for me far better value especially if you get put on BA'a B747 aircraft out of LHR. If you book one ticket with a Flybe connection from the Isle of Man you will be covered if anything goes wrong. Movies can be upgraded for £5 but easier to just load movies on an i-pad.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
23,768 posts
2,356 reviews
9. Re: UK to Miami flights

I actually posted a review of my Thomas Cook flight to and from Miami.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Airline_Review…

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,996 posts
10. Re: UK to Miami flights

Have a look at " American" air AA735 from Manchester to Miami

via PHL, flight from Manchester departs at 10:50 AM

arriving into PHL around 1.30 PM

PHL to MIA flight AA 407 departs at 4:05 PM

arriving into MIA around 6pm

All times are local

Go to the American site and sign-up for email alerts

and watch them on the likes of Twitter & Facebook

for similar offers and you should find an offer going.

All the best.

Reply to: UK to Miami flights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted