View all photos (150)
Likely To Sell Out
Select Date and Travellers
Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
Reserve Now & Pay Later
Low Price Guarantee
Meteora’s monasteries are best experienced near dusk, when the daytime crowds dissolve and the sun bathes everything in gold. On this small-group tour from Kalambaka or Kastraki, you visit a monastery, plus the tucked-away Badovas caves and a hidden spot for panoramic views as the sun goes down. Learn about Meteora’s history from your guide, enjoy plenty of time for questions, and avoid hassle with convenient hotel pickup and drop-off.
You'll get picked upSee Important Information for details
- 1MeteoraStop: 2 hours -See details
- 2Agios StefanosStop: 30 minutes - Admission excludedSee details
See Important Information for details
- Avoid Meteora's daytime crowds on a sunset tour from Kalambaka or Kastraki
- Visit a monastery, church, caves, and a viewpoint often missed by tourists
- Explore with a guide to learn about the area’s history and past residents
- Group limited to nine for a calmer, more enriching experience
What to Expect
After hotel pickup in Kalambaka or Kastraki, journey by air-conditioned minivan to UNESCO-listed Meteora. It can be busy during the day, but your late-afternoon trip to the sight means you’ll avoid the main crowds. Once home to more than 20 monasteries, Meteora now features six of them, each perched on a sandstone pinnacle. Take a guided tour of one of the monasteries, learning about the people who once resided there, and then continue to some of Meteora’s “hermitage” caves, burrowed into high cliffs near the little-known St. Nicolas Badovas Monastery. Tour the caves as you learn how they were used by hermits and monks, and afterward, visit a Byzantine church. Lastly, visit a secret viewpoint to see stunning sunset panoramas over Meteora, watching as the sun bathes the rocks in ethereal gold. Your tour finishes at the original departure point.
Meteora, Meteora, Trikala Region, Thessaly
- Hotel pickup and drop-off to/from Kalambaka or Kastraki
- Visit the Byzantine Church of Virgin Marry.
- Visit the hermit caves and the hidden monasteries.
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Local English speaking tour leader
- Bottled water
- Small size groups.
- Great Photo oportunities
- Avoid the crowds
- Entrance fees (approx. 5 euros)
- Food and drinks
- Entry/Admission - Byzantine Church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary
- Entry/Admission - Agios Stefanos
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Saint Steven Monastery is closed on Mondays. Due to this fact, on this day of the week Rousanou Monastery will be visited
- The monasteries have a strict dress code: men must wear trousers and long sleeves, women must wear a long skirt. If you do turn up in shorts, trousers and skirts will be provided.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Infant seats available
- Most travellers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s cancelled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travellers. If it’s cancelled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 18 travellers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
About the operator
By: Visit Meteora Travel
Great scenery, flexible tour, and friendly, knowledgeable guides
Meteora Travel provided great service and the tours were flexible. I took two tours, and they were both fantastic.…
Palo Alto, California10
Meteora is absolutely stunning even in cold December!
We did the 3-day, 2-night rail tour of Meteora and Delphi. Other than some confusion finding the right train and…
This tour was great-- everything was handled professionally and warmly. Maria was a knowledgeable and friendly…
Excellent day trip!
Amazing day! Breathtaking views! Great history! Great tour guide! Thank you for a day to remember! Absolutely…
United Arab Emirates43
Terrific & Majestic!
Just a wonderful experience from Dimitris & his team... The luxury bus was safe, clean, water & wifi provided. It…
This tour was excellent!
This was a great experience. Their office was incredibly helpful while I booked this tour, giving me…
It was amazing experience, we enjoyed every single second spent here in Meteora. The guide Eva and driver Sotos…
We had a wonderful time! We did the hiking tour and the rock scramble up the Great Saint. Our guides for both…
Morning in Mountaintop Monasteries and Retreats
As a mid-winter tour this was small-group, unhurried, thoroughly informative and responsive to the group's…
Rocky Mount, Virginia123
Great trip!! Amazing scenery and excellent tour guide!!
The directions for getting the train from Athens were perfect. Lovely scenery along the way and then the tour…
- Duration: 4h
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Instant Confirmation
- Hotel Pickup
- Languages Offered: English
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Reserve Now & Pay Later
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:+1 855 275 5071