Recommended by 100% of travellers
Select Date and Travellers
(Price varies by group size)
Select tour language
Reserve Now & Pay Later
Low Price Guarantee
- You'll start atAkabane Station1 Chome-1 Akabane, Kita City, Tokyo 115-0045, JapanThe meeting point is in front of the ticket gates of the north exit of JR Akabane station. Akabane is located 14 minutes from Shinjuku on the JR Saikyo line, 9 minutes from Ikebukuro on the JR Saikyo line, 9 minutes from Ueno on the JR Takasaki line or 15 minutes from Tokyo station on the JR Takasaki line.See address & details
- 1Akabane Ichiban-gai Shopping District Promotion Association OfficeStop: 4 hours - Admission includedSpend the night enjoying the laid back charms of Akabane's retro food and drink scene. Stop by a raucous local standing bar to enjoy a selection of tasty Japanese bar snacks and drinks. Enjoy traditional 'oden' at an Akabane institution washed down with the local speciality of sake mixed with broth. Brush shoulders with the locals at a traditional izakaya before grilling seafood at a speciality seafood grill. Experience traditional food and drink in this down to earth and of the beaten track neighborhood.Read more
- You'll end atAkabane Station1 Chome-1 Akabane, Kita City, Tokyo 115-0045, JapanThe meeting point is in front of the ticket gates of the north exit of JR Akabane station. Akabane is located 14 minutes from Shinjuku on the JR Saikyo line, 9 minutes from Ikebukuro on the JR Saikyo line, 9 minutes from Ueno on the JR Takasaki line or 15 minutes from Tokyo station on the JR Takasaki line.See address & details
Akabane Station, 1 Chome-1 Akabane, Kita City, Tokyo 115-0045, Japan
Returns to original departure point
- Guided tour of Retro Akabane's food scene.
- Try more than 10 local delicacies (you will be full).
- Visit to three izakayas where you'll experience local Japanese food culture.
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Entry/Admission - Akabane Ichiban-gai Shopping District Promotion Association Office
- Transport to and from Akabane
- Gratuities (optional)
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- The legal drinking age in Japan is 20. Soft drinks will be served to those under the age of 20
- Dietary Requirements. Please let us know if you have any dietary requirements and we will do our best to make sure you are catered to.
- We will be experiencing izakaya the Japanese way and so sharing plates between the group. (Dont worry you will be full!)
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for pregnant travellers
- Smoking is permitted in most Japanese bars and restaurants so we don't recommend this tour for pregnant travelers.
- Most travellers can participate
- We will be doing some mild walking so comfortable footwear is advisable.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s cancelled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Time of year
I'll be honest, upon arriving at Akabane I wasn't sure what to make of it. I'd just spent the last few days with a friend exploring Shibuya and central Tokyo and the atmosphere was very different. However, knowledge is key and after meeting our convivial guide, we were…
Date of experience: February 2020
Booked this tour with a friend, hoping to see an area of Tokyo that was a bit off the beaten track. We had an amazing time! Simon took care of everything, and was knowledgeable and enthusiastic. The highlight of the tour for me was the seafood restaurant, where we had tuna…
Date of experience: February 2020
I booked a private tour for myself with Simon - he was great with email communication and working with me to setup a tour specific to what I wanted to see and do. We had a great afternoon of eating, drinking, chatting and learning about Tokyo, Food, Culture and Life. Simon…
Date of experience: December 2019
To be honest I’m a little intimidated by Japan’s Izakaya because they’re like a club and I don’t have the language or cultural know how to walk right in and and not embarrass myself or someone else which is why this tour was so great. While drinking some genuinely tasty…
Write a review
What was your experience like?
Share your best travel photo
Let the world see your experience through your eyes.
Get quick answers
Ask fellow travellers and attraction managers your top questions.
About the operator
This experience only has a few reviews, but you can read what other travellers have to say about the operator.
By: Tokyo Memories
Good times, better sake
Our time spent with Simon was amazing. A lot of good information, fantastic views and delicious sake. I would highl…
Wow! I honestly didn't want the night to end
I've been to Tokyo numerous times. On this trip I wanted to find some new spots, so I decided to book a nighttime w…
Simon tailored a 8 hour daytime food and drinking tour which was outstanding. All the crew had a great time, canno…
We had a fantastic time and the highlight of our experience of Tokyo. I couldn’t recommend this experience more. Lo…
amazing time, discovered places not in tourist books
had an amazing time, simon was great and very helpful, would love to be my first time all over again. i definitely …
Simon was an excellent guide! It was not only a food tour but also a drink tour! Be prepared! We got to eat and dri…
Simon was awesome. Places you would never find on your own and his relationship with the different restaurants made…
Back Alley Izakaya
This tour was absolutely the highlight of our stay in Tokyo. Our tour guide Simon was knowledgable and fun. We we…
More drinking than you expect
Simon made it easy to find the meeting spot and showed up on time. We started the day with a turmeric drink to help…
What a wonderful experience we had with our guide Simon from beginning to end of this tour. Communication with this…
Simon was amazing
This tour was by far the highlight of our two weeks in Japan. Simon was so helpful, knowledgeable, and professional…
This tour set the tone for our visit to Japan
Our private tour (which included only the three of us in our party and our guide) of the back-alley izakaya's in To…
This was awesome!
Simon met us at the Shinjuku station at 9 and started us off with a beer apiece and a drink called "Power of Turmer…
Simon was a legend, we had the best time. He was very informative. It was a chance to see another side of Tokyo aw…
My wife and I did the tour with Kenichi and we absolutely loved it. He brought us to 4 different places that had go…
- Duration: 4h
- Mobile Ticket Accepted
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Instant Confirmation
- Languages Offered: English, Japanese
Why Book on Tripadvisor?
- Reserve Now & Pay Later
- Free Cancellation up to 24 hours in advance
- Low Price Guarantee
- No Booking Fees
- Secure Payments
- 24/7 SupportCall:0061 (87) 2285 255
Travellers also viewed
Frequently bought together
Popular: Booked by 51,262 travellers!
Popular: Booked by 4,293 travellers!
Frequently Asked Questions about Private Tokyo Food Tour - Retro Akabane Izakaya Experience
How much is Private Tokyo Food Tour - Retro Akabane Izakaya Experience?
Private Tokyo Food Tour - Retro Akabane Izakaya Experience price starts from AU$273.61. Discover and book Private Tokyo Food Tour - Retro Akabane Izakaya Experience on Tripadvisor
What is the Private Tokyo Food Tour - Retro Akabane Izakaya Experience cancellation policy?
Private Tokyo Food Tour - Retro Akabane Izakaya Experience cancellation policy: For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Discover and book Private Tokyo Food Tour - Retro Akabane Izakaya Experience on Tripadvisor
Which company provides Private Tokyo Food Tour - Retro Akabane Izakaya Experience?
Private Tokyo Food Tour - Retro Akabane Izakaya Experience is hosted by Tokyo Memories. Read reviews, discover additonal experiences or contact Tokyo Memories on Tripadvisor. Discover and book Private Tokyo Food Tour - Retro Akabane Izakaya Experience on Tripadvisor
How much time do I need for Private Tokyo Food Tour - Retro Akabane Izakaya Experience?
On average, this experience will take approximately 4h. Discover and book Private Tokyo Food Tour - Retro Akabane Izakaya Experience on Tripadvisor