Select Date and Travellers
(Price varies by group size)
Reserve Now & Pay Later
Low Price Guarantee
During the period of seventh century, the prophet Mohammad dictated a long document granting protection to the monastery and exempting it from taxes. A copy of it can be seen hanging in the Icon Gallery, next to Napoleon’s letter of protection written in 1798. Ottoman armies was built mosque inside the Monastery’s walls in 1381.that the complex was partly Muslim, saving it from destruction. Since the eleventh century the Monastery has been known as St Catherine’s Monastery. Its library contains a collection of 5000 books and over 3000 manuscripts (most of which are in Greek), including some of the most ancient and important in the world, and is considered second only to that of the Vatican. Throughout its history, also the monastery has received gifts from popes, Christian princes.
- You'll get picked upSee Important Information for details
- 1St. Catherine's MonasteryStop: 2 hours - Admission includedIt is approx 3 HRS to reach to St Catherine’s Monastery from Sharm El Shiekh, the earliest surviving bastion of Christianity, make you go through breathtaking landscapes of arid rock formations, then desolate expanses of desert and the occasional Bedouin camp. The monastery was founded by the Emperor Justinian and Empress Theodora between 527-535 A.D. at the foot of Mount Sinai and Jebel Megafa , discover a centre of worship and learning for over 1450 years. St Catherine was born Dorothea to a noble family in Alexandria in AD 294, and she was studied poetry, music, art, physics, mathematics, astronomy and philosophy at a pagan school, it was before converting to Christianity and taking the name of Catherine at baptism. She was tortured and beheaded for her faith by Emperor Maximus on 25 November AD 305 in Alexandria. according to tradition her body disappeared and was transported by angels to the highest mountain peak of the Sinai Peninsula. it’s begin from three centuries later, following a dream, some monks from the monastery found her relics, brought them down from the mountain, and placed them in a gilded sarcophagus, which now stands in the basilica choir.Read more
- Entrance fees to the mentioned sightseeing.
- Met & Assist from & to your hotel at Sharm El Shiekh.
- All transfers by air condition vehicle.
- Private Egyptology tour guide
- Lunch during the trip .
- Entry/Admission - St. Catherine's Monastery
- Tips to guide & driver.
- Any Souvenir from any purchasing stop.
- Entry Visa to Egypt which had to be handle from your side.
- International Air tickets from & to Egypt.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travellers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travellers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travellers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s cancelled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Write a review
What was your experience like?
Share your best travel photo
Let the world see your experience through your eyes.
Get quick answers
Ask fellow travellers and attraction managers your top questions.
About the operator
This tour has not yet been reviewed, but you can read what other travellers have to say about this operator.
By: GoldenEgypt Tours
We were robbed on the tour
My wife and I went to do the boat ride to the Nubian village. They took $2000 egp from her purse. We had just taken…
Trip of a lifetime
When I say “lifetime” I recognize I’m only in my 30s, but I’ve travelled a lot and can safely say that experiencing…
Trip of a lifetime thanks to our guides!
A girlfriend and I decided rather spur of the moment to book tickets to Egypt from the US. We booked an 8 day tour …
- Duration: 6–8 hours
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Instant Confirmation
- Pickup offered
- Languages Offered: English
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Reserve Now & Pay Later
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:0061 (87) 2285 255
Popular: Booked by 136 travellers!
Frequently Asked Questions about Saint Catherine’s Monastery
What time does Saint Catherine’s Monastery start?
Saint Catherine’s Monastery will start at 7:00 AM. Discover and book Saint Catherine’s Monastery on Tripadvisor
Which attractions will I visit with Saint Catherine’s Monastery?
During this experience, places you will visit include:Discover and book Saint Catherine’s Monastery on Tripadvisor
How much is Saint Catherine’s Monastery?
Saint Catherine’s Monastery price starts from AU$190.35. Discover and book Saint Catherine’s Monastery on Tripadvisor
What is the Saint Catherine’s Monastery cancellation policy?
Saint Catherine’s Monastery cancellation policy: For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Discover and book Saint Catherine’s Monastery on Tripadvisor