We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exotic Travel Club - Karisma Resorts (EDR)

Cajun Country
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Exotic Travel Club - Karisma Resorts (EDR)

I would love to get any feedback from anyone owning a timeshare through Exotic Travel. I am returning to EDR again because this is my favorite all-inclusive resort & I am considering buying a timeshare there. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

640 replies to this topic
341. Re: Exotic Travel Club - Karisma Resorts (EDR)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 December 2011, 20:05

Edison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
342. Re: Exotic Travel Club - Karisma Resorts (EDR)

Hey, what do you mean as long as you didn't purchase All Inclusve? I purchased an all inclusive 75 explorer weeks for about 7grand from Azul Beach in Cancun. Lifetime and unlimited uses, did i get ripped off????

haril79@gmail.com

Edison, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
343. Re: Exotic Travel Club - Karisma Resorts (EDR)

Hey, what do you mean as long as you didn't purchase All Inclusve? I purchased an all inclusive 75 explorer weeks for about 7grand from Azul Beach in Cancun. Lifetime and unlimited uses, did i get ripped off????

haril79@gmail.com

Ontario
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
344. Re: Exotic Travel Club - Karisma Resorts (EDR)

Did you not get any exotic weeks, only explorer. Exotic weeks can be used at any of the Karisma Resorts, explorer weeks you get use anywhere using RCI, Interval ,ICE etc

New Jersey
Level Contributor
417 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
345. Re: Exotic Travel Club - Karisma Resorts (EDR)

If you purchased all of your weeks as Explorer, you will only be able to deposit them through any of the trade organizations such as RCI, Interval etc. These places cost you money to trade, just like the company that will "sell your extra weeks" for you that the timeshare sharks tell you about at Exotic club.

Since you bought at Azul Beach, you'll be able to go to Azul Beach, El Dorado Royale and El Dorado Seaside Suites as much as you would like. The other resorts in the Karisma group would be limited in the times you could go there. You will get the current promotional rate of 48% off if you decide to go. Joe Blough off the street booking through cheap caribbean or any other company can get around 25 or 30 % when they run promotions.

If you take the 7000 you paid and divide it by going 20 times, you will pay 350 dollars for the privilege of going to a Karisma resort. That 350 is probably more than the savings you will receive between the 48% off you get as an Exotic member and the 25-30% that Joe Blough gets. You also need to get airfare on your own instead of possibly having it packaged together.

The ONLY way that it makes sense is if you are going to use it a lot, and you can get cheap airfare on your own...then maybe and I will say maybe it's worth it. But for 95% of people...it's not.

Consider yourself ripped off.

Edited: 03 May 2011, 23:09
Metuchen, New Jersey
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
346. Re: Exotic Travel Club - Karisma Resorts (EDR)

I've tried to read a lot of pages of this thread, and it seems there are really two camps - those that think this whole exotic club is a scam / waste of money, and those that love it (assuming its not just all Exotic employees posing as happy customers). As a potential new member, I'm trying to keep an open mind. Hopefully someone can help me with the answers to the following two questions:

- When I was offered this deal, we had the choice of RCI or II. Is it better to go with RCI or Interval International for those of us that plan on using a significant number of our weeks as "explorer weeks", and exchanging for other properties? I've heard on RCI the Karishma resorts come in with a low point value, but lets you combine weeks to get something good (although if the cap of 2 or 3 weeks that you can exchange is enforced, don't know how this would work). The Exotic folks seemed to push II as easier to deal with and exchange for quality weeks.

- Do these weeks always go into the exchange banks as azul sensatori off-peak time studios (assuming a sapphire membership)? I've heard the karishma hotels are rated premium 5 star resorts on II, but do people have luck actually exchanging these weeks and getting quality destinations during good times? This is really what will determine if this program is a decent deal or a ripoff, and what I am most interested in.

Thanks for your time.

Thanks

Edited: 04 May 2011, 11:24
Metuchen, New Jersey
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
347. Re: Exotic Travel Club - Karisma Resorts (EDR)

Anyone with responses?

Lake Elsinore...
Level Contributor
90 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
348. Re: Exotic Travel Club - Karisma Resorts (EDR)

I am a real owner and not a Exotic Employee. We have had no problems exchanging our Platinum Casita weeks with RCI. We have been owners since Dec. 2007 and so far did following exchanges before the combining weeks was offered at RCI:

1 week at Villa Vera on Isla Mujeres in a Penthouse Suite with large bathroom and private 5 person jacuzzi on the Terrace. Exchange fee only $179

1 week at Grand Sirenis Maya Beach resort in a hotel room AI fee was $147 for both of us per night +$199 exchange fee

1 week at Tahoe Summit Village in Stateline NV above South Lake Tahoe in a cute 2 bedroom condo. $179 exchange fee

1 week at Grand Mayan Riviera Maya in a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo with private plunge pool on the balcone. Non AI for $199 exchange fee.

Besided this we have always gotten 48% and 50% off on the AI fee at ED Royale, ED Seaside Suites and ED Casitas so far. And they always upgraded us to the next suite category up. We received free beach dinner for our anniversary, got to enjoy 2 really nice Gala Member Nights and some other perks. They have always treated us like we are special to them at all ED resorts. And all this without having to pay any maintenance fees or property taxes to pay like most traditonal timeshares. For us this is a very flexible and very useful timeshare program that works really good for us. That are my 2 cents on that topic. We travel from the Los Angeles area and get okay airfare deals some other states get a lot more charter deals that by the way you can book without also booking the hotel portion. We have done this with Apple Vacations flying out of LAX 3 times already.

Lake Elsinore...
Level Contributor
90 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
349. Re: Exotic Travel Club - Karisma Resorts (EDR)

And excuse my spelling but English is only my second language and there is no spell check available to use on here and I had to type fast. Sorry.

New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
350. Re: Exotic Travel Club - Karisma Resorts (EDR)

We bought into Exotic Travel on our last visit to Azul Beach in December. We will be using our 1st week at EL Dorado Royal next month and will let you know how it goes. So far, we got a huge discount on our room rate. This is our 3rd trip to one of their resorts and they have all been fantastic.

Reply to: Exotic Travel Club - Karisma Resorts (EDR)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted