Recommended by 100% of travellers
Select Date and Travellers
Reserve Now & Pay Later
Low Price Guarantee
Known as the ‘Chicago of the South’ Sydney in the 1920s and 1930s was famous for its vicious gang rivalry, cocaine addition, and sly-grog scene. From this labyrinth of lanes a mass of criminal empires emerged, ruled by two mob bosses with a difference – these bosses were women. Hailed Queens of the Underworld, Tilly Devine and Kate Leigh, had crawled their way up from obscure origins over the bodies (sometimes literally) of men to become the most powerful women in Sydney, and they were not about to give up that power — especially not to each other. Join us as we explore the lesser known laneways and secrets of Surry Hills, meet the colourful collection of working girls, gangsters and hit men who gave Sydney a bad reputation, finishing with a drink at a speakeasy style bar.
- You'll start atCentral Station Grand ConcourseEddy Ave, Haymarket NSW 2000, AustraliaYour guide will meet you in the Grand Concourse of Sydney Central Station (the main terminus hall). Look for the large hanging clock in the centre of the Grand Concourse — your guide be located underneath this clock, by the stain glass windows that face the 'Next Departure' screens.See address & details
- 1Central Railway StationStop: 15 minutesSee details
- 2Surry HillsStop: 60 minutesSee details
- 3DarlinghurstStop: 60 minutesSee details
- You'll end atShady Pines Saloon4/256 Crown St, Darlinghurst NSW 2010, AustraliaThis tour finishes with a complimentary drink included at a speak-easy style bar close to the corner of Oxford St and Crown St in Darlinghurst. Surry Hills, Hyde Park & Central Station are all with in walking distance of this location and Oxford Street has bus routes that run to and from the city.See address & details
Central Station Grand Concourse, Eddy Ave, Haymarket NSW 2000, Australia
Shady Pines Saloon, 4/256 Crown St, Darlinghurst NSW 2010, Australia
- Enjoy a unique drink at a hidden speak-easy bar after your tour. Their house special is a glass of whisky with freshly squeezed apple juice. Beer, wine and non-alcoholic drinks also available.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travellers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travellers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travellers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s cancelled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travellers. If it’s cancelled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travellers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Time of year
Our guide was knowledgeable and enthusiastic and this made the tour fantastic. She took the time to tell stories in detail and answer any questions we had.... didn't feel like we were being rushed.
Date of experience: November 2020
Surry Hills is a great place for a walk through Sydney's esarly 20th century history. April is a passionate story teller who has done her research. She designed this tour and she has many historic photos of the people and buildings she includes in the walk--and those people…
Date of experience: January 2020
1 Helpful vote
We had a great afternoon learning about the dark history of our own city. April, our guide was amazing - her knowledge and style made the trip extra special . Finishing with an Apple Whisky was also a plus. We are planning on going more walks with this company
Date of experience: November 2019
Write a review
What was your experience like?
Share your best travel photo
Let the world see your experience through your eyes.
Get quick answers
Ask fellow travellers and attraction managers your top questions.
About the operator
This experience only has a few reviews, but you can read what other travellers have to say about the operator.
By: Journey Walks
The tour guide was very well informed and reminded me of many things I had forgotten. The tour was well planned, we…
I cannot recommend more highly this fabulous experience! Our terrific tour guide D, was passionate, knowledgable an…
Wow what a tour and our guide April was amazing.
We did the Surry Hills one with April last week. It was fantastic!! She was excellent, enthusiastic and clearly pas…
Phenomenal tour!! These guys are not only super interesting but fun and friendly .. thanks for having us :)
A wonderful fun experience
Danica was an engaging and enthusiastic guide who brought history alive. They were fun, knowledgeable and inspiring…
If You only Have Time for One Tour, This Is It!
Two friends, an Aussie and an American went on this tour whilst in Sydney in March 2020, (just before covid 19 lock…
Super Tour and Guide
April was our quide and she was exceptional. She has a great educational background which becomes apparent as she r…
Amazing amount of knowledge
Max, you are a nerdy rockstar (compliment btw), we were amazed at your amount of knowledge and ability to answer ra…
Convicts and The Rocks
Max was a very well educated/informed guide with boundless enthusiasm and passion for this subject. As an Aussie wh…
What a day , April the guide was excellent , knowledgeable a joy to listen to all the stories I am from Sydney sur…
The highlight of our Sydney visit.
This was our second tour with Journey Walks, the first was the Rocks tour. The tours are well researched, informati…
What a fascinating tour. Max delivered thoroughly researched history of this vibrant area. He is passionate and bri…
Absolutely excellent, bringing history alive
Having found ourselves unexpectedly in Sydney for a few extra days we booked this, SO pleased we did, it was the be…
A perfect way to learn more about this part of Sydney!
Definitely a worthwhile experience, great storytelling skill from our guide Max, so glad I did this.
Wonderful history lesson
Our guide was very knowledgeable, was a historian as promised, had pictures as well as the real sites to help make …
- Duration: 2h 30m
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Instant Confirmation
- Languages Offered: English
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Reserve Now & Pay Later
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:0061 (87) 2285 255
Frequently Asked Questions about Slums, Slashings & Sly-grog — A History Tour of Surry Hills & Darlinghurst
What time does Slums, Slashings & Sly-grog — A History Tour of Surry Hills & Darlinghurst start?
Slums, Slashings & Sly-grog — A History Tour of Surry Hills & Darlinghurst will start at 2:00 PM. Discover and book Slums, Slashings & Sly-grog — A History Tour of Surry Hills & Darlinghurst on Tripadvisor
Which attractions will I visit with Slums, Slashings & Sly-grog — A History Tour of Surry Hills & Darlinghurst?
During this experience, places you will visit include:Discover and book Slums, Slashings & Sly-grog — A History Tour of Surry Hills & Darlinghurst on Tripadvisor
How much is Slums, Slashings & Sly-grog — A History Tour of Surry Hills & Darlinghurst?
Slums, Slashings & Sly-grog — A History Tour of Surry Hills & Darlinghurst price starts from AU$46.65. Discover and book Slums, Slashings & Sly-grog — A History Tour of Surry Hills & Darlinghurst on Tripadvisor
What is the Slums, Slashings & Sly-grog — A History Tour of Surry Hills & Darlinghurst cancellation policy?
Slums, Slashings & Sly-grog — A History Tour of Surry Hills & Darlinghurst cancellation policy: For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Discover and book Slums, Slashings & Sly-grog — A History Tour of Surry Hills & Darlinghurst on Tripadvisor