I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights with my partner for a conference last fall. Mea culpe for being tardy, but I thought better late than never. We stayed in Rm 556 in the “Grand Deluxe Room” category. On inquiry I was advised that the only difference between this and the next category down was size. In summary, it was a nice, large room, in gorgeous old hotel in an excellent location. The “value for money” was adequate but not stellar.
Some quick facts and observations:
• Professional, friendly staff at all levels
• Stunningly beautiful “Garden Court”
• High ceilings, traditional furnishings and décor befitting the style of the hotel
• Comfortable bed and linens
• Mini-bar fridge to store your beverages
• Floor to ceiling windows with both black-out drapes and sheers to admit as much or as little light as you want
• Good room lighting, easy to work safe, easy to use thermostat, convenient mirrors, laundry line, and lighted make-up mirror
• Bathroom scale (nice touch) and bathrobes
• Old hotel, so little counter space in the bathroom and very tight for two
• Windows did not open. On inquiry, I was told that they were all in the process of being sealed shut for “safety reasons”
• Internet connect charge - per device! The cost for both i-pads was of the order of $30 per day. Maybe this is the norm, but we had not traveled with 2 i-pads before and were a bit surprised
• As others have said, noise is a factor if you are a light sleeper and your room is on Market or New Montgomery. Ask for upper floor or inside room.
• No coffee or tea facilities in the room. We noticed on check-out that coffee and tea were available by the reception, but we did not notice this on check-in and no employee informed us of it.
• Lots of shops on nearby streets
• “Blazing Saddles” bike rental is a must do - just a few short blocks to Union Square on Post and Mason. They give you a fabulous city map with a perfect bike route for a full day excursion across the Golden Gate Bridge and beyond
• French bistro, “Le Central” on Bush - excellent
I would recommend this hotel for its impeccable, old world charm, professional staff, and superb location, however, not strongly due to its internet policy (fee for each devise), the lack information about the availability of coffee and tea, and the potential noise.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
Thank you for taking the time to share your review, we are very appreciative of the detailed response in regards to coffee/tea service and internet fees. I have forwarded your insights to our Director of IT as well as our Director of Front Office regarding those concerns and we will address them accordingly. Thank you for your comments regarding our staff, beautiful public space, guestroom amenities and décor. It is unfortunate that we have had to close our windows due to safety concerns; however it is something out of our control. Thank you for sharing some local activities with our future Global Explorers, renting bicycles is a great way to get around town. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Report response as inappropriate
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC