Select Date and Travellers
Low Price Guarantee
Founded as a convict colony, Sydney’s history is simply fascinating. Discover it with a local historian on this small-group walking tour of The Rocks, which wraps up inside a converted 19th Century storehouse with a cobblestone beer-garden. See a scale model of the area in Customs House; visit historic slums, speakeasies, and ruins in The Rocks’ cobbled lanes; and hear tales of derring-do as you visit the landmarks in Macquarie Place.
- You'll start atCustoms House31 Alfred St, Sydney NSW 2000, AustraliaThis tour meets in front of CUSTOMS HOUSE (31 Alfred Street Circular Quay). Your guide will be located outside the building on right hand-side if facing the entrance. Your guide will have a white tour folder that says CONVICT HISTORY TOUR and a navy blue Journey Walks shirt.See address & details
- 1Journey WalksStop: 10 minutesSee details
- 2Customs HouseStop: 10 minutes - Admission includedSee details
- 3Tank Stream FountainStop: 10 minutesSee details
- 4The RocksStop: 80 minutesSee details
- 5The ArgyleStop: 10 minutes - Admission includedSee details
- You'll end atThe Australian Heritage Hotel100 Cumberland St, The Rocks NSW 2000, AustraliaSee address & details
- Explore The Rocks, Sydney’s historic heart, with a local historian
- Numbers are capped at just 14 travelers for a more intimate experience
- Visit around 20 different sites, each with its own captivating story
- Conclude your tour at an historic cobblestone beer-garden with a chance to make new friends over a drink
Customs House, 31 Alfred St, Sydney NSW 2000, Australia
The Australian Heritage Hotel, 100 Cumberland St, The Rocks NSW 2000, Australia
- A local Sydney history expert as your tour guide
- 2.5 hour walking tour covering approximately 20 historic sites and stories
- Local recommendations and extra question time with your guide is included after the tour.
- Tour finishes at a friendly old fashioned Pub in The Rocks for a chance to share a drink together
- Entry/Admission - Customs House
- Entry/Admission - Macquarie Place Park
- Entry/Admission - The Argyle
- Food is not included on this tour, but your tour guide will have fantastic local recommendations
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- We continue our tours in all weather conditions so please dress accordingly. Umbrella's are a good idea if wet weather seems likely.
- Due to the layout of The Rocks, some stairs are unavoidable at certain points along the way, but majority of the route follows flat terrain.
- Anyone requiring special assistance is kindly asked to make contact with your local operator in advance.
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are advised that this tour may include the names and images of people who are now deceased.
- Your guide is a native English speaker and will carry tour folder with A3 size images to help illustrate the area's past
- Groups are kept small (10 person maximum) and we encourage questions and interaction.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travellers can participate
- Your guide will ensure that Covid-safe social distancing measures and a contact free policy is in place throughout the tour
- This experience requires a minimum number of travellers. If it’s cancelled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travellers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Time of year
Phenomenal tour!! These guys are not only super interesting but fun and friendly .. thanks for having us :)
Date of experience: October 2020
Danica was an engaging and enthusiastic guide who brought history alive. They were fun, knowledgeable and inspiring. What a great way to understand Sydney, and I will never look at Circular Quay and The Rocks in the same way again. Highly recommended
Date of experience: September 2020
Two friends, an Aussie and an American went on this tour whilst in Sydney in March 2020, (just before covid 19 lockdown) and both came away having learnt a lot and having had a great time. Young Max was a terrific tour guide, well spoken, knowledgeable, relaxed and friendly.…
Date of experience: March 2020
2 Helpful votes
April was our quide and she was exceptional. She has a great educational background which becomes apparent as she recounts tales of the past in Sydney. We knew nothing about the convicts and the Rocks and what an important part of Sydney history they represent. Well worth the…
Date of experience: February 2020
Max, you are a nerdy rockstar (compliment btw), we were amazed at your amount of knowledge and ability to answer random historic facts when questioned... 5 starts!
Date of experience: March 2020
1 Helpful vote
About the operator
Don’t take it from us – here’s what people have to say about this operator.
By: Journey Walks
The tour guide was very well informed and reminded me of many things I had forgotten. The tour was well planned, we…
Backstreet legends of Sydney
Our guide was knowledgeable and enthusiastic and this made the tour fantastic. She took the time to tell stories in…
I cannot recommend more highly this fabulous experience! Our terrific tour guide D, was passionate, knowledgable an…
Wow what a tour and our guide April was amazing.
We did the Surry Hills one with April last week. It was fantastic!! She was excellent, enthusiastic and clearly pas…
The highlight of our Sydney visit.
This was our second tour with Journey Walks, the first was the Rocks tour. The tours are well researched, informati…
What a fascinating tour. Max delivered thoroughly researched history of this vibrant area. He is passionate and bri…
Fascinating tour of a notorious part of Sydney
Great tour! Max really knows his stuff , and presents it with a humorous and easy to understand delivery. A very pr…
Rocks Walking Tour which is a must for tourists and Sydneysiders
Max is a wonderful historian who brought the history of the first settlers to life and land marks that I have walke…
An infamous neighborhood and time brought to life.
Surry Hills is a great place for a walk through Sydney's esarly 20th century history. April is a passionate story …
Sydney’s Convict colony history tour
Max gives an excellent 2hr guided walking tour at Sydney waterfront and thru the Rocks explaining the vivid history…
Really, really intresting tour!
Walking history tour with Max was the high light of our stay in Sydney. The only pity was that we did it in the las…
Do not miss this tour!!
A very knowledgeable articulate tour guide who really knows the subject. History (of Australia in particular) is M…
We had a great afternoon learning about the dark history of our own city. April, our guide was amazing - her knowle…
Kings Cross journey walks Sydney.
My friend and I experienced the history walk through the Cross. It was magnificent. Max, the historian delivered th…
Walking Tour of Sydney
This is our second tour with Max ( owner-operator ) We did the Kings Cross tour and I want to say it didn’t disappo…
- Duration: 2h 30m
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Instant Confirmation
- Languages Offered: English
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Reserve Now & Pay Later
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:0061 (87) 2285 255
from A$63.75* A$76.02
Popular: Booked by 287 travellers!
Popular: Booked by 277 travellers!
Frequently Asked Questions about Convicts and The Rocks: Sydney's Walking Tour Led by Historian
What time does Convicts and The Rocks: Sydney's Walking Tour Led by Historian start?
Convicts and The Rocks: Sydney's Walking Tour Led by Historian will start at 10:30 AM. Discover and book Convicts and The Rocks: Sydney's Walking Tour Led by Historian on Tripadvisor
Which attractions will I visit with Convicts and The Rocks: Sydney's Walking Tour Led by Historian?
During this experience, places you will visit include:Discover and book Convicts and The Rocks: Sydney's Walking Tour Led by Historian on Tripadvisor
How much is Convicts and The Rocks: Sydney's Walking Tour Led by Historian?
Convicts and The Rocks: Sydney's Walking Tour Led by Historian price starts from AU$36.96. Discover and book Convicts and The Rocks: Sydney's Walking Tour Led by Historian on Tripadvisor
What is the Convicts and The Rocks: Sydney's Walking Tour Led by Historian cancellation policy?
Convicts and The Rocks: Sydney's Walking Tour Led by Historian cancellation policy: For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Discover and book Convicts and The Rocks: Sydney's Walking Tour Led by Historian on Tripadvisor