Support this operator:Times are tough for the travel community right now. To show your support, consider leaving a review or posting photos of tours and experiences you have taken. Your support will go a long way in helping tour operators worldwide get back on their feet down the road
View all photos (87)
Select Date and Travellers
Select tour language
Low Price Guarantee
Discover the secretive history of the Knights Templar in Portugal on a small-group tour from Lisbon to the towns of Constancia and Tomar. Learn the Templars' story, as you explore Almourol Castle, the Convent of Christ, and other fascinating Knights Templar sites that offer a unique perspective on the order of Christian knights.
You'll start at
Or, you can also get picked upSee Important Information for details
- 1Castelo de AlmourolStop: 50 minutes - Admission includedSee details
- 2ConstanciaStop: 45 minutes -See details
- 3TomarStop: 3 hours -See details
- 4Igreja de Santa Maria dos OlivaisStop: 30 minutes - Admission includedSee details
- 5Convento de CristoStop: 90 minutes - Admission includedSee details
You'll end atSee Important Information for details
- Knights Templar tour from Lisbon, including a trip to Constancia and Tomar
- See a beautiful UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Includes a boat ride to Almourol Castle
- Group size limited to eight for personal service
What to Expect
After meeting up in central Lisbon, travel to the mysterious Almourol Castle, built by the Knights Templar to defend their territorial boundaries. See the castle on the water, as you approach by boat and then have time to explore the fortifications. Next, continue to the village of Constancia, stopping by the magnificent Constancia Park for a leisurely stroll and a taste of a local delicacy made from almonds and eggs. In Tomar, see an entire city built by the Knights Templar, with four religious monuments that form a massive cross. Tour the Castle of Tomar and the Convent of Christ, a 12th-century UNESCO World Heritage Site, and enjoy a full afternoon in Tomar, where you can purchase lunch at a local restaurant and visit more Templar sites. Following a day of Templar mysteries and lore, this tour concludes with drop-off at the original departure point.
Restauradores Square, Praça dos Restauradores, 1250-096 Lisboa, Portugal Marquis of Pombal Square, Praça Marquês de Pombal, Lisboa, Portugal
- Hotel pickup (or nearest location possible) only in certain areas of the city (center). It may be required to get to a standard pick-up point (i.e Cais do Sodré train station or Saldanha metro station)
- Drop-off at 2 centrally located points: Restauradores square / Marquês de Pombal
- Small-group tour (8 people max.)
- Professional but informal local guide
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Live commentary on board
- WiFi available in the minivan
- Boat ride to Almourol Castle (susceptible to weather conditions)
- Local pastry
- Entrance + guided visit inside Convent of Christ
- Entry/Admission - Castelo de Almourol
- Entry/Admission - Igreja de Santa Maria dos Olivais
- Entry/Admission - Convento de Cristo
- Food and drinks (including meals), unless specified
- Hotel drop-off
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Please contact the company at least 24 hours before the activity for exact pick-up location and time (normally between 08:00 AM to 08:45 AM).
- Pick-up at your hotel (or nearest location possible) only in certain areas of the city (center). It may be required to get to a standard pick-up point (i.e Mercado da Ribeira or Saldanha areas). Parque das Nações area is not available for pick-up.
- Please note that you may have to walk a short distance from your accommodation to be picked up.
- Drop off (done in only two locations: Restauradores square or Marquês de Pombal).
- Please be reminded that there may be more than one language spoken during the tour (max. two languages).
- English, Spanish and Portuguese are available all year round. French, Italian, Russian and Romanian ONLY ON REQUEST (according to availability).
- Please note that infants and children occupy a seat.
- Infant seats are available on request if advised at time of booking.
- Child rate applies only when accompanied by, at least, 1 paying adult.
- Maximum of 8 persons per vehicle.
- It's a good idea to wear tennis shoes or other appropriate footwear for the tour and bring along a bottle of water. In summer bring your sunscreen and in winter it gets very cold so make sure you bring a jacket.
