Historic Sites • Ancient Ruins
Popular things to do
- Bus Tours
- Archaeology Tours
- Ancient Ruins
- Day Trips
- Half-day Tours
- Historic Sites
- City Tours
- Full-day Tours
- Speciality Museums
- Self-guided Tours
- Skip the line Tickets
- Monuments & Statues
- Photography Tours
- Audio Guides
- Airport & Hotel Transfers
- Top Picks
- Churches & Cathedrals
- Likely to Sell Out
- Special Offers
- Art Museums
- Viator Exclusive Tours
- Art Galleries
- Sacred & Religious Sites
Top Attractions in Athens
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- Literally amazing and your trip to Athens would be wasted without a visit. Get there very early as it’s gets busy and very hot.Written 7 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Amazing building with great views of the acropolis, interesting displays and some beautiful artifacts. Tickets for this and the acropolis are expensive but a must do when in athens. Go early if possible.Written 7 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Very interesting but a lot of other people up there
A little bit hard to enjoy it like that. Better to get there really early and avoid the crowds and the heat.Written 7 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The museum itself was beautiful and big, it showed many cool things like Mycenaean stuff and more cool stuff. Well it was quite expensive but worth it. The only problem was the “art” in one the rooms was just some 2000’s crap.Written 2 August 2022
- We found the Plaka area nice with lovely out door restaurants . The ones along little cobbled windy paths a little more expensive but the food nice.Written 7 August 2022
- Amazing views, awesome options of food and bars up the top and along the way, there are many meandering paths up the hill from the city. The view along the way, and at the top is fabulous.
The church at the top is nice to visit too.
Make sure to take water with you, it can be hot walking up!
A perfect thing to do when you first arrive to get a good overview of the city.Written 26 July 2022
- A must stop if you have time. So much history took place here. Make sure you enter the tunnel and go to the Musuem! It has all the posters and torches displayed thereWritten 8 August 2022
- Whilst approaching the Acropolis itself high on the hill we came across Herod Atticus Odeon. What a sight to behold it was as well.so well constructed back in the times when it was pure strength and ropes. Wonderous creation and looking as though it’s being methodically restored. Great attraction and one to be seen when in Athens.Written 1 August 2022
- We paid our visit to the Historical Ancient Agora of Athens and what a superb piece of history is is. Key to the original Athens that was quite small in comparison to todays Athens but great that the historical areas are being cared for and slowly renovated to continue in the future. Well worth a visit and whilst doing so have a stop and realise just how amazing the construction is when you think there was just man and ropes to carry out the work.Written 1 August 2022
- A hike around this archeological park on a hill, opposite of the Acropolis, is really worth it !
Great archeological sites and stunning views on the Acropolis on one side and on the see from the other one !Written 20 July 2022
- The Temple of Hephaestus sat within the Ancient Agora is yet another fine example of Greek History. Well cared for and restored slowly this Temple is well worth adding to your Historical Tour of Athens. Whilst there take a moment to wonder in amazement at how they managed to construct such a fine thing all those years ago.Written 1 August 2022
- You will find yourself immersed in a Greek island village, even if just below the Acropolis, while visiting this little gem of a neighborhood.Written 20 July 2022
- A well laid out museum with an eclectic mix of items.
As the title indicates we were amazed by some of the jewellery, how did craftsmen over 2000 years ago produce these items. Some of the signet rings alone look like something you would see in a modern jewellery shop window. Jewellery making doesn’t appear to have moved on that significantly!
We really enjoyed the diversity of this museum and although the Greek costumes didn’t really grab our intention we could still appreciate how worthwhile these were as part of Greek history. Some of the recreations of Greek homes, however, did spark an interest if for nothing else than a real appreciation of the craftsmanship involved.
It was also very apparent when walking around when you stepped from the BC period to the AD period.
We really enjoyed this museum.Written 17 July 2022
- The flea market was not crowded.
Could explore the place at our own pace.
Was abt 10 mins walk from the Ermos shopping area.
Could always stop to get a juice or coffee along the way if you are tiredWritten 15 June 2022
- This a great history lesson and is much less overwhelming than many of the other museums in Athens. It is well curated with lots of simple information about each period and the type of art that you are seeing. Highly recommend! This is where it all started so is good to go first, especially if you will traveling to the Greek islands during your trip.Written 13 June 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Athens
- The best day trips from Athens according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- All Day Cruise -3 Islands to Agistri,Moni, Aegina with lunch and drinks included
- Full-Day Meteora Tour from Athens by Train
- Athens Day Cruise - 3 Islands - Saronic Gulf - With Lunch
- Full Day Private Tour: Essential Athens Highlights plus Cape Sounion and Temple of Poseidon
- Delphi English Day Trip from Athens