Discover Ravenna, one of the most important cities of art, with an extraordinary historic, cultural and artistic heritage and a glorious past. Ravenna was the seat of the Roman Empire in the 5th century, of Theodoric King of the Goths in the 6th century and then of Byzantine Italy until the 8th century.
The magnificence of this period has left Ravenna with a great heritage of historical buildings and a unique collection of early Christian mosaics and monuments. 7 of the 8 Unesco World Heritage Sites of Ravenna province are located in the city of Ravenna and they were all built and decorated in the 5th and 6th centuries showing great artistic skill, including a wonderful blend of Graeco-Roman tradition, Christian iconography and oriental and Western styles. Explore Ravenna, the city where Dante chose his last refuge, Boccaccio set a beautiful novel, Lord Byron lived his longest relationship, Gustav Klimt drew obvious inspiration, Hermann Hesse wrote some verses and Oscar Wilde was inspired, whoever sees Ravenna falls in love with it today just as it happened in the past.
The tour includes the following sites:
• Church of S. Vitale: with rich and vividly-coloured mosaics
• Mausoleum of Galla Placidia: breathtaking interior of the 5th century
• Baptistry of Neon: famed for its astonishing roof mosaic
• Dante's tomb
• Basilica of San Francisco: and its submerged mosaics
• Basilica of Sant'Apollinare Nuovo: old private chapel of King Theodoric
• Arian Baptistry built by Theodoric
• The church of Saint John the evangelist and the old mosaic floors
• A walk in the city centre thro Piazza del Popolo
Being a full-day tour please inform the guide on the visiting day if you want to stop for a light lunch with typical products or short stops for ice cream and/or cappuccino with pastry and/or a sandwich, this is to better organize the tour according to your preferences.