Historic Sites • Points of Interest & Landmarks
9 places sorted by traveller favourites
- Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
We perform checks on reviews.
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- Great place (and busy) to take a stroll- enjoy the sea air, the local birdlife and the sound of crashing waves. Walk is concrete and flat- accessible to all.Written 9 April 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Was great to learn a bit about the history of how Newcastle came to be. Special that it was a Polish personWritten 9 May 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The coastal path passes here if walking from Nobbys to Merewether. Worth stopping to check out the gun emplacement and the gunners quarters which are still present (no entry).Written 23 October 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- A great place to get out of the weather, if it's raining or too hot.
There's not really much to see here, apart from the old historical building. If you want a picnic area out of the sun, this would probably be OK.
While you are here have a walk around Foreshore Park and look and the lake and sculpture. The walk along the harbor front is nice and if you are feeling energetic, walk out on the break wall to Nobby's Headland.Written 20 August 2017
- After a fantastic dinner at Scratchleys it was great to be able to take a walk along the harbour foreshore. While most of the wharves are now gone from the area there are historical markers letting you know about the areas working port past. Well maintained and very well lit for a night time walk.Written 12 July 2020
- Walked past this not really noticing anything off hand. Curious though what the artwork was about.
Taking a look around didn't really produce much to learn / read although the designs were somewhat interesting.Written 1 January 2018
- the merchant sailors were the unsung heroes of World War 2 suffering horrific losses. great too see them getting recognitionWritten 16 September 2017
- A great space and so wonderful theyve kept the historic items from the station.
Markets Saturdays are great. Lots of craft and sweet gifts as well as van/street food and great easy entertainment.Written 27 February 2021