My wife and I stayed here on a busy night (Friday night of Easter Weekend 2012), so any problems that exist with the property were likely to become apparent. Our experience was mostly smooth, marred only by a couple of housekeeping/maintenance items.
Check-in was quick and courteous. We were greeted in a friendly manner, by name, and our Hilton Hhonors status was properly noted. Basically all the in-processing items on the Hilton checklist were followed without a hitch.
Staff at this property was fantastic. In fact, the people who staff this hotel are probably its greatest asset.
There are several room types and layouts available at this extended-stay property. Note that this review is for a non-smoking 1-bedroom King suite (which is different than the King Studio Suite which is the same price). When we made our reservation we got the last of this type available (one the one hand, lucky for us, but with the drawback that nothing else is available is there is a problem with the room)
As other reviewers noted, wait times for the elevators can be quite long. Annoying, definitely, but I wouldn't advise against staying here solely on that basis. But then I was only there one night. Maybe I would feel differently if I were there for 60 days.
The room was laid out nicely and most things were in good working order. The large flat-screen TVs were nice and I noted the presence of a DVD player. Carpets were vacuumed and clean. Preference for bed firmness is highly variable from guest to guest. I would say that our bed was sort of middle of the road. Some people may find it a tad firm, others a bit soft. But probably acceptable to nearly everyone.
Upon check-in there was a hair from a previous guest on the seat of a particularly important piece of restroom equipment. Hmmmm, definitely not a good sign, but it wasn't a deal breaker for us (especially considering that there were no other "similar" rooms available that night).
The kitchen area was spotless. The dishwasher was immaculate. The dishes in the kitchen were all clean and were well-stocked. There were no funny smells coming from the refrigerator as we have occasionally encountered before.
As it typical for Homewood Suites, the sink and vanity area is outside the bathroom area. That's always a big plus in my book. Our room type had a shower only, so families with small children take note (other room types have a tub - ask the front desk if you're not sure what you're booking). The walk-in shower was very spacious and quite nice. Countertops and shower enclosure all had a medium-dark granite look. Water pressure was fine and hot water temperature was also good. But, oops, there was mildew on the shower enclosure. Not so bad that it looked like it was going to take over, but definitely noticeable. A couple of extra minutes by the cleaning staff with a bottle of Tilex and everything would be fine (of course we didn't notice this until the next morning, but we did mention it upon checkout).
Our room (515) was right next to the elevator. On a busy night I feared that hallway noise might be a problem but we never heard anything from the hall. The layout is such that the bed is pretty far removed from the hallway walls and room door, so that probably helps. Exterior noise, however, was another story.
This property is basically "L"-shaped. One leg of the "L" (the leg with the front desk in it) runs parallel to Cleveland Street and the other leg runs perpendicular extending out to just a a few feet from the off ramp for the freeway. We were right in the "elbow" of the "L", thus we figured that street noise would not be a problem, but the Virginia Beach Expressway (264) turned out to be noisier than we expected. It was definitely noticeable, even up on the 5th floor where were. A fan would probably mask it pretty well, but we always bring "emergency" ear plugs for just such a contingency so we were fine. I suspect that the rooms which face Cleveland Street are much quieter as there are more walls between you and the freeway. If noise is big concern, there's a room tip for you.
As we were there on a Friday night, the evening reception was not available, and we opted for the all-you-can breakfast bar at Shoney's Saturday morning, so I cannot comment on food at this property.
Management was thoughtful enough to include two laundry bags instead of one in the closet and, thankfully, plenty of hangers. Too bad the sliding glass door on the closest (left side) did not slide easily and would occasionally stick. Maybe we got the only room in the hotel with that problem.
The room was tastefully appointed and even included something I don't normally encounter - a wall-mounted hanging plant (fake, I'm sure). But a nice touch.
All told, this is not the best Homewood Suites I've ever stayed at. But it was certainly better than some (particularly the older ones). I can't give it an "Excellent" overall rating due to the housekeeping issues we encountered. Since I don't see a widespread trend of other reviewers reporting housekeeping issues, I'll chalk it up to being the exception rather than the rule. And, hey, I was getting the room for free by using my Hilton points, so I can't be too demanding. :-)
- Also Known As:
- Homewood Suites Virginia Beach Hotel
- Homewood Suites Virginia Beach Hotel Virginia Beach
- Virginia Beach Homewood
- Virginia Beach Homewood Suites
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Homewood Suites by Hilton® Norfolk/Virginia Beach hotel, located just 6 miles from the Norfolk International Airport (ORF). Our hotel in Virginia Beach offers both vacationers and extended stay guests the ideal place to stay when visiting Virginia Beach or Norfolk. Our spacious studio, one- and/or two-bedroom suites feature separate living and sleeping areas. Each has a fully-equipped kitchen with full-size refrigerator, microwave, 2-burner stove and dishwasher. You’ll find enough space for work, study or entertaining – plus all the comforts of home including two remote control TVs, complimentary high speed internet access, and two phones with voice mail. Enjoy a complimentary Suite Start® hot breakfast seven days a week and a Welcome Home Reception® featuring a complimentary light meal and beverages Monday through Thursday evenings (local laws apply). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Venere, Hilton Hotels, Booking.com, Tingo and Otel so you can book your Homewood Suites by Hilton Virginia Beach/Norfolk Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.