This product is unavailable to book via Tripadvisor. Contact the supplier for availability.
Recommended by 100% of travellers
Reserve Now & Pay Later
Low Price Guarantee
Experience a beautiful route to the Ausangate Valley on a hike of only 1 hour approximately, in which we will appreciate a mountain range that as we ascend will change its colors until we reach Vinicunca known as the 7-color Mountain or Arch Iris because of its similarity to the colors of the Rainbow and known as Cerro Colorado. The Vinicunca mountain is located at 5200 m.a.s.l., and due to the large amount of minerals that it has developed as a result of thawing it has obtained its colors that attract hundreds of tourists a year.
- You'll get picked upSee Important Information for details
- 1Montana de Siete ColoresStop: 60 minutes - Admission includedDAILY DEPARTURES: 4:00 am to 4:30 pm DURATION: One day HOME: Cusco PLACE TO VISIT: Cusipata - vinincunca FINISH: Cusco PHYSICAL STATE: level 3 ALTITUDE: 5100 m.s.n.m CATEGORY: Natural BEST TIME TO VISIT: May-Nov RECOMMENDATION: We recommend being at least 2 days in Cusco for acclimatization purposes. Remember that, although the walk is about 2 hours one way and 2 hours back if you are not well acclimatized you may have difficulties during the journey. BECAUSE THE COLORS OF THE MOUNTAIN This program starts very early with the departure from Cusco. Our mobility will pick us up at the hotel according to the scheduled time and then we will go to the district of Cusi pata which is at a distance of approximately 77 kilometers. By bus for 2 hours our breakfast will be in the community of Cusi pata for a time of 30 minutes and then continue for approximately 1 hour in our mobility to the community of PHULAWASIPATA. From this point we will start our trek to the 7 Color Mountain - Vinicunca, the road will take us about 1 hour with 45 minutes to 2 hours of ascent until 5,100 meters. Already at the top our Guiad for a brief information of this beautiful natural formation. According to some geologists of the Geological Society of Peru, the Vinicunca mountain, like many other mountains in the great Andes Mountains, was formed by the movement of the tectonic plates that raised the marine sediments to become impressive mountains. On the other hand, the color presented by Vinicunca is the result of the oxidation of some minerals due to erosion, humidity and other geological factors. At some point in our history, the mountain was covered with blocks of ice: it was snowy. However, due to global warming and climate change, the ice disappeared and left in place this magical landscape that demonstrates the beauty and ecological fragility of planet Earth. The coloring of the 7-color hill, according to the studies of the Deconcentrated Directorate of Culture of Cusco, is due to the following mineralogical composition: The pink color is the red clay, fangolites (mud) and arilites (sand). The Blanquecino is by quartz sandstone and marls, rich in calcium carbonate. Red is composed of clays (iron) and clays belonging to the upper tertiary. The green is due to the compound of phyllites and clays rich in magnesium ferro. The earthy brown is a product of fanglomerate composed of rock with magnesium belonging to the Quaternary era. And the mustard yellow color is due to the presence of calcareous sandstones rich in sulphured minerals. Along the way we will be able to appreciate some South American camelids, settlers with their typical costumes and the change in the coloration of the mountains until we reach Vinicunca where we can enjoy the landscape of the entire Vilcanota mountain chain. After receiving our information and time to visit the mountain and take our photos we will take the same way back to our mobility and later return for 1 hour to the CUSIPATA district of PAUCARPATA community to have our lunch in our restaurant. 2:00 pm to We will have lunch. 2:00 pm We begin the return to the city of Cusco. 4:30 pm to 5:00 pm arrival at the squareRead more
- Round trip transportation
- 1 Breakfast / 1 Lunch
- Entrance to the mountain
- Professional route guide
- Blankets and ecological canes
- Entry/Admission - Montana de Siete Colores
- Horse / extra drinks
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travellers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travellers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travellers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s cancelled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 17 travellers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Time of year
I recently went on a number of tours with Sakura Expedition to Machu Picchu by car, the Rainbow Mountain as well as Humantay lake and the wonderful Chonta Canyon where I managed to see a number of condors in their natural habitat. Not only are the tours affordable if you find…
Date of experience: October 2019
2 Helpful votes
Response from Sakura E, Gerente at Mountain of Colors
Responded 24 Mar 2020
Dear Friend, It was a pleasure to have served you. We are happy that our service has been to your liking. It is good that our team has made your trip a memorable one, we will make sure to send you your congratulations. We hope to see you again soon! We appreciate each of your words and your recommendations. Regards, Team Sakura Expedition
Write a review
What was your experience like?
Share your best travel photo
Let the world see your experience through your eyes.
Get quick answers
Ask fellow travellers and attraction managers your top questions.
About the operator
This experience only has a few reviews, but you can read what other travellers have to say about the operator.
By: Sakura Expedition
MACHUPICCHU BY CAR 2D
Experience in Machu Picchu We are a group of 8 French, the service was excellent the transport with Wi-Fi, the food…
Decent and safe transfer
Sakura travel was professional, and despite a lack of English (as I speak very little Spanish), they did their best…
This tour took our breath away! From the direct hotel pickup/drop off, the winding road at the edge of the mountain…
Dishonest and deceitful
My partner and I booked a tour with Sakura Expedition but unfortunately learned that they simply lie to sell tours …
- Duration: 10h 30m
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Instant Confirmation
- Pickup offered
- Languages Offered: English, Spanish
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Reserve Now & Pay Later
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:0061 (87) 2285 255
Popular: Booked by 2,978 travellers!