Dark cave is an adventurous and action-packed experience. Visiting this cave includes harnessed zip lining over a turquoise river, swimming into the mouth of the cave (lifejackets included), walking through the dark with only the head torch on your mining helmet to illuminate the way, having a mud fight in the buoyant mud baths deep in the cave, washing clean with a swim in the lake inside the cave, then kayaking back across the river to test your strength on the hanging obstacle course and open ziplines.The Dark cave is named as such because it is one of the few caves that have had no artificial lighting installed. The cave is comprised of mostly basalt, in addition to limestone. Basalt is a black, hard rock; also contributing to the cave’s name. With this rock surrounding you, you squish through the narrow and muddy passage using only your headlamps to illuminate your path. Clothes are required when visiting Dark Cave: swim wear Male: shorts Female: bikini
Ages 16-80, max of 20 per group
Start time: Check availability
Live guide: English
Audio guide: English
Print or digital reading material such as a guide, map, brochure, etc.
What's not included
- Bottled water
- Fuel surcharge
- Parking Fees
- Landing and facility fees
- Entry/Admission - Hang Toi (Dark Cave)
- If you require an invoice, there will be an additional 10% VAT charge
- Departure details
- Traveller pickup is offered.
- We would like to pick up all travelers centrally located in Dong Hoi City and Phong Nha town
If you have questions about accessibility, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 45825P31
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for travellers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travellers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travellers can participate
- Note: You have to wear a bikini (for ladies) and swimsuit (for men) in the Dark (as Dark Cave regulation). The safely weight regulations for the long zip line require you to be between 40 and 90kg.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s cancelled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 20 travellers
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- If you have questions about this tour or need help making your booking, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 45825P31
- You'll get picked upSee departure details
- 1Hang Toi (Dark Cave)Stop: 10 hours - Admission includedDark cave is an adventurous and action-packed experience. Visiting this cave includes harnessed zip lining over a turquoise river, swimming into the mouth of the cave (lifejackets included), walking through the dark with only the head torch on your mining helmet to illuminate the way, having a mud fight in the buoyant mud baths deep in the cave, washing clean with a swim in the lake inside the cave, then kayaking back across the river to test your strength on the hanging obstacle course and open ziplines. hong Nha cave is not only a natural legacy of the world. It also stands as a relic system of the historic Ho Chi Minh trail which, during the US war, served as a secret hiding place for floating bridges that were only brought out at night to avoid targeted bombings. These bridges were key components in the supply chain from the north to the south by allowing supply trucks to cross the rivers. It also once served as a hospital, with weapons installed at the entrance. Once its location was discovered, it was heavily bombed, resulting in the external scarring you see today. This area has now become the first section of the ever popular Ho Chi Minh trail, as it showcases a lush, mountainous landscape.Read more
- You'll return to the starting point
About the operator
Phong Nha Locals Travel & Transport
Dong Hoi, Vietnam
Joined in November 2016
#1 of 10 Transportation in Dong Hoi
- haramh00Camping in the worlds 4th largest caveIt was a great experience to go through the Vietnamese jungle, the two caves and have dinner and camp in Pygmy Cave. Quite a surreal experience and well guided and supported event
- Levy83500Real Cave experienceI loved every bit of this tour. Our guide 'Monkey' was enthusiastic and spoke excellent English. Kayaking in Phong Nha Cave is magical as only one tour of max 12 people at a time you have the peace and quiet of the cave to yourself! 2km of kayaking and 2km of walking over rocks. Would recommend you bring good grippy shoes and not use theirs if you have some. Guides will help you if you have any problems. Covering ourselves in the clay mud and laying in the sand was a bonus. Also the very pretty caves at the end finished the day off lovely. Would highly recommend.
- Enrico F00True Vietnamese experienceUnforgettable experience totally worth the price. Be aware the rock walk is quit challenging and can feel pretty unsafe especially for Western standard. The guide was very friendly but his English wasn't really great, a bit hard to understand and not really able to reply to any of your questions. Not sure why they tell you to bring hiking shoes but then tell you to leave the in their shuttle bus? Doing the walk with hiking shoes rather than the silly little plastic shoes they give you would have been much better.id reccomend bringing hiking shoes and out the in a water proof bag so they don't get wet during the kayak bit. Also has someone else mentioned in previous reviews, not sure why they make you wear safety jackets on the way in but not on the way out? Overall amazing experience in true Vietnam Style
- simonsB2779CL00Great day outExcellent day trip with lot of activities. The 3km kayaking was fun and it is pretty hard for us to do hiking part. Lunch was delicious and included in the tour price. Phong Nha cave stalagmite and Stalactite are super beautiful and we enjoyed our day very much. Recommend it.
