Popular things to do
Top Attractions in Newport Beach
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- The beach can have different surf conditions at different spots, so it's worth checking if you want to enjoy the water. Parking is erratic. There is some free parking nearly everywhere, but most is pay, on a system that outsiders may have difficulty figuring out.
The south end of the beach from Balboa Pier to the Wedge tends to be steep and, when it has waves, they're fairly noxious shorebreak. The area around 13-15 street and the jetties north of Newport Pier westward tend to be better. If there's surf (erratic) the jetty at the south end of Balboa Peninsula has a patch of waves when there's a south swell. The Wedge. It can be a spectacle, and on big days, it's advisable for would-be spectators to arrive before dawn. Most of the time, there's plenty of street parking down there.Written 2 June 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Quick and easy experience for the whole family. Didn’t wait long at all as multiple ferry’s run at once. Three cars we trip and although a little scary at first, it was a lot of fun. For our family of 4 and a car it was $7. So very reasonable and unique. Saves about 10 minutes from going around the island. Not much movement aboard from the wake so even the weak of heart will make this trek.Written 9 June 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Although you cannot ride bikes on the main roads or the path next to the water, we still thoroughly enjoyed our bike ride around Balboa Island! We weaved our way up one residential street and down the next, ooh-ing and ahh-ing over one house after another. We then walked our bikes down the main street for lunch, frozen yogurt, and a little shopping. We rented our bikes at 20th Street Bike and Beach rentals, and took the ferry over to the island. The ferry is super easy, and costs $1.75 (cash only) per person. It's a great way to spend part of a day!Written 30 July 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Good shopping experience if you are looking to do something for a few hours. Many favorites located here. The designer shops were mostly in Neiman, Bloomies and Nordstrom but there selections were a little light compared to stand alone stores. There are also a few quick bit stops. Plenty of parking all around.Written 9 June 2022
- We spent some time on a few different beaches along the California shore, and this one was ideal! We loved being across the bay from The Wedge - to see some of the big waves roll in, as well as some of the luxury yachts that cruised on by. My husband, 15yo son, and 12yo son were able to catch some great waves on their boogie boards because of the jetty. We were also able to search for mini crabs, which was a cool experience for us (being from Wisconsin).
There are several fire pits for those later evening stays. The bathrooms and showers were not far away, and we felt there was ample parking nearby.
We would definitely come here again... as the view is amazing! Be sure to bring your sunscreen! The sun is brutal!Written 5 June 2022
- We were staying further up the beach and went down to this boardwalk a couple different times- both times for sunset! We walked the pier, ate food, had drinks and one night even rented bikes for an hour and rode south for a bit and back. Rentals are easy and right there in the main square. Parking is horrendous though- get there an hour or so before sunset or who you will cruising around looking for a spot at sunset!Written 30 July 2022
- Nice place to stop. Ion street parking for the most part. Quick walk to the sand for great ocean views but even better views of the houses and cliffs of surrounding Newport Beach and Corona Del Mar. there were life guard stations and plenty of space for fun. The day we were there the waves were calm but we were told some days there are tremendous waves.Written 9 June 2022
- A gorgeous view of the Pacific and part of the Newport Beach coastline. Aptly named, a peaceful and inspiring interlude!Written 7 October 2021
- We have not been to Newport Beach in many years. It was fun, chili, crisp clear blue sky’s. We walked out on the beach and the pier. Enjoyed our afternoon in the sunshineWritten 7 December 2021
- Such a hidden gem! Loved the collection of plants and displays throughout the gardens. I was intrigued by all the beautiful pinks and purples in so many of the plant varieties.Written 30 June 2022
- Great walking trails along an estuary. Lots of birds. Lots of planes since the trail is on final approach for John Wayne Airport. Nice safe place to run and lots of folks aroundWritten 2 February 2022
- After looking up the local Low Tide time, we headed for Little Corona Beach to check out the tide pools. Free street parking, steep ramp to walk down to the beach (going back up the ramp is much slower going!)
My granddaughter was thrilled to see if there were any sea creatures in the rocks: she only found sea anemones.Written 15 April 2022
- Scenic...thats what came to mind when I visited Balboa Village located in the beautiful City of Newport Beach,California!The whole area is jumping with locals and visitors that come for sun,fun,food,drinks,shopping,walking and people watching on the streets and historical pavillion built by billionaire Henry Huntington! Theres a beautiful beach side marina and beach with plenty of beach recreation activities.Lots to do for everyone that visits Balboa Village!
#marinaparkcommunitycenter #newportbeach #balboapenninsula #waynesalvatti #godisgood #beachlife #balboablvd #socal #californiadreaming #californiadreamin #lighthousecafe #beachcafe #ilovenewport #ilovesocal #surfing #bodysurfing #thewedge #surfinusa #newportbeachcalifornia #lidoisle #lighthouses #iloveligthouses #serene #peaceful #kids #family #fun #beachfun #redline #balboapavillion #henryhuntington #carferryWritten 21 September 2020
- Charming local chapel located on the main street of historic balboa Island. Next to world famous ice cream shops.Written 21 September 2020
- Incredibly beautiful and very calm place to visit. Church services happen at 9 and 11am on Sundays in the chapel located next to the temple. Would highly recommend as a refreshing place to visit in Newport Beach.Written 10 July 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Newport Beach
- The best day trips from Newport Beach according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Hollywood Tour
- Whale-Watching and Orange County Beaches Tour from Anaheim
- Orange County Coastal Sightseeing Tour
- Hollywood PRIVATE Tour
- Temecula Wine Tasting PRIVATE Tour