This temple is known for the Golden Mount or Phu Khao Thong, a high hill that offers stunning views at its summit over Rattanakosin Island.
Duration: 1-2 hours
Suggest edits to improve what we show.Improve this listing
Tours & experiences
Explore different ways to experience this place.
What is Travellers’ Choice Best of the Best?
This award is our highest recognition and is presented annually to those businesses that are the Best of the Best on Tripadvisor, those that earn excellent reviews from travellers and are ranked in the top 1% of properties worldwide.
Plan your visit
Neighbourhood: Rattanakosin (Bangkok Old City)
Reach out directly
We rank these restaurants and attractions by balancing reviews from our members with how close they are to this location.
4,831 within 5 kms
Seven Spoons Bar and Restaurant
0.5 km$$ - $$$ • International • Mediterranean • Vegetarian Friendly
604 within 10 kms
Wat Ratchanatdaram Woravihara (Loha Prasat)
0.5 kmPoints of Interest & Landmarks • Religious Sites
See what travellers are saying
- A nice spot in the evening for night shots. It is beautifully illuminated in the evening hoursIf you can reach it go there. It is a bit higher (stairs to walk up!) but offers good view and is beautiful from outside at night. (not sure you can go in at night) - it is near China Town so you could combine the visitVisited December 2022Written 5 January 2023
- A lovely sunset visit.A very pleasant experience and well worth a visit. This was the first visit to a temple in Thailand for my wife and I. Entry cost us B100 each and we spent about just less than 2 hours. There’s a nice spiral staircase leading up to the temple playing Buddhist meditative chants. The scenery leading up to the temple is beautiful and very calming. We visited at sunset so we were also accompanied by the warm golden glow of the sun as a backdrop over the Bangkok skyline. As we reached the top we had a fantastic opportunity to get some lovely pictures and to take in the culture. There were monks carrying out their spiritual practices which was fascinating to watch. There is a toilet on site if needed which is very clean and well maintained.Visited January 2023Travelled as a coupleWritten 28 January 2023
- A very calming, relaxing and tranquil experienceA very calming, relaxing and tranquil experience. I would 100% return to this temple. There are beautiful waterfalls, plants and architecture here. There are a lot of steps but drinks can be bought at the top. At the end, you can add a golden leaf to the tree and write on it, if you wish. The gift shop is really good and inexpensive.Visited February 2023Written 17 February 2023
- Good templeNot the most well known temple, about a 15 minute walk from the nearest mrt station. I think it was 100b for the ticket, walk up the many steps to the top, there is a cafe half way. Inside the top building there is a small staircase up to the roof terrace. Great views all round. On the way down there is the rather strange model dislay of the vultures snacking on the human corpses. Well worth a visit.Visited February 2023Travelled soloWritten 21 February 2023
- Very peaceful and nice clam locationYou can get good city view from high and you will enjoy walking till top of temple. around 344 steps you need to go and view from top is too amazing. very peaceful place and nice clam location. easily reachable by any public transport. Must visit place.Visited November 2022Written 24 February 2023
- Well worth going, particularly at sunset.A short walk from the palace, thru old Bangkok you get to the mount. A circular walk up it to the summit, which also has great views over the town. At night it’s lit up to highlight the gold. Worth going.Visited February 2023Written 4 March 2023
- Nice relaxing and spiritual visitLoved the spiritual feel of this temple on the hill. Very casual, with sarongs for rent fir ladies. Men in shorts ok. Nice views at the top, with drinks and snacks available to buy. The vulture corpse-eating story was a bit of a shock, with a good re-enactment on the way down the stairs.Visited March 2023Travelled with familyWritten 7 April 2023
- Only worth a short visitOnly worth a visit, if you have already seen everything else in Bangkok. The temple is not located on a high mountain, from the skywalk at the king power building you have a much better view over Bangkok. The temple is seen in 30 minutes. Be prepared to wait for a long time for a taxi as the temple is away from the main sights, therefore the taxi driver ask for a high price.Visited March 2023Travelled as a coupleWritten 2 May 2023
- Fantastic 360° Panorama of BangkokAn impressive tourist attraction. The Golden Mount is best viewed when it opens at 7am because you will feel like a VIP as there are no tourists around. The walk to the Golden Mount steps takes you past some lovely gardens. and sculptures. As you begin climbing the 344 steps you are serenaded by the waterfalls. As you step onto the first level you can strike the bells or bang the big drum. Continue up to the next level and say a prayer at the shrine where you will find three rare jade Bhudda statues. Continue up the steps past more bells and arrive at the bell proper on the roof. Take in the 360° panorama of Bangkok. The beel itself is an impressive artwork and a testament to the craftsman's and engineering ingenuity of the Thai people of the past. On your way down, stop and take in the sculptural display of death in times of war. The vultures are eagerly awaiting their feast of the dead. The Golden Mount is definitely worth the climb for the view of Bangkok alone.Visited August 2023Travelled soloWritten 9 August 2023
- Beautiful Golden Temple with Bamyan CaveThis beautiful temple is located on the Saen Saep Canal and next to the Phanfa pier of Bangkok. The temple opens at 8am though the best time for visit is 4 pm till sunset around 6 pm *closing time). As a foreign citizen I had to pay 100 THB per person. My friend and I climbed up the top of this temple to see the 360 degre amazing view of Bangkok. Visitors must not wear shorts and short pants to enter the place. The most amazing thing in this place was there is a cove that has the ruins and Buddha statues of Bamyan (Afghanistan).Visited September 2022Travelled with friendsWritten 31 August 2023
These reviews are the subjective opinion of Tripadvisor members and not of TripAdvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
Detailed Reviews: Reviews order informed by descriptiveness of user-identified themes such as cleanliness, atmosphere, general tips and location information.