- LarsW20600Bad info, low savety, too large group, - Don't take this tourLet's start with the good parts. The kayaking in the cave was nice and the visit at the Phong Nha large cave at the end is beautiful. Now, let's jump to what needs improvement. Information on what to wear and what to expect was poor. "Wear comfortable clothes and good walking shoes. It is easy". A more correct instruction would be - all clothes will get wet and we will give you plastic sandals to wear and the hiking part is partly hard and risky. The plastic sandals that we were instructed to change to had good grip but provides next to zero stability on the tricky and sharp rocks. Also, there smallest size was 37 wich meant that some womes had to climb with too large shoes which made it dangerous. Please instruct participants to bring their own good trecking shoes. In addition to the partly quite risky climbing we were not provided life jackets when kayaking back. That is not acceptable. The supply of water was sparse and when we got water the second time we were provided with used bottles (from someone else). The food in the cave lunch was ok but took place almost at the end of the tour , 2:30, which is far too late. The group was 12 persons which is way to many. If you were at the end the head guide never waited to talk to let everyone hear. The assistant guides were helpfull and assistant though. I would not recommend this tour to anyone.
- L3579VNlucac00Conquer Phong Nha Cave By KayakExcellent tour to conquer Phong Nha cave by kayak. We did 3km kayaking and 3km hiking and it was great. We learned so much about the natural cave system and challenged ourselves. Lunch with local food was delicious and included in the tour. Highly recommend this tour in Phong Nha.
- X7058TRandrewv00Super kind staffHad to unfortunately cancel my tour last minute due to falling ill, but wanted to leave a 5-star review given how kind and understanding the staff were to my last minute cancellation. They were very proactive with managing the situation and helping me get a partial refund. Disappointed that I wasn't able to the tour, but definitely top of my list next time I'm in Phong Nha
- Tobias P00Exhausting, but very rewardingAmazing trip, super professionally organised. Extremely helpful guides with main guide being fluent in English. Fantastic jungle BBQ. Trek is challenging, physically and mentally. We did it with (sportive) kids 9 and 12. Normally I would not recommend for under 12 years. Due to two groups being out there we did it vice versa which is the worse way doing it. So make sure when booking you are in the “right” group.
- downj202300Thanks for a great memoryWhat a lovely water activity to explore Phong Nha Cave with Kayak. It was a great chance for us to marvel at the limestone formations from inflatable kayaks. At first lit up and then in darkness with head torches (provided by the tour provider). The 1.5km rock climbing to a swimming spot was such a great experience. our tour guide Mr. Hieu was energetic, friendly and provided interesting information on this wet cave, its history and geology. Thanks for a great memory.
- kellyrC2806ON00Great day to explore Phong Nha cave by KayakSuch a great day with Kayaking and exploring Phong Nha wet cave with our local cave expert. Everything was well organized and we had a great experience. Thank you very much.
- hoiannat00Transfer from Melia Vinpearl Dong Hoi to Novotel DanangVery goof transfer from DongHoi to Danang with stops along the way. Driver was punctual and helpful. The SUV was clean and confortable. We had a great day and highly recommend this tour company.
- birth202300Conquer Phong Nha CaveIt was such as great experience to conquer Phong Nha Cave by Kayak with many interesting activities. We loved the world’s most beautiful landscapes characterized as the longest underground rivers, caves, and height widest, the sand in the cave is the longest and most beautiful stalactites in Phong Nha Cave. I 100% recommend this Phong Nha Cave Tour.
- petertI6804WV00Phong Nha Kayak TourLovely day tour to explore the Phong Nha cave by Kayak. We did many Kayak Tours in Vietnam but this is the best tour ever. Highly recommend.
- DanieleV8888800Better late than neverBooked transfer from Phong Nha to Hue with sightseeing along the way. Pick up was one and a half hours late. Phoned after 15 mins, ‘sorry - our fault - will be there in 30 mins’. An hour and another phone call later the car arrived. Car was clean, but no bottle water (as advertised). Trip and stops were fine. Driver was nice (didn’t actually speak any English) - and is clearly popular (must have received nearly 20 phone calls during trip).
- sonia H00One day tour HuéOne day tour in Hué, it was great with a very nice guide, thank you to MS Thin, she was a great guide ( french speaker ). Lunch was included, and it was soooo good! We strongly recommand