12 places sorted by traveller favourites
- Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
We perform checks on reviews.
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- Fabulous Day out taking in all the colours and tradition. Just one small criticism in the the queues for drinks and food were far too long in the Hills Stand in the middle of the afternoon. For an event of this magnitude (and price) this was unacceptable.Written 11 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- New Years Eve in Maribyrnong is always full of excitement. Melbourne comes alive when the clock strikes midnight. Footscray is a culturally diverse community. There's lots of fun on New Year's Eve for everyone.Written 23 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Moomba happens every year around early March.
It begins on a Friday afternoon and progresses over the weekend and ends on the Monday which is usually a public holiday.
Every night at 9.30pm - 9.45pm there are fireworks than can be viewed along the Yarra River, near Birrarung Marr and the Melbourne Tennis Centre.
From Alexander Gardens end to Birrarung Marr you can find a range of rides, stages with music and food vendors. There are street performers and other stalls to capture your attention. You need to buy tickets for the rides and they are not the cheapest, especially if you are a family. The Friday night has a special ticket pass, which is better value.
There are other free events over the 4 days such as the Birdman Rally, a novel way to design a contraption that will possibly fly far over the Yarra River from a launching platform, that the public can enter and water skiing event and tricks.
The most popular part of Moomba is the Moomba Parade. It runs for about an hour on the Monday morning from 10.45am. It showcases the cultural diversity of Melbourne through music, dance and the Arts. There are dancers, acrobats, musicians, floats and of course the king and queen of Moomba which can be a celebrity or someone else chosen. This year we had 2 comedians / TV presenters / actors.
This is a great family event and they line the streets with blankets and snacks for the best view from as early as 9.30am. It usually starts at Birdwood Avenue, Kings Domain and then concludes along Linlithgow Avenue.
Parking is a hassle for the event as many of the parade members park in the main areas [understandably] and some are closed off. Your best bet would be to get public transport, walk or taxi it there.
Don't miss it!
*Photos taken by myselfWritten 6 April 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- It's time to get out and laugh. Comedy acts from Australia and around the planet will perform in venues all around the city of Melbourne. It's said to be one of the world's top comedy festivals. The Melbourne International Comedy Festival will run from 28 March to 23 April 2023.Written 25 December 2022
- Having never been to Chinese New year before I did not know what to expect. There was dragons, dancing, eating and plenty of people. Food trucks lined Southbank and Crown casino had an amazing display in the foyer. Chinese lanterns line the walkway which was lovely to see. We had dumplings at a food truck which were nice enough. It was so wonderful to see happy, smiling people having a good time. There was also celebrations at Docklands with a few food trucks.Written 29 January 2017
- The Melbourne Comedy Festival will take over the city of Melbourne from 28 March to 23 April 2023. It's one of the globe's top comedy festivals. Comedians from Australia and around the planet will perform in venues around the city.Written 25 December 2022
- We have seen the white night a few times of the years but now it all seems like every one wants a piece of the action as it was more like a carnival atmosphere. There were a few displays on the buildings like the Treasury building which was fantastic, but other attractions were too far away and this lost the excitement of the night, other buildings like the town hall and the old museum didnt even get a mention this year. Also the things they had at Birrarung Marr spoiled it for me, as it took away from the art aspect of the event turning it into another royal show or moomba.Written 25 August 2019
- The Melbourne Festival evolved from the Melbourne International Arts Festival. Its first outing will be in 2021, no-ne knows what to expect yet. The expected date has yet to be publcised. The corona virus pandemic has played havoc with the public arts. The festival will not be held in 2020, but if we are lucky the Melbourne Festival will get its first outing in 2021.Written 19 August 2020
- great short film festival based in sydney. they occasionally have it in other cities as well. good fun watching it at fed square with thoysands of other film buffsWritten 26 February 2017
- MIAF is the most brilliant activity I’ve ever been to in the world! Excellent animation works, amazing animators and wonderful present in the stage. P.s. There were two Oscar Award winning animators at one MIAF, and sharing about their stories.Written 5 July 2017
- at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month (11am 11th nov) we remember all that made the ultimate sacrifice in all wars. a sombre occasion at all war memorials. worth visiting the shrine in Melbourne too pay your respectsWritten 25 January 2017
- We found this a fun and busy event, with a carnival atmosphere and lots of friendly people. There was good music, well thought out and very inclusive.
It didn’t feel exclusive, and open minded straight families and people would probably enjoy themselves as well as the LGBTIQ people..
There were polite police around. We got there early and ever more people were arriving as we left a few hours later and I imagine it would have gotten even better.
Well worth a visit when it’s on.Written 18 January 2018
Frequently Asked Questions about Melbourne
- These are the best places for kid-friendly cultural events in Melbourne:See more cultural events for children in Melbourne on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for groups seeking cultural events in Melbourne:See more cultural events for groups in Melbourne on Tripadvisor