- A minimum of 2 people and maximum of 8 people per booking is required: there is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund.
- A moderate amount of walking is involved.
- Not wheelchair accessible.
- Boat ride is subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given an alternative.
- In case of adverse weather conditions (e. g. heavy rain), the tour will not be canceled, unless there are warnings and alerts by official organisms.
- We are not responsible for any traffic congestion in the city, resulting from cultural, sport and religious events, or even demonstrations / strikes, etc. However we will always offer alternatives to avoid these situations; one of them is to change the pick-up and drop-off locations. Unfortunately, this may be transmitted without prior notice.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for travellers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travellers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travellers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires a minimum number of travellers. If it’s cancelled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travellers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Time of year
Excellent.informative. great story telling and great locations. Even with our mobility issues we managed the climbs and stairs.
Date of experience: March 2020
Learned a lot of history on the tour. Guide Vasco was very informative. Good English. Worth the money .
Date of experience: March 2020
The tour was just what we wanted. The tour guide was very knowledgeable about the history and the sites we went to see. The pickup at our hotel was on time and a nice feature of the tour. Having the admission tickets included in the price is so much easier than tours that have…
Date of experience: February 2020
Very enjoyable and informative tour. Our tour guide Joanna was great. Very fun to be with and very knowledgeable of the history of the Knights Templar Tour. Her choice of restaurant for lunch was delicious. Would definitely recommend this tour
About the operator
Don’t take it from us – here’s what people have to say about this operator.
By: Cooltour Lisbon
Outstanding Tour--Knowledgeable Staff
Overall, this was one of the best tours I've ever taken. Our tour guide was extremely knowledgeable and unexpected…
Overprized walking tour
We did a lot of tours in different cities over the time, but this was one of the worst. First we walked 1.5h along …
Miguel made our day a very special one. We loved the tour and Miguel was a wonderful guide. Thanks for the great ex…
Sintra by Small Group
Great tour, great guide in Joanna! While the guide was luck of the draw we felt very lucky to have had Joanna. Sh…
Fantastic, great tour and guide
Fantastic, great tour and guide. Must visit locations that you would not likely make to on your own.
Cork, rocks, archaeology, history, frescoes, bones and more!
We were picked up at 8 am sharp and to our surprise were the only ones who signed up! So our good fortune to have …
Day was beautifully planned and Joanna, our guide, was so knowledgable, thoughtful and funny! This day was a highl…
OK, the tour took us to lovely sites. The guide (Daniel) was friendly and provided some useful information. The con…
Sintra Small Group
Elizabeth did a great job. Going with a group made it a much easier trip, up and down and around places. We saw som…
Great day with Vasco
Pena palace was amazing, vaguely reminiscent of Sagrada familia in Madrid. Vasco got everything done without it fee…
Would have been difficult and more tiring to do what we did via pubic transport
Cooltours provided information day before the trip re meeting place and time. Joana was our driver/guide for the d…
Excellent tour and guide
I enjoyed this tour thoroughly. The small group was perfect for myself as a solo traveller. Visiting Pena Palace be…
Fatima tour half day
Our tour guide was very nice. There was only me and my friend signed up for this trip and she picked us up at our …
Wonderful tour that you should not missed
The selection of scenery points are excellent. Guide is smart, friendly and knowledgeable. Eight members per group…
Knights Templar Historical Tour from Lisbon
This was a truly excellent tour; highly informative and extremely interesting from a historical standpoint. If you…
- Duration: 9h
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Instant Confirmation
- Hotel Pickup
- Languages Offered: English, Portuguese, Spanish
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Reserve Now & Pay Later
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:0061 (87) 2285 255
Travellers also viewed
Popular: Booked by 1,093 travellers!
Frequently bought together
Popular: Booked by 18,981 travellers!
Popular: Booked by 2,880 travellers!
Popular: Booked by 3,136 travellers!