72 places sorted by traveller favourites
- Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
We perform checks on reviews.
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- Lovely gallery. Hard to choose a print but I fell in love with Lily the Koalo so I adopted her and brought her back to the UK.
Graham spent a lot of time with us explaining his work and the hidden words.
Well worth a visit to the Rocks to visit this amazing gallery.Written 28 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Situated in the back streets of Surry Hills, this gallery is worth finding. It is only opened Thursday-Sunday and closes at 4pm. The top floor is Brett’s last studio and they have left everything as if he could walk in at any minute. It is an amazing way to see a snippet into his life and to see who he actually knew. Downstairs is a number of Brett’s artwork and to see them up close is special. The best thing is it is totally free. If you like your art and want to check out one of Australia’s best artists do find time to visit.Written 13 April 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- On Lamrock Ave, Bondi is a very pleasing aboriginal art gallery, the Cooee. The name is witty, since inviting the visitors to Dharug language, that the original inhabitants used. When I “heard” the call, I thought it is a must to go and see. In advance, I looked up for several other aboriginal art collections, and all of them were delightful, and a bit different than the other ones. It is obvious, that the items displayed in the gallery were chosen with great care and love. A fabulous arrangement of different artefacts of the aboriginal life. The exhibition is on two levels, and if I looking for some faults, I can find only one. Everything on display is too tempting, and your heart is bleeding since you can’t take everything with you.Written 30 November 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Wonderful to see such a historic building with a magnificent setting - on the approach to the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Most interesting to see the showing of Annie Wyatt's daughter's artworks in the smaller gallery.
Eclectic gathering of paintings, art works and ceramics on display in the major gallery.
Cafe is also a welcoming place.
Most interesting interlude.
Walked from Wynyard.Written 1 December 2019
- Max’s witty take on life made us laugh - his imaginative, witty prints, cards and ceramics make unique reminders of a stay in SydneyWritten 2 November 2023
- Smaller than other malls like say Westfields, although that means you can't get lost. Doesn't have the big brands but it still has a lot of basics like a supermarket and many retail outlets. A big food court which would satisfy anyone for daytime snacks or lunch.
The big plus for me is the art-house cinema.Written 29 October 2019
- Discovered it by accident, while walking along "The Rocks." The lady curator was lovely and helpful. The paintings are masterpieces. I don't know how to interpret some of Billich's works but these are amazing art pieces. I appreciate them all. Just have a keen eye when you are in the Rocks area.Written 5 October 2022
- My favourite part of visiting this art gallery is the high standard of the many artists' work. It is always displayed in a professional and appropriate manner so that viewing is enhanced. The situation is also impressive and lends itself to showcasing quality work.Written 4 February 2023
- Thank you so much to the wonderful ladies here who were very helpful! Great to see some old school customer service with a smile and good conversation.Written 19 September 2018
- I can only agree with the other reviews on this site. What a surprise to see such a variety of Australian painting and sculpture beautifully displayed in an historic sandstone building right in the heart of the CBD. Chris wasn't there the day we visited but Linda was so warm and welcoming, with none of the stand-offish or superior manner so often seen in private gallery staff. She knew we weren't buying but couldn't have been kinder, even opening up some of the atrium galleries for us to view. As some of the other reviews have said, it is well worth going in for a look, after all it is free, and you'll have the bonus of a pleasant conversation with knowledgeable staff and get to check out a great building into the bargain.
For the serious collector, there are thousands of paintings in varying styles and a huge range of sculpture to tempt you.Written 12 January 2014
- Lovely gallery in paddington which is worth having a look and is it free. Photographic exhibition on ground floor and teaching / support service on the above floors.Written 8 July 2015
- I have some of Marks work in my restaurant and it always turns heads. It is a talking point of all my customers.His sydney scenes are simply amazing. Wheather you are looking for home or the office im sure you will find more than one at marks gallerys.
Thanks MarkWritten 15 July 2019
- Great Custom Framing, Mirrors and shadow boxes! The customer service is amazing and they know how to please the customer. Thank youWritten 28 October 2016
- Great art gallery, something different which I never saw before. It's free for entry and you can sit down and rest in the beautiful patio.Written 27 February 2019
- A great space and good turnover of artists and exhibitions. Good to be able to speak to the makers as they are usually present at the gallery.Written 2 July 2019
Frequently Asked Questions about Sydney
- These are the best places for budget-friendly art galleries in Sydney:See more budget-friendly art galleries in Sydney on Tripadvisor