What an awesome stay at Matemwe Retreat. Was the perfect way to start our honeymoon. The Villa we stayed in (Leila) was way beyond what the pictures and stories of others brought across. Spacious, PRIVATE, clean with such amazing views.
With the humidity the real bonus was the private plunge pool on the roof deck. We spent a lot of our time up there either in the pool or lazing in one of the deck chairs. Salim our butler was another highlight. Never intrusive, always a big smile on his face and was there for our every need. Dont expect to do much (or anything) in terms of physical work - they wont let you :-)
We had all our meals (bar the last night Braai (BBQ)) at our Villa. While a set menu was provided, we could chop and change for whatever we wanted. Always good South African Wine available to wash it down with - and the bar bridge is always well stocked.
The snorkelling at Mnemba Atoll (just a few 100m off the coast) is by far the best in Zanzibar. We also did it in Stone Town and in Jambiani but the waters here were so clear and the reef was something else.
The reef walk and kayaking was a nice change from all our lazing at the villa and if you feeling you need to strecth the legs, play some beach soccer with the locals in the afternoon - they are more than happy to include you.
An amazing stay, amazing people (Salim, Abdil, Rashid, Moses and Team) and we will be back one day.
- Also Known As:
- Matemwe Retreat, Asilia Africa Hotel Matemwe
- Matemwe Retreat, Asilia Africa Hotel
- Matemwe Retreat, Zanzibar, Asilia Africa
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matemwe Retreat's rooms are extremely spacious and beautifully decorated. A private deck and plunge pool allows for uninterrupted relaxation, with only the palm trees for company. Service at the Retreat is organized in such a way that guests need never leave their room. A private butler caters to every whim and the chef stops by every morning to discuss the meal choices for the day, which are served on the large verandas overlooking the Indian Ocean. Guests are free to wander down to the main lodge, enjoy the delicious cuisine or join fellow patrons for sundowner cocktails. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Venere, Expedia and Tingo so you can book your Matemwe Retreat, Zanzibar, Asilia Africa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.