We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to find cheap business class flights

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
How to find cheap business class flights

Due to health problems I can't fly economy, so the only time I can

get away and have a holiday is when we can get really cheap business class seats.

I'm finding it hard to find cheap BC seats, so I was wondering

If anyone knows of any sites that I can check that advertise them on special.

If you can help me out I'd really, really appreciate it.

Thank you so much.

32 replies to this topic
London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,209 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to find cheap business class flights

Look out for sales.

I found an Air France Business class flight from London to Tokyo for £912. (Economy runs around £600, premium economy over £1,100)

BA has sales in January.

You may be able to sign up for alerts by airlines that fo to where you want to go.

Please don't fall for the "business class on airmiles" scams. They are against the Airlines T & Cs and you could find yourself out of money and not allowed to fly.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,562 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to find cheap business class flights

Recognize also,that the legal, less expensive business class seats are going to be very restricted. Make sure you understand what you are buying.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,856 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to find cheap business class flights

The first thing to do is to avoid mileage brokers. Those people deal in bartered (and in some cases stolen) frequent flier miles, which is strictly against the T+CS of the airlines. The airlines are very much onto tracking and catching these bartered tickets and if you're caught your ticket will be canceled.

For legitimate business class fares you should sign up to the airlines' fare alerts. Also watch the bloggers on www.boardingarea.com as if a genuine great airfare deal comes along they'll post it.

One option from Australia is the Chinese carriers (China Southern, China Eastern and Air China). They're new to long haul so are competing on price. Their business class may not be the best but it's still way better than Economy.

One other thing. The US carriers (United, American and Delta) now offer cheap advance purchase non-refundable business class fares, which can be reduced further by connecting to partner airlines. Some of these require connecting in China and have long layovers. Example - whereas United business class from my city (Portland) to Bangkok used to cost $7500 I've got $5300 going via Beijing/Shanghai, and last year via Seoul (connecting with Asiana) for $4400. That $4400 fare included a 9 hour layover at ICN but I used that time to do a bit of sightseeing in Seoul.

So if you're prepared to go looking there are legitimate cheap business class options available directly from the airlines.

Just avoid the mileage brokers like the plague.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,220 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to find cheap business class flights

To sing my constant refrain. There is no cheap air fare fairy. If any web site is offering tickets significantly cheaper than the airline, there is a very high probability that the site is a scam of some kind.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,467 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to find cheap business class flights

As said, there's no magic single route to cheap business class seats. Which is not at all the same as saying you cannot find bargains out there.

However, to find these bargains, you need to learn a bit more about which sources you should never touch with a barge pole - the worst offenders having already been explained above. You also need to be prepared to put a bit of effort into doing research yourself. Another tip is you need to be flexible about dates, destinations, etc.

Perhaps if you told us when you wanted to travel and where to, we could offer some slightly more specific advice.

SWT

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to find cheap business class flights

Thanks for all the help and advice.

I had looked at the brokers, thank you all for explaining it to me,

as I was really thinking about contacting them!

I've had 18 operations, knees, hips, pelvis, back and neck etc, I'm like the bionic woman...lol

so I really can't fly far at all without popping tons of pills, and spending time recuperating

once I get to our destination.

I'm in Melbourne , Australia, and before I get any worse, I'd love to see

more of the world, but again, I'm limited, I'd say the maximum time I could cope

in business would be 6 to 8 hrs, so if there's a BC fair that's on special that's within that

range, then that's where we'll go 😀

and honestly I'd be looking at the budget carriers as cost is important .

If anyone's got any other advice or tips, I'm all ears 😀

Thanks guys.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,467 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to find cheap business class flights

I have a question, which you may consider rather personal - so you don't need to answer it. However, it may help you understand some other options out there for you, and give you food for thought with your own research:

What is it about a business class ticket that you seek?

I appreciate you are in not in perfect health physically, but is just more seat width and leg room so you can wriggle around in your seat? Or are you in need of a seat that converts to a lie flat bed so you can lie out for as much as the flight duration allows?

If you want a seat that converts to a bed, then you will only find that by flying business class - and if that's the case, do more research. Not all business class seats are the same. Some airlines have seats that recline back a long, long way in the sleeping position, but still have a bit of a slope. They never go totally horizontal. Others have seats that convert into a totally flat bed. I personally don't like those at all, can never sleep in them and spend the whole flight fighting against sliding down the slope. Others like that angle because flat beds don't suit them, and they prefer just a relaxed position from which to watch in flight movies or whatever. Other things to look out for is the seat width and position. For example, BA have totally flat seats, but they use what's called a ying yang seating position, so seats not beside the aisle face backwards and the passenger not in the aisle has to step over the person seated in the aisle seat's legs, when the seat is in the sleeping position, to get to the toilet. Again, seating layouts and room available can also vary by aircraft, not just airline.

If it's just a more spacious seats you want - then you may not need to splash out for business class at all, but fly airlines that have a premium economy section or sell a few extra leg room seats.

If it's that you cannot easily get up and down from the narrow seats of economy class - especially if the seat in front has been reclined - then you can sometimes pay extra for bulkhead seats but still in economy, which do not have anybody in front and they have more floor space in front of your seat. The drawback of these bulkhead seats is that you cannot stow any personal possession in front of you during take off and landing, it all has to go in the overhead lockers. So, if with your health issues, you need quick and ready access say to medication, that may be a problem of course.

Premium economy cabins are something of a mid point, space and seating wise - but closer to economy than business class in most respects. Qantas have a really nice product and their such cabin has some of the roomiest seats around. Again, check aircraft configs when you research this option.

To learn more about airlines and aircraft configurations and the best seats within each cabin, please may I recommend you read the airline reviews for the airlines that serve Melbourne airport. You can search by both airline and the class of travel, BTW.

Hope you get to travel where you want.

SWT

Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
3,234 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to find cheap business class flights

KLM is having its business class sale now

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,559 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How to find cheap business class flights

Of course living in Oz 6-8 hours puts you in salt water in most directions, so there's that.

Monitor Flight Centre, a big travel agency with offices all around Australia. They frequently have negotiated business class deals with major airlines that will be safe to book (and anything is safer than going through a mileage broker or fake "consolidator.") http://www.flightcentre.com.au/

Monitor this forum on Flyertalk - flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/ and the boards at AFF - www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/community/ - where you can sometimes see great deals. You'll need to brush up on your airline and airport codes first.

Where do you want to go? While prices from Australia can be quite high, round-the-world or "circle Pacific" tickets in business class can be more affordable if you start and end the travel someplace else, for example Oneworld Circle Pacific fares are surprisingly affordable if bought and started in Hong Kong, and round-the-world business class tickets are well priced starting and ending in Japan.

Which is not to say getting to Hong Kong or Tokyo is all that easy or cheap from Melbourne, just saying that thinking outside the box can be useful sometimes. You could ask the same people at Flight Centre about this.

Good luck!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4,092 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to find cheap business class flights

A note about Flight Centre, you may wish to read reviews about them.

Reply to: How to find cheap business class flights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted