We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Canada charging for seats?

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
438 reviews
Air Canada charging for seats?

We're thinking of heading to Nova Scotia this summer. Looking at a few flights that include a connection.

Do they really charge for seats for each individual flight? This might be a deal breaker for us. We have only flown with AC once and it wasn't a great experience.

110 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,920 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Air Canada charging for seats?

For those on the cheapest (Tango) fares, yes they do charge for advance seat reservation (ASR) per flight, for domestic, transborder (US) and select short haul international flights.

For Latitude, Flex, Premium Economy, Business class and all fares on long haul flights they don't.

ASR is always free of charge at check in.

https:/…online-advance-seat-selection.html

Edited: 16 April 2017, 14:57
Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
2,757 posts
59 reviews
2. Re: Air Canada charging for seats?

From where you live, I'd be looking to drive to Newark instead of Philly. United has multiple daily non-stop flights from EWR to YHZ. It may be 30 minutes longer to get to the airport, but the non-stop flight makes your overall travel time that much less.

Canada
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
81 reviews
3. Re: Air Canada charging for seats?

But look at the great exchange rate you will get for your American bucks in Canada!

New Haven...
Level Contributor
281 posts
273 reviews
4. Re: Air Canada charging for seats?

If you have children under the age of 12 with you, they do not charge for seat assignments so that you can be assured of sitting together. The only hassle is that it has to be done by phone and there's often a long hold time with Air Canada.

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
438 reviews
5. Re: Air Canada charging for seats?

Thanks for the replies. DCH, I always look at Newark, we use that airport more than Philly. Fares are always better with United compared to AA, or in this case AC.

Upon further review on our travels, rates were too good to pass up from EWR to Vancouver. We booked United out for $143 and AC on the flip side for $169.

Since the rates were so good I upgraded to Premium Economy Class on AC for the flight back. Research says it's worth it on the 787-8 plane.

Excited to be going back to British Columbia. We were out there 3 years ago and loved it!

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
6. Re: Air Canada charging for seats?

I was told on the phone by someone at Air Canada in the UK that even at web check- in you have to pay if you want to choose seats.Only at airport check-in can you get free seats.Then , of course, they don't say how many seats they reserve for airport check-in. I'm terrified we will get bumped off the flight as that would be a convenient excuse for the airline if those airport seats had all been allocated by the time we reached the desk.

On the Air Canada website they conveniently omit to mention any payment for seats apart from in advance before 24 hour check-in. All the information about this issue is confusing. For instance, on this site someone (US business traveller, Portland, Oregon) said that all longhaul flights don't have payments for seats. Patently not true. I am travelling to Portland via Vancouver in July from London, UK.July 2017

7. Re: Air Canada charging for seats?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 June 2017, 01:35

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
41,418 posts
62 reviews
8. Re: Air Canada charging for seats?

<<For instance, on this site someone (US business traveller, Portland, Oregon) said that all longhaul flights don't have payments for seats. >>

Have you got a link to that?

<<I was told on the phone by someone at Air Canada in the UK that even at web check- in you have to pay if you want to choose seats.Only at airport check-in can you get free seats.>>

Standard seats are free at online check in.

UK
Level Contributor
9,126 posts
26 reviews
9. Re: Air Canada charging for seats?

Unless things have changed in the last couple of months advance seat selection is free on long-haul flights. (It was free last time I travelled)

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
10. Re: Air Canada charging for seats?

Yes. This comment (re long haul flights) is in the first message on this page.In reply to the comment by LeylandSunAddict on this page.

In reply to Aviatrix at 16.31. Yes things have changed. I read on another site comments from the end of March which said that Air Canada were going to charge for ASRs for European destinations.

Reply to: Air Canada charging for seats?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted