Historic Sites • Government Buildings
Popular things to do
- Self-guided Tours
- Cultural Tours
- City Tours
- Top Picks
- Nature & Wildlife Areas
- Day Trips & Excursions
- Cruises, Sailing & Water Tours
- Speciality Museums
- Transfers & Ground Transport
- Likely to Sell Out
- Monuments & Statues
- Luxury & Special Occasions
- Food, Wine & Nightlife
- Points of Interest & Landmarks
- Nature and Wildlife Tours
- Holiday & Seasonal Tours
- Government Buildings
- Multi-day & Extended Tours
- Kayaking Tours
- Museum Tickets & Passes
- Special Offers
- Historic Sites
- Ports of Call Tours
Top Attractions in Ottawa
Military Museums • Points of Interest & Landmarks
Admission tickets from A$24.44
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- My family of children (age 5 and 8), parents and grandparents really enjoyed this tour. We had booked our House of Commons Tour online ahead of time about a month in advance. The ticket said proof of vaccination is required, but no one asked on either tour for it. Masks were required and provided. While I booked the house of commons tour well in advance, I booked the senate tour only 2 days in advance.
We really enjoyed our tour guide for both tours, once you pass the security check in, there is a washroom and waiting area while you wait for your tour. You can only enter the security check 30 mins before your tour.
If you can only choose one, I recommend the house of commons, but the senate was a cool experience too, as it is built inside a former train station.Written 3 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- If you have any interest in Canadian history or military history this is a DONT MISS. Highly recommend. Notes: 1) parking has to be paid. 2) take a lunch and water with you, the canteen is very expensive and the water fountain does not work. 3) give yourself lots of time, we were there for 4 hours and could have used multiple days to truly take it all in.Written 8 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This canal goes between the Parliament buildings and the Chateau Laurier Hotel. Small private pleasure boats go up and down and you can stand on the bridge or along the walkway and watch them traverse.Written 3 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- My friend and I met here for one of our summer bucket list activities (we're exploring museums in Ottawa). We got general tickets. First floor was pretty crowded in the dinosaur exhibit. Second floor got a lot better though (unsure if dinosaur exhibit is just really popular with kids or if we beat the crowd?). The exhibits were really interesting, and had a good mixture of stuff for children and adults. I got to embrace my true nerd side exploring them. We stopped by the gift shop at the end and I got myself a couple rocks and a pin for my collections. A bit expensive, but worth it to support the museum.Written 16 July 2022
- Terrific museum and a pleasant surprise. Not only the architecture is great as the building looks very futuristic, but the collection is very impressive too. Here's a partial list of painters: Cranach, Memling, Bronzino, Tintoretto, Titian, Moroni, Bartolomeo Veneto (a stunning portrait, one of his best). Good collection of the Dutch Golden Age: Lievens, Rembrandt, Hals. Lots of great 19th and 20th century painters, from Turner, to Tissot, to Courbet, French Impressionists, Klimt, Munch, Leger, Popova, Dali. The second floor (European art) are two concentric squares which ma be confusing so you'd rather take the floor map to navigate the European galleries. We spent over 3 hours there and didn't have enough time for the Canadian artists (1st floor) as the museum was closing, but there are a few interesting canvases there too.Written 6 August 2022
- The arrangement means you focus on one period at a time which real absorbed us. Great for a rainy day visit and decent hiking and biking trails right there. 9km from Parliament
Seeing the CF 16 was coolWritten 10 June 2022
- There is a light show that takes place at 10 pm on specific nights. My family attended on a Thursday night. At about 8:30 they set up a count down screen near the eternal flame. People come and set up chairs and blankets on the grass. There is a public washroom to the right of the place tower that stays open until after the light show.
The show is all about Canada's history. It has been well updated to include first nation's history. The show is about 40 minutes. My 8 year old enjoyed it, but my 5 year old fell asleep. Still, a great experience.Written 3 August 2022
- we were greeted by friendly folks and sampled delicious beers, that go down more like cider with strong fruit notes.Written 1 July 2021
- We were happy to have an opportunity to tour the Mint in its beautiful building, as they were closed for so long. Jonathan led us on a very educational and interesting tour of the facilities sharing many interesting facts and stories. We got to see workers in action and see millions of dollars of silver and gold. I also enjoyed the artistry and design of many of the investment coins on display. The whole process, especially the quality assurance, and history involved with making Canadian coins was fascinating. This was a very affordable tour costing only $25 for a family of four.Written 30 June 2022
- Over the last 50 years I have visited many churches both in Europe and North America and Notre Dame Basilica is one of the best.Written 13 June 2022
- Nice location for a bit of a scenic walk and picnic. Easy to find and good access. A Rideau canal is a short walk away and is fun to watch the swing bridge in action.Written 8 August 2022
- The park is lovely and spacious on the sunny days but at the northern tip are the best free washrooms in Ottawa. Great views from the parkWritten 7 June 2022
- Free to enter, inter action as you go. Extremely interesting and informative. Plenty to see and do, great fun to create your own note and able to keep as mementoWritten 24 June 2022
- Small craft brewery that was part of our tour with great beers and very nice people make it well worth a visit if you are in the area.Written 12 October 2019
- This past Saturday was my first ever visit to the Carp Farmers’ Market and it was very enjoyable although the grounds were muddy from an early morning rainstorm. Sure, I have been to the Carp Fair grounds once for the garlic festival and another time for an outdoorsman & fishing show; but there is nothing like shopping for fresh pastries, vegetables and grabbing something to eat while you are enjoying a day’s outing with your wife!
Since she had been there more often and she informs me that a number of vendors had not shown up likely due to the weather. However we were kept busy sampling kimchee, preserved meat and homemade delicacies. There were still scores of concessions both indoor (a sort of barn) and outdoors; displaying their local farm products, home-made pastries, handicrafts and locally raised flowers to keep us occupied. Let’s say that there is something here for everyone!
Like many customers, my wife came for one particularly item that she could only find grown locally here and ended up going home with one or more shopping bags of goodies! A wonder Saturday well spent!Written 8 September 2019
Frequently Asked Questions about Ottawa
- The best day trips from Ottawa according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Ottawa Private Day Tour from Montreal
- Ottawa 1 Day Tour
- Ottawa City & Cruise VIP Day Tour
- Private 8-hour Tour to Ottawa from Montreal - Hotel pick up and drop off
- Montreal: Private 7 Hours Guided Tour to Ottawa