This product is unavailable to book via Tripadvisor. Contact the supplier for availability.
Reserve Now & Pay Later
Low Price Guarantee
- You'll start atGion Police Box551 Gionmachi Minamigawa, Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto, 605-0074, JapanYou meet your guide by the police station located under the covered arcade across the street from the Yasaka Shrine in Gion. The station is located on the corner of Shijo-dori and Higashi-Oji-dori.See address & details
- Pass byYasaka ShrineKiyomizu-dera TempleKennin-ji TempleGion
- You'll end atGion Police Box551 Gionmachi Minamigawa, Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto, 605-0074, JapanYou meet your guide by the police station located under the covered arcade across the street from the Yasaka Shrine in Gion. The station is located on the corner of Shijo-dori and Higashi-Oji-dori.See address & details
Gion Police Box, 551 Gionmachi Minamigawa, Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto, 605-0074, Japan
Returns to original departure point
- Small Group Guided Tour
- Expert Guide
- Admission Fees (approx JPY800)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children 12 and younger are not permitted on group tours and require private tour bookings
- Please send supplier of tour the ages of all participants at time of booking
- Tour operates rain or shine
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Travellers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Check-in is 15 minutes prior to tour start time
- Please note that you may be asked to remove your footwear at some temples
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travellers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Time of year
Read 13 more reviews on Viator
Having lived in Japan for more than thirty years, John from St. Louis led our tour and provided fascinating information about the two religions all along the way. Well recommended.
Date of experience: October 2019
Our tour guide, Elizabeth, was a retired Shinto/Buddhist professor, who was very knowledgeable. Definitely added a lot to a tour of the temples we visited to learn more details than what you can find in a guide book.
Date of experience: July 2019
Our group of five really enjoyed this tour! Our guide, Daniel, was extremely knowledgeable about Japan and the religious sites. The areas that we visited were well chosen and Daniel provided valuable context that we would have never gotten visiting the sites solo. I booked this…
Date of experience: October 2018
We didn't have much luck with the tours we took in Japan and the Context Tour was another disappointment. Our guide was great, but I think the choice of temples wasn't really good. It doesn't help visiting a super busy temple and walking through crowds and trying to navigate…
Date of experience: April 2018
About the operator
Don’t take it from us – here’s what people have to say about this operator.
By: Context Travel Kyoto
Marcin led a small group of us down the backstreets of Gion at dusk. Our guide shared fascinating insights in both …
Best tour of our trip!
Ever since I read Memoirs of a Geisha, I have been somewhat fascinated with Geisha's. So I really found this tour …
This was my first experience of Context Tours and I will definitely use them again. I was particularly lucky to ha…
Gion at Night - Brilliant by Context
We have used Context in a number of countries and we find the knowledge of their guides the very best. So to Gion …
Tried wonderful new foods!
The tour started with an overview from our guide, Kana, and then we started! What an amazing variety of food. Kan…
Navigating the Nishiki Market
During our first trip to Japan, my husband and I took the Nishiki Market tour with Robin. This was a great way to l…
Excellent docents for all our private tours in Kyoto!
Private Kyoto Garden and Temple Tours: Docent Gavin Campbell We spent a whole day with Gavin Campbell, our private …
My husband and I spent a fascinating day with Preston. We were expecting a garden tour with Gavin but Preston showe…
Great tour of food market
Marc led my family through the Nishiki Market and introduced us to all the unique and tasty foods of Kyoto and Japa…
Knowledgeable and fun tour guide with great food
This was an excellent experience. Having someone who is familiar with the market lead us through and teach/recomme…
Keeping it all in context.
My small group of adventurous travelers wanted to learn more about the cultural history of what makes Kyoto so uniq…
I pretty interesting place to visit. We had read online it opens at 9am, however it was only the seafood and produc…
Informative and stimulating
We thoroughly enjoyed our tour, hearing from Marc about Japanese gardens and way of life. We did three Context tou…
Outstanding tour of the market plus so much more thanks to our guide - Marc!!!
We really enjoyed our Nishiki Tour with Marc. He was extremely informative, engaging and very personable. We were…
Fascinating and Illuminating
We spent a wonderful few hours with Judith. Her passion for Japan and in particular the food of Kyoto shone through…
- Duration: 3h
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Instant Confirmation
- Languages Offered: English
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Reserve Now & Pay Later
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:0061 (87) 2285 255