26 places sorted by traveller favourites
- Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
We perform checks on reviews.
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Admission tickets from AU$30
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- This museum has many interesting exhibits on Darwin's natural and human history. I enjoyed the megafauna and the Cyclone Tracy exhibits. The highlight for me had to be the Aboriginal art. Two of the galleries featured winners of the National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Art Awards. One gallery focused on this year's winners while another featured past winners. I was impressed by the diversity and quality of the artworks. You can spend several hours here.Written 1 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- What an interesting and fascinating museum. We learnt so much and were both very impressed with Renee who showed us around. She was so friendly and helpful.. . Would thoroughly recommend this place to all travellersWritten 31 October 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The Darwin Aviation Museum is adjacent to Darwin Airport, but on the other side. A local bus stops in front of the museum. Its prize exhibit is the only Boeing B-52 Stratofortress on display in the Southern Hemisphere. It was built in 1959 and gifted by the U.S. government to the people of Darwin in 1990. They had to build a special hangar to accommodate this huge aircraft. I spent two hours at this museum enjoying their many exhibits.Written 1 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I felt there should have been more history imparted. Interesting displays but would have liked more facts and back story. The video portions were really well done.Written 18 July 2023
- Wonderful large collection of military artefacts in particular WW2 and the effects on Darwin of a series of bombings. Entry includes a video version. Half of collection is indoors with a further selection in particular vehicles outside. Small onsite cafe and souvenirs. Stop on hop on hop off bus and tickets can be purchased on the bus. Definitely worth a visit whether it be learning about Darwin or an interest in military or experiences of warWritten 23 September 2023
- It was a step back in time to see this FANTASTIC collection of Vintage equipment and Cars. Many thanks to all the volunteers who keep it all safe clean.Written 5 October 2023
- An interesting collection highlighting the forgotten contribution that the Chinese made with the development of Darwin and the NT.Written 15 July 2023
- Visited on Tuesday 2nd May. Made a point of stopping to see Burnett House, it part of the heritage area in Darwin, on display are 4 houses which survived the Bombing of Darwin and Cyclone Tracy.Written 16 June 2023
- I easily could have spent a small fortune here, so many gorgeous arts and crafts. The talent of the artists is incredible. The staff were super knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. Great care to help us package our large purchase so we could take it home with us on the plane. Also appreciated receiving printed info about the artist. Will definitely be purchasing from the online store tooWritten 4 June 2023
- A wonderful collection of art something for everyone. Very knowledgeable and helpful, we came away with a woven pandanus mat. Lots of different styles and areas represented so glad we dropped in.Written 9 March 2022
- Matt was absolute professional. Made the whole process so easy. Acquired 2 beautiful works. No hesitation in recommending him to anyone interested in purchasing exceptional and ethically sourced artworksWritten 13 November 2020
- We stopped here by accident and ended up buying quite a few things! A very fine gallery and shop for aboriginal art. Sorry we won't be back in Darwin anytime soon to do some more chopping!Written 3 August 2023
- Food here was fantastic. All local Australian flavours. Food took a little while to come out but was tasty when it arrived. Poached eggs were a little over cooked but the flavours in the avocado bruschetta more than made up for it.Written 3 May 2023
- Having seen this gallery mentioned on Facebook I felt had to come and see for myself
Every piece of work I wanted
Better yet it feels relaxed and no pressure to buy.
Loved the fact that artists paint both on and off site and come and go to suit themselves
It added authenticity to me to see the artists at work and I was also lucky enough to see an artist bring a piece of work in.
If you’re in Darwin it’s easy to find and close to the city centre.
Travelling on a budget, the prices were better than expected.Written 13 June 2023
- We were staying nearby so dropped in for a look. Some very impressive artists. Paul was very helpful and emailed us a catalogue after we had to return to Brisbane. Will be going back next time we're in town. Thanks Paul.Written 26 July 2017
Frequently Asked Questions about Darwin
- These are the best places for couples seeking museums in Darwin:
- RFDS Darwin Tourist Facility
- Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory
- Defence of Darwin Experience