We perform checks on reviews.
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Dec. 2023 • Friends
The really worth place for visiting to see the view of the city. You can relax by watching the view. Moreover, you can see the culture of the place.
Written 9 December 2023
Nov. 2023 • Couples
Worth a stop if you've got more than a couple of days in Bangkok. A small temple at the top of some steps, with great 360 views all around the city, particularly at sunset. Only takes about 30 mins and the steps aren't too bad, certainly doable by all ages.
Written 3 December 2023
Nov. 2023 • Friends
It is a worth place to see the view of the city with a small cash. Only 100 thb for the visiting. It is also not a crowded place.
Written 17 November 2023
Nov. 2023 • Couples
Note it’s 100 baht pp, cash only (not 50 as Google says). Still worth it, as not very crowded and there are decent views of the city from the top. The vulture sculptures you can see as you head down from the top is trippy and worth seeing as well.
Written 9 November 2023
Sep. 2023 • Solo
This is a good walk uphill but its worth it. The views are great but also the temple is beautifully built. The idols are mesmerizingly beautiful.
Written 29 October 2023
Oct. 2023 • Couples
The temple so Good specially different as on view side It's was so Good at evening time
so good vibe and great views as well as its on top
You should go between 4 pm to 5pm
so good vibe and great views as well as its on top
You should go between 4 pm to 5pm
Written 25 October 2023
Oct. 2023 • Business
They have doubled the entry fee for tourists to 100 baht. I only had 96 baht cash on me but they would not accept it and turned me away rudely. Not sure when they changed the price as reviews from earlier this month said it was still 50 baht
Written 25 October 2023
Oct. 2023 • Friends
It is very worth place to go and see the view of the Bangkok city. The entrance fee is only 50thb. The beautiful temple located on the top of the mountain.
Written 24 October 2023
Nov. 2022 • Friends
Its a temple on top of a hill so when you arrive at the top you can see the view of Bangkok city. The entrance fee is only around 50 baths so it is really worthy
Written 30 September 2023
Sep. 2023 • Friends
The golden mount is one of the tourists attractive place. The fee is only 50 thb. The view on the mountain is very nice.
Written 27 September 2023
Showing results 1-10 of 2,668
It will be open on February 9, 2020 (Makha Bucha)?
I would say yes, we were there in February 2019, it's a lovely special place. From the top you can see other places you will find amazing to visit too. Enjoy : )
I plan to visiting wat saket with my parents. Is there an elevator there because both my parents have difficulty walking. Thank you
I think there is but you have to ask at the ticket office as I think there is a special entrance
There seems to be mixed info on price - is it free or 50baht?
The 50 baht ticket is for the complete Golden Mount experience. The money goes towards rebuilding the mount foundations and other maintenance. The ticket is valid all day so you can go back in the evening. Depending on your time availability allow 2/3 hours to thoroughy explore and absorb the atmosphere. From the summit you can take in the original old city. Personally I found it most memorable and wish I had visited previously.
How easy is it to get to? We are staying at The Rembrandt I. June and this is one place I would like to see. Last year we did the Temples and Grand Palace. Thank in advance
Taxi is the easy way, but I went on a Klong boat, you can walk to Asok as mentioned or get the MRT to National Stadium and then it is only a 300m or so walk to the Hua Chang boat stop at Chaloemla 56 bridge. The stop is on the Stadium side.
How can you visit The Golden Mount (Wat Saket) at sunset if it closes at 5pm? Or are the outside grounds open later? If so, when does the outside close?
Wat Saket is open daily from 8:00 AM until 7:00 PM. This opening time was printed on the ticket.
I've been to Golden Mount but didn't pay much attention to what was at ground level. Going back later this month, will have a family member who won't be fit to climb stairs. Is there a cafe or similar at the ground level where she can stay while we go up?
Hi Iain, ground level has nice seats with cooling steam. Cant remember if there was cafe.
Hello! Could anybody tell me what is the closing time of Wat Saket? There is so much conflicting info around, and a precise answer would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance for your help, Martina
Frankly said, I don't know exactly. I suppose 5pm. Enjoy!
Hi I’m kenny how can I get to wat saket from siam bats.thank for advices
You can use all kinds of transport s.a. TukTuk, public bus (funny!) or by motor cycle. There is also a nice walk along the canal Rob Krung. You will encounter many salesman. Just about everything in Bangkok can be reached by TukTuk, just negotiate a good price in advance. Have fun!
The Golden Mount (Wat Saket), Bangkok
Frequently Asked Questions about The Golden Mount (Wat Saket)
- Attractions near The Golden Mount (Wat Saket):
- (0.51 km) GoSnoop
- (0.52 km) Wat Ratchanatdaram Woravihara (Loha Prasat)
- (0.68 km) Rajadamnern Muay Thai Stadium (official)
- (0.62 km) Rajadamnern Thai Boxing Stadium
- (0.36 km) King Prajadhipok Museum