Popular things to do
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- The war memorial is an absolute must on your visit to Canberra. Whilst it is undergoing large renovations, there is still so much to see. I would highly recommend a visit (and pack the tissues).Written 19 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- modern and simple design. Elegant and cool. There are many tourists here. A great spot for photos with your friend and family.Written 19 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- It’s a nice place to visit with family but probably they need to review their policies regarding entry time. We entered at 3 pm and centre close by 5 pm . Staff refused our request to enter next day with same ticket. My child was just 7 years and it was hard for him to finish in 2 hours. I think ideally either they should not allow entry or else accept the same ticket .Written 2 December 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I recently bought a Wonders of Wildlife tour for my wife which gave her an entire day behind the scenes at the National Zoo & Aquarium. It was a truly wonderful experience as she went behind the scenes to see how the Zoo operates and view at close range the behaviour of so many animals. She was able to feed many of them and learn about their habits and history. She learned about the many efforts the National Zoo & Aquarium is making to not only provide an active and healthy environment for the animals but their involvement in animal conservation programs around the world.
We highly recommend the Zoo and this tour for anyone.Written 3 December 2023
- This stunning building displays both indigenous Australian art and international artwork in the same spot. You won't find any works by Dutch masters here, but there is a current exhibition that features Picasso and Matisse (for an additional fee).Written 29 October 2023
- Rode up to the peak, stayed for about one hour. Magnificent view of Canberra, I recommend going up for a great view, or even a picnic.Written 25 November 2023
- Lake Burley Griffin is a beautiful, man-made lake and the centrepiece of Canberra. One of the best outdoor things to do in Canberra is to walk around the lake, or at least a section of it.
The 20 km looped walking track is a wide, flat and paved path that follows the shoreline.
Along the way you pass many of Canberra’s landmark buildings like the Parliament, the National Library and National Museum as well as several statues and many memorials. The Capt James Cook Memorial fountain is a main feature, with a single jet of water that shoots up to 150 metres high, at a force of 260kms per hour.
We only had time to do a short walk, and the part that runs alongside the Sculpture Gardens is a lovely stretch.
The highlight is the replica of Antony Gormley's, Angel of the North. This industrial looking angel, stands, with wings spread wide, against the backdrop of the lake. The statue struck us as being vaguely familiar and we realised later that the original (and much much larger) ‘Angel of the North’ is located in Gateshead, UK.
Another highlight was Clement Meadmore’s, Virginia, a massive, weathered steel structure. Again, its the backdrop of the lake which is the real star here.
If you have time to do the whole walk, then there is a good guide on the official website for the National Capital Authority (NCA). You can find it under ‘Lake Burley Griffin Self-Guided Walking Tour’.Written 30 April 2023
- This Old Parliament House Constitution Museum is Australia's only museum of political history. It was built in stages between 1843 and 1875, Adelaide's Old Parliament House is of major historical significance both at the state and national levelWritten 27 September 2023
- Fabulous, fabulous collection of Archibald Prize entrants. They’re not all winners but you can’t help thinking many that weren’t, should have been.
I’ve always found Archibald pieces either loveable at first sight or detestable - with very little in between. This collection has a fine balance of both.
The exhibit is arranged thematically. Not sure if that put pressure on wall space as a few pieces were poorly lit. Hopefully somebody pointed that out to them.Written 30 October 2023
- Ohh wow, we really didn't expect the museum to be so big. There is a parking however you have to pay to park. There are spaces dedicated to long veihcules. We only paid for an hour. That was before seeing the size of the museum. You definetly need more than an hour to visit. At least 2 hours. Also good for kids.Written 7 May 2023
- What a great little visit. Our tour guide Hannah was very knowledgeable and led our tour really well. It is only a little experience maybe an hour or an hour and a half but we enjoyed learning of the history of the currency and seeing all the different coins. Was a shame that they were not printing any when we were there but no a major disappointment. My little one enjoyed completing he scavenger hunt booklet and pressing his own dollar coin.Written 10 August 2023
- We had a great time visiting the Aboretum. The playground was super fun for the primary aged kids. The views are sensational. We enjoyed a tour of the site hearing the stories and understanding the beauty and planning that is happening was great. Recommend taking a picnic (or purchasing from cafe) as there is so many beautiful areas to sit and enjoy.Written 6 October 2023
- Great place for those seeking wildlife and hiking. Lots of kangaroos and the koalas in the Eucalyptus Forest were very cool. This is a hidden gem for those visiting Canberra. If you come on business it is worth spending a day here.Written 16 September 2023
- Nice place for family and kids. Good place for a family portrait. Too bad the mini train was on a repair. Recommended for familyWritten 19 November 2023
- Even if you're not particularly into plants/gardens, you should visit The National Arboretum and see The National Bonsai and Penjing Collection.
It's probably the most comprehensive display of this beautiful art anywhere in Australia.Written 28 September 2023
Frequently Asked Questions about Canberra
- The best day trips from Canberra according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Canberra Day Trip from Sydney
- Canberra Floriade Tour
- Half-Day Canberra Winery Tour to Murrumbateman /w lunch
- Canberra Wine Tour
- Full-Day Canberra Winery Tour to Murrumbateman /w lunch
Canberra Attractions Information
|Tuesday 9:28 am|