Wineries & Vineyards • Valleys
Popular things to do
- Wine Tastings
- Half-day Tours
- Wineries & Vineyards
- Mountain Bike Tours
- Culinary Tour
- Full-day Tours
- Self-guided Tours
- Private Sightseeing Tours
- Top Picks
- Luxury & Special Occasions
- Likely to Sell Out
- Outdoor Activities
- Transfers & Ground Transport
- Air, Helicopter & Balloon Tours
- Sporting Events
- Kayaking Tours
- Special Offers
Top Attractions in Sonoma
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- Sonoma Valley is spectacular, a must visit! Many wineries to visit. Cozy therapeutic feelings everywhereWritten 27 January 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Great shops, restaurants and bars. Great area to walk. Hours of operation tend to be a bit odd. With there were more consistent hours of operations.Written 29 June 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I enjoyed this winery which has beautiful grounds, some unique wines (though not my favorites), and olive oil galore. Unlike some others that mentioned poor hosting/servers, I was treated well by my host Max who was friendly and did a good job serving and going over wines. Winery is near many other wineries which means heavier traffic, but also is quite convenient.Written 18 July 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This was my 2nd favorite winery. Some really good wines, but what I most enjoyed was the Pinz tour run by Rob, one of the family, and learning more about the winery's efforts to become organic/sustainable. Pinz tour would not be that good if a lot of people, but is wonderful if the group is small--stopping in the vineyard to enjoy the scenery and have a charcuterie/cheese platter is a treat. tour also includes some small souvenirs. Did not hear any, but there are often opportunities to hear music.Written 18 July 2022
- Free tasting. Good place to give some varieties a try. Friendly folks pouting. Nice setting, including garden.Written 15 August 2021
- During our brief get-away weekend to Bodega Bay, we drove up the coast a little bit and hiked on the northern half of Kortum Trail. It's an easy hike close to the coastline, through beautiful meadows and with spectacular views of the fascinating rocky beaches. The weather cooperated with beautiful sunshine and a fresh breeze. On a Saturday morning, we had the trail nearly to ourselves. A very pleasant experience.Written 18 June 2022
- Recommended by the visitor center lady to visit when we asked if we had 2 hours where should we go ? She recommended the mission and buena vista winery. She was spot on.
The grounds were beautiful and the experience of tasting was so fun and excellent ! Margot helped us navigate tastings and by the end of it , she knew what we liked better then us 😎
Wines were all great , ambience inside was wonderful and we all had a wonderful time thanks to Margot !!!
We will definitely go back !!!!!!Written 21 July 2022
- Can't say enough positives about this experience. Yes it is expensive, but in my opinion it was well worth it. The mix of instruction and drive time is great, but the real star is that F3 racecar. These machines when pushed can allow you to experience about 3G's of lateral force and supercars don't come close to this. You do need to feel comfortable with clutchless shifting, which one guy in our group did not know how to do and always clutch shifted out of the pits in the face of the instructors trying to get him to do clutchless shifting. There is no feeling like pulling 3-4G's - it is incredibly addictive. If you are sitting on the fence, trust me just do it as it was one of the most fun days I've ever had!Written 7 August 2019
- This was a return visit to Viansa. We were promptly seated for our weekday tasting reservation on the outdoor patio. The day was beautiful and only a few other tables were occupied. Our tasting table provided a great view of the wetland and vineyards below. Our host explained each wine as it was being poured and would then return inside to bring the next wine. This trip, the wines we tried were ok, but none of them wowed us enough to purchase a full bottle. After our 1 hour reservation time ended, our host explained that our table would be closed and offered that we could walk around other areas of the property.Written 3 July 2022
- The wine was very good and the outside seating was exceptional. It was a warm, friendly winery. Our steward was very knowledgeable of the area and the wines. The tasting was reasonably priced.Written 7 November 2021
- Really enjoyed my visit to this winery, which is definitely off the beaten track. This winery has a fascinating history, a neat small vehicle tour of the grounds, and a cave tour. Definitely was worth doing. Wines are wonderful. Just wish they would be cheaper (good luck with that since this place focuses on small volume, premier production). Had some issues w/ charcuterie/cheese plate b/c of food allergies and host/server and chef made some adjustments on the fly. Very good hosting by Grant. Strongly recommend a trip to this place.Written 18 July 2022
- Gloria Ferrar champagnes are always great. However I do agree with a previous reviewer, that a requirement to buy a charcuterie plate with the tasting is a bit much.
With that said, the wait staff was great, the views are spectacular and the bubbles were tasty!Written 12 April 2021
- Our daughter just turned 21 and her friend came out from Arizona as a surprise. We didn't have any lead time to arrange for a wine tasting days in advance. We looked for a winery that would offer us a same day appointment. We called several Carneros wineries (our favorite appellation), some didn't answer the phone, others didn't take same day reservations and one of them had only a morning appointment, which didn't work for us. However, they suggested Nicholson Ranch. We called and they were able to offer us an afternoon appointment on their patio. It was a windy day, but the staff went above and beyond to make it cozy, with lots of umbrellas and very comfortable outdoor sofas. We tasted 5 of their wines, 2 Chardonnays, 2 Pinot Noirs and 1 Merlot, which is great fun because you could compare the Chardonnays and Pinot Noirs. Our guide spent 90 minutes with us and his deep knowledge about wine tasting, making and viticulture blew us away. We are locals, but Liam was so passionate and authentic and we were truly impressed by him. We could ask any question, and he had an answer. He seemed to enjoy us and we thoroughly enjoyed him. His timing was spot on, too. Also, we ordered the cheese plate which was a perfect match with the wines. It was a large serving and served all 4 of us.Written 9 July 2022
- Unfortunately we were only able to see the exterior as the church was closed by the time we got to Sonoma. However, I have seen numerous other historic colonial Spanish Missions in California. This was the most north mission in colonial Spanish California. It was built to protect Spain's claim to California from the Russians coming south from Alaska. Per our guide it was also the last Spanish Mission before Mexican Independence. It was interesting to see the exterior and learn the history. Wish I could have gone in.Written 15 April 2022
- This was by far the best experience we had on our most recent trip. We did the lunch experience and it was amazing. The farm to table food was intriguing and outstanding. The wines were perfection. Our host Zach was great. The caves were so fun to see.Written 26 April 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Sonoma
- The best day trips from Sonoma according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Full-Day Tour from San Francisco
- San Francisco Super Saver: Muir Woods & Wine Country w/ optional Gourmet Lunch
- The Perfect Blend: Napa and Sonoma Combo Wine Tour from San Francisco
- Napa Valley Wineries Tour Including Picnic Lunch
- Wine Country Small-Group Tour from San Francisco with Tastings