We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another timeshare product - vacation membership or scam?

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
10 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Another timeshare product - vacation membership or scam?

Hello,

There's been an abundance of new timeshare products disguised as memberships and "intro packages". Has anyone found a deal they were happy with and would like to share?

One that I've tried was to purchase an all-inclusive 4 night package at a huge discount, agree to attend the timeshare presentation. This worked as expected the first time in 2017 but the 2nd time this year, many new rules appeared .....that were never spoken about nor in the contract.

Here's some obstacles I came across in 2018 that I didn't run into in 2017.

1) You must attend the timeshare the first day you arrive in the country of the timeshare. Since these packages are only for 4-5 nights, I needed to get another hotel to complete the week's stay. Well, according to the unspoken "policy", I needed to stay at timeshare first, the hotel 2nd.

2) There are hidden surcharges for traveling on busy weeks.

- holidays

- not showing up for timeshare first

- not picking the cheapest resort in their directory (this one was the most shady of all the unspoken rules)

- I'm sure I've forgotten a few more Bec my $299 price became $1200 once the fees were added.

3) I've spent over 2 hours on hold for 3 days, trying to reserve the package. And countless more hours to cancel the package and get my money back.

Since my first experience in 2017 worked just fine, I was wondering if others had packages/companies they'd like to recommend.

Thanks!

1 reply
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
8,879 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another timeshare product - vacation membership or scam?

You were lured in by the promise of cheap vacations. A sales team spent hundreds to get you to attend another presentation. When you didn’t bite they collected their money another way.

My advice is to quit now before you really get yourself into trouble.

Reply to: Another timeshare product - vacation membership or scam?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted