Select Date and Travellers
Reserve Now & Pay Later
Low Price Guarantee
Journey back to the queer '60s with someone who experienced it all first hand. Writer, storyteller and queer legend Jay Toole leads folks on a walking tour of the West Village, sharing personal stories and stopping at important places and historical moments along the way. Learn more about the neighborhood through stories about historic lesbian bars, the Women’s House of D (Detention), homelessness in Washington Square Park, the mafia's connection to local gay bars and much more. Themes Covered: Prison, Homelessness, Queer Bars & Queer Bar History, Police Harassment, The Three-Piece Rule Sites Covered: Washington Square, “House of D”, Stonewall Inn, 8th Street, Christopher Street, West Side Piers
- You'll start at20 Washington Square N20 Washington Square N, New York, NY 10012, USAWe will meet directly underneath the Washington Arch at Washington Square Park. Your tour guide, Jay Toole, will be wearing a "Super Butch" hat. Please aim to arrive ten minutes early. If you have trouble finding her you can text Jay at by checking the contact information on your voucher/ticket.See address & details
- 1The Stonewall InnStop: 20 minutesHistoric site of stonewall riots.Read more
- You'll end atPier 45 at Hudson River ParkHudson River Greenway, New York, NY 10014, USASee address & details
20 Washington Square N, New York, NY 10012, USA
Pier 45 at Hudson River Park, Hudson River Greenway, New York, NY 10014, USA
- Tour guide
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travellers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travellers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travellers. If it’s cancelled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 24 travellers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Write a review
What was your experience like?
Share your best travel photo
Let the world see your experience through your eyes.
Get quick answers
Ask fellow travellers and attraction managers your top questions.
About the operator
This tour has not yet been reviewed, but you can read what other travellers have to say about this operator.
By: Social Justice Tours
These people are so knowledgable that it's inspiring! Great topics talked on the way where they take place.
Unburying women's history in downtown Manhattan
Cindy can make a building come alive. She digs up the history of the age-old (as she demonstrates) fight for reprod…
Informative + empowering
We really enjoyed this tour with Cindy Cooper on reproductive justice. It was our first time visiting New York, so …
Well-Informed Tour Guide
Cindy Cooper is a lawyer by training and a long-time New Yorker who's clearly passionate and well-informed about th…
So Relevant and Covered so much Ground!
I took the Reproductive Freedom Tour today with Cindy Cooper, and I highly recommend it! She knows her stuff! I lea…
Good but not what I expected
The tour discussed riots from the early 1800s until late 1900s. It was a bit unclear for me if there was a theme in…
As real as it gets!
The walking tour of the Queer history in The Village was amazing. Jay Toole, who is certainly a queer legend, reliv…
Exceptional Tour: Queer History of the Village
This was an exceptional, irreplaceable experience: to hear the history of LGBTQ life in the Village from the amazin…
Awesome Social Justice Tour: Reproductive Freedom Walking Tour in Lower Manhattan
What a great tour!! Thank you for this informative tour of Reproductive Freedom in Lower Manhattan. While this will…
- Duration: 3h
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Instant Confirmation
- Languages Offered: English
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Reserve Now & Pay Later
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:0061 (87) 2285 255
Popular: Booked by 13,363 travellers!
Frequently Asked Questions about Queer History of the Village tour
What time does Queer History of the Village tour start?
Queer History of the Village tour will start at 2:00 PM. Discover and book Queer History of the Village tour on Tripadvisor
How much is Queer History of the Village tour?
Queer History of the Village tour price starts from AU$21.88. Discover and book Queer History of the Village tour on Tripadvisor
What is the Queer History of the Village tour cancellation policy?
Queer History of the Village tour cancellation policy: For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Discover and book Queer History of the Village tour on Tripadvisor
Which company provides Queer History of the Village tour?
Queer History of the Village tour is hosted by Social Justice Tours. Read reviews, discover additonal experiences or contact Social Justice Tours on Tripadvisor. Discover and book Queer History of the Village tour on Tripadvisor