Popular things to do
- Bus Tours
- Cultural Tours
- Day Trips
- 4WD Tours
- Points of Interest & Landmarks
- Full-day Tours
- City Tours
- History Museums
- Half-day Tours
- Culinary & Gourmet Tour
- Nature & Wildlife Areas
- Dining Experiences
- Nature and Wildlife
- Speciality Museums
- Eco Tours
- Sporting Events
- Airport & Hotel Transfers
- Top Picks
- Luxury & Special Occasions
- Likely to Sell Out
- Family Friendly
- Air, Helicopter & Balloon Tours
- Special Offers
- Thermal Spas & Hot Springs
- Weddings & Honeymoons
- Holiday & Seasonal Tours
- Shopping Tours
Top Attractions in San Jose
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- Not only were we mesmerized by the art and architectural beauty of the theater but the performance tour was, by far, the most entertaining and informative one we have ever taken anywhere in the world!
Yingry Rodríguez and Christian Lopez provided our group a most interesting way in capturing and maintaining our attention by playing the President and First Lady during the time period the national theater was created as well as portraying workers seen painted on the ceiling within the theater. Both in costume with discreet changes of costume “off stage” while we were distracted with the tour by the other guide.
We took the 1pm Spanish-language tour. I am not sure if this is available in English but I would ask about either being available to enjoy when you purchase your tickets.
It is not to be missed!Written 5 May 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Awesome architecture in the basement of a building. Need to wash your hands at the sink near the bathrooms before entering. You can easily spend 2-4 hours here with the incredible displays of various gold objects. The little pieces were so intricate and each one was made individually – no mass production. Interesting to read about the lives of natives and some interactive displays. They were well-done with signs in English and Spanish. It was good having a guide to give insights, but you can get by with a self-guided tour. Clean bathrooms and there are plenty of benches to sit down as you walk around the displays.Written 11 June 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- If your visit to Costa Rica stirred any curiosity about the original peoples and the cultural archeology here, then take the time to visit the Jade Museum. A gorgeous space, with top notch use of technology and varied display methods to engage the viewer. Helped us connect to the land and history of this beautiful place. We are now curious about the archeology museum for our next visit.Written 7 June 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- On last day of our CR visit, we went to the National CR Museum. Loved the butterfly garden at the entrance. Took video of them landing on me. Several exhibitions with great descriptions from different time periods. Highly recommend this museum!Written 31 May 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- We were celebrating our wedding anniversary and wanted to visit a different national park in Costa Rica and close to San Jose. We decided to visit Braulio carillo and chose the second entrance of this park which is the easiest and most popular the Zurqui ranger station. It is just 12 miles (20 km) northeast of San Jose along the Guapiles Hwy (32) and we surprised with a mysterious but lovely animal (An anteater) that was hidden in a tree, this was the first time we ever saw an anteater in the wild such a lovely animal.Written 21 June 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Taking up an entire city block is San Jose's historical central marketplace which consists of all sorts of small businesses from souvenir stalls, a number of restaurants, fruit and spice sellers, et cetera. The market is partly touristy but certainly included many more locals than out-of-towners. We felt completely safe, good typical food was cheap (less than $8 for two full meals), and it was a very great way to spend an hour or two during our visit in June 2022.Written 15 June 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- I walked around the park after a trek from the central district. Traffic is very busy in this city. It's a great relief to have such a green space near the urban core. It could use some more thought about layout and perhaps add some more gardens and plaques to native plants, but otherwise very pleasant. Unfortunately, you have to pay to use the washrooms but that was minor. They were clean, which was appreciated, unlike some cities I could mention. I also like seeing the police patrolling regularly and have a lot of respect for the local force.Written 5 May 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Trip Advisor doesn't seem to have a listing for the Museo Penitencerio that shares space with the Kids museum but it's ultimately separate.
A small but informative museum reckoning with the terrible history of this prison. The museum recreates the conditions using original cells. It includes actual graffiti from the prisoners as well as statues of inmates with authentic artifacts of the the period.
The museum does a good job at taking responsibility for the atrocious conditions they allowed at this site.Written 18 October 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- The beer and food were fantastic! They do not open until 2pm and luckily we arrived there at 1:50pm, so not a long wait. There is no tour of the facility, but I highly recommend going for lunch or dinner.Written 15 January 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- This is an interesting collection of several contemporary artists in Costa Rica's cultural history. The building itself is intriguing to walk around and I spent some time sketching n the courtyard after looking at the work. It's free and the staff are helpful.Written 5 May 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Lots to see. Take your time because there are lots of hidden treasures. Prices are definitely negotiable! Unique items.If you want quality, not your average gifts/souvenirs/art this is the place. Not all vendors spoke English but easy to communicate. Prices quoted in USD but I requested to pay in colognes which was obliged.Written 27 May 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- This is an adventure park with a purpose. The park's motto is "healthy children help sick children". Costa Rica´s Children´s Hospital is financed by the profits of this park. So if you visit, you enjoy and leave a bit of your money for this excellent institution.Written 4 March 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- A cut above the usual tourist curios. Very helpful salesman (Irishman from Quebec living in San Jose) who went over the collection and took the time to explain the objects. Great range in prices from small gifts to major art work. Not far from all the museums in San Jose, worth the tripWritten 20 November 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Very enjoyable to sit on a bench and read in the peace and quiet in the middle of the park. Many trees have their names and description on a plaque.Written 3 July 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- This small garden hosts many beautiful plants and butterflies. It is in a challenging location, but once there, it was very pleasant and restful. It is in the same general area as the Zoological Park, across the same canyon, but you have to travel all the way around on a bridge in order to find it.Written 27 January 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Frequently Asked Questions about San Jose
- The best day trips from San Jose according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Arenal Volcano Full-Day Combo Tour with Lunch and Dinner
- Coffee Experience, Poas Volcano and La Paz Waterfall Gardens
- Arenal Volcano Experience Full-Day Tour from San Jose
- Arenal Volcano & Baldi Hot Springs From San José
- ATV River, Beach, Jungle Adventure and Crocodiles Hotspot from San Jose