Speciality Museums • History Museums
7 places sorted by traveller favourites
- Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
We perform checks on reviews.
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- No entry fee - amazing. Make sure you go up the clocktower. Unfortunately, the perspex makes taking good photos difficult, but the view is excellent.Written 22 August 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- A really good museum about General MacArthur, World War Two in the South Pacific more generally especially the Australian contribution and 1940s life in Brisbane. I very much enjoy military history and this is a good museum with knowledgeable staff. As other reviewers have said, it isn’t for a disinterested teenager.
The entrance isn’t the most obvious unless you are looking for it. Once you have found it, just ring the bell and you will be let in. I have posted a photo in order to help.Written 16 July 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The Commissariat stores is one of Brisbane's oldest buildings.
It is run by the Royal Historical Society of Queensland. This three story building has a very interesting history and houses all manner of artifacts and story boards about the history of Brisbane and the surrounding area. The staff (all volunteers) is very friendly and will provide you with a guided tour should you wish. The cost is $8 AUD. If you are visiting Brisbane, take the time to visit this museum.Written 26 December 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This historic house is a short 30min bus ride from Brisbane CBD and is a great example of a character Queenslander house that has been owned and maintained by a volunteer women’s group for many years. The house and it’s furniture represent a treasure trove of interesting antiques and historic objects. The volunteer staff are very helpful and knowledgeable. Expect to spend an hour or so here. Perhaps longer if you partake in the cream teas.Written 5 November 2019
- Although on a small footprint, in the absence of atriums, gift shops and cafes, every square inch is devoted to the title of the museum. We have been to a number of motor museums and yet we learned fascinating new facts about the history of racing cars and bikes. The volunteers are passionate about the history of the displays and are happy to tell you as much as you'd like to know. My 15 year old son and I both enjoyed our visit. We'll be recommending this museum to our friends.Written 17 August 2018
- Incredible natural in our world, this view is in our region, we call air putih yang berdekatan kolamWritten 1 March 2021
- three heritage listed sites in one location. the hangar no 7 wartime secrets is where on General Macarthur’s orders aussie serviceman worked long and hard to unlock the secrets of the devastating japanese zero. very interesting exhibits.
there is also Allison engine testing grounds were plane engines were serviced and rebuilt during WW2. Finally is the historic old womens prisonWritten 20 December 2017
Frequently Asked Questions about Brisbane
- These are the best places for budget-friendly history museums in Brisbane:See more budget-friendly history museums in Brisbane on Tripadvisor