Speciality Museums • History Museums
19 places sorted by traveller favourites
- Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
We perform checks on reviews.
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- No entry fee - amazing. Make sure you go up the clocktower. Unfortunately, the perspex makes taking good photos difficult, but the view is excellent.Written 22 August 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- So interesting and such gorgeous opals. The jewelry is quite unique too.
Steff gave us an amazing guided tour.Written 8 December 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Was very impressed with this free museum. The Lego Jurassic World exhibit was under construction during our visit and will require a ticket to access, but the rest of the museum was open to the public. Current exhibits involved insects, dinosaurs and a collection of Australian animals & objects. A cafe is present but is quite pricey and had a small menu. No water fountains are present unless you want to fill up from the taps in the toilets. Worth checking out if you need to fill in a few hours or want to escape the heat.Written 28 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Visited on a hot, very humid November day with friends from Brisbane. Very pleased to get free admission for myself and my mate…he was retired Australian Army…sorry for his lovely wife…no such discount. Compared this smaller maritime museum with the Western Australia Maritime Museum in Fremantle and the Newport News Mariner’s Museum…much smaller, but more intimate look at the history of immigration and the dangers of the sea. Nice WW2 exhibit downstairs of the US involvement in Brisbane. Toured the frigate outside and saw the tiny, pink round the world sailboat. All in all, a fun, knowledgeable visit! Very, very friendly answer knowledgeable docents!Written 27 November 2023
- Didn't come here to see the house but lovely outside and surrounds within the park. Free parking available when visiting. Pleasantly surprised by the themed children's park.Written 3 December 2020
- The Tramway Museum is well worth a visit. The ticket includes riding all the trams that are running that afternoon. The volunteer staff have a lot of interesting information and stories to tell about the history of the tram service and different trams. Although it was a very hot day, there was a lovely breeze through the carriages. Our four grandchildren (ages between 4 and 10) really enjoyed themselves, especially the rides.Written 12 February 2023
- Worth it given the proximity to other attractions such as the Botanic gardens and near the bridge to the south bank. It is free to look through and the building itself is quaint and historic. There is a Robinson art exhibition upstairs currentlyWritten 4 January 2021
- This museum is a great little free museum that is packed full of easy to read information and history. Lots of exhibits. The museum is very quiet so you can wander around at your own pace. It is hidden away in the Roma St Police station. However there is signs for it when you enter. Heaps of public transport close by including the Roma St Train Station and Bus StopWritten 2 June 2021
- This historic house is a short 30min bus ride from Brisbane CBD and is a great example of a character Queenslander house that has been owned and maintained by a volunteer women’s group for many years. The house and it’s furniture represent a treasure trove of interesting antiques and historic objects. The volunteer staff are very helpful and knowledgeable. Expect to spend an hour or so here. Perhaps longer if you partake in the cream teas.Written 5 November 2019
- open on sundays and tucked away in fortitude valley is this amazing military museum that honors the service of queenslandersWritten 3 December 2017
- Although on a small footprint, in the absence of atriums, gift shops and cafes, every square inch is devoted to the title of the museum. We have been to a number of motor museums and yet we learned fascinating new facts about the history of racing cars and bikes. The volunteers are passionate about the history of the displays and are happy to tell you as much as you'd like to know. My 15 year old son and I both enjoyed our visit. We'll be recommending this museum to our friends.Written 17 August 2018
- Very interesting small museum that has hands on working displays of a lot of Telecommunications equipment dating back to the late 19th century. Very knowledgeable friendly guides.Written 19 September 2019
- This museum is a great place to visit. It was so heartwarming to see this great collection of motoring history from veteran to vintage and classics. Hi tech conference room is a marvellous place to have club meetings. Gift shop is filled with high quality merchandise. Plenty of delicious food & beverages at the restaurant. Ample parking, friendly staff any visitor must visit this museum.Written 29 July 2023
- Our tour was highly interesting and well conducted, being able to see the complete history of telecommunications was great.Written 31 March 2018
- Incredible natural in our world, this view is in our region, we call air putih yang berdekatan kolamWritten 1 March 2021
Frequently Asked Questions about Brisbane
- These are the best places for groups seeking speciality museums in Brisbane:See more speciality museums for groups in Brisbane on Tripadvisor