We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

China Eastern Airlines Connection In Shanghai-Pudong?

Eastbourne...
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
China Eastern Airlines Connection In Shanghai-Pudong?

Hi all,

I have a flight from London to Japan (FUK) that goes via Shanghai-Pudong International Arpt(PVG)-China with China Eastern Airlines.

Both stages of my flight are with the same airline, and they were all purchased in one go.

I have a 2 hour stopover in Shanghai-Pudong International Airport, and I am a bit worried about the timings.

Has anyone flown this airline / through this airport? Is 2 hours a reasonable amount of time to transfer at this airport?

Also, if anything happens and I miss my connecting flight, will the airline be liable to help or will they not care and it be up to me to sort?

17 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
4,666 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: China Eastern Airlines Connection In Shanghai-Pudong?

If your flight is late arriving or there are delays which you have no control over the airline will put you on the next flight which has available seating.

Click the link below for reviews of this airline from past passengers, they are not too encouraging.

airlinequality.com/airline-reviews/…

Eastbourne...
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: China Eastern Airlines Connection In Shanghai-Pudong?

Thanks for the link to that website. You are right, it doesn't look great at all. A lot of the reviews seem to involve problems with the airport, so fingers crossed for a smooth journey!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: China Eastern Airlines Connection In Shanghai-Pudong?

I flew China Eastern business class Chicago to Shanghai to Saigon and the airline and the airport are without fault. The airline will accommodate one way or another for connections on one ticket. The trend would be to book the least cost China Eastern and expect the services of the most cost airlines. Be prepared for the situations noted in the reviews.

Eastbourne...
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: China Eastern Airlines Connection In Shanghai-Pudong?

Thanks very much for the input. View-with-a-room, do you know if I would have to go through security and get an exit visa or anything when doing a transfer?

My understanding would be that because its a transfer I wouldn't have to, but the reviews etc make me unsure?

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
150 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: China Eastern Airlines Connection In Shanghai-Pudong?

With two hours to transfer in PVG you should really be in pretty good shape, as I found it to be a fair efficiently run airport. As this may come as a comfort, I flew into PVG on China Eastern and it went fine, and as having enough time to make a transfer, of 5 domestic trips I flew in China, not one was even close to being on time. Talking to regular flyers in the airport, delays are quite typical in China, and on time is more of a concept than a reality.

In regards to security, we had to go through security whilst connecting through HNG, connecting to the same airline, but I'm not familiar with how security would be judged on the mainland.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,588 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: China Eastern Airlines Connection In Shanghai-Pudong?

2 hours is just right, standard transit time. You should have no problem.

I rarely experienced flight delays in China, I've been traveling and flying in China on business visits over 24 years, but I have seen many TA online posts saying China flights are often late.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
9,327 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: China Eastern Airlines Connection In Shanghai-Pudong?

This month I had 4 domestic flights in China plus 2 international flights into and out of PVG. One of the domestic flights arrived about 30 minutes late. The other domestic flights where on time or just a couple of minutes late and the international ones where both about an hour ahead of schedule.

But I have seen a good number of delayed flights announced while waiting at the airports.

Eastbourne...
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: China Eastern Airlines Connection In Shanghai-Pudong?

Thanks for all the replies everyone. It seems very hit and miss for people, so I am staying optomistic! Hopefully I dont have to go through security again when I am connecting.

As I am not familiar with this airport and it seems different to other airports I have connected in (Dubai) does anyone know if I will have to collect my suitcase to then be given back to China Eastern, or will they take care of it?

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
10,671 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: China Eastern Airlines Connection In Shanghai-Pudong?

I've done a few transfers through Pudong. Two hours should be enough. You do have to go through a few immigration checkpoints, but the process is pretty fast.

The flights out were all delayed, so the odds are that rather than missing a flight, you'll be sitting around cooling your heels waiting for your next flight out.

Edited: 01 February 2017, 10:35
Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
10,671 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: China Eastern Airlines Connection In Shanghai-Pudong?

"does anyone know if I will have to collect my suitcase to then be given back to China Eastern, or will they take care of it?"

I don't remember having to do this. Sometimes it's hard for me to remember what I did at specific airports, though. After awhile you have a hard time keeping what happened at which airport straight.

Edited: 01 February 2017, 10:41
Reply to: China Eastern Airlines Connection In Shanghai-Pudong?